LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Was is it the right decision to not go for it on 4th down? With 3 + min left in the 4th

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was is it the right decision to not go for it on 4th down? With 3 + min left in the 4th

I wonder what the Game-Management Guide recommended?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What did NOT going for it get them 2-5, what would it have got them if they DID go for it, possibly still 2-5 or 3-4. With this coaching staff we will never know.

so you think if they pick up the first down they would have

scored a quick TD - 20-10

got onside kick

scored another quick TD - 20-17

got another onside kick

get into FG range to tie or score another TD to win

all in 3 min

with the worst offense in football

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD
  • thl408
Originally posted by SoCold:

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD
It's not about going for it on 4th down, and having a chance to win the game. You don't have to convince any of us that the 49ers had no chance in hell. But go down swinging, not punting. They were at home and the fans that stayed there till the end want to see them try.
In the end, it doesn't really matter. The team gave up at that point so the coaches were just following along. I understand the reason to punt. It's just from a fan standpoint, you want to see the team try till the end.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by thl408:

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD
It's not about going for it on 4th down, and having a chance to win the game. You don't have to convince any of us that the 49ers had no chance in hell. But go down swinging, not punting. They were at home and the fans that stayed there till the end want to see them try.
In the end, it doesn't really matter. The team gave up at that point so the coaches were just following along. I understand the reason to punt. It's just from a fan standpoint, you want to see the team try till the end.

Not how the nfl game is played.
The team needed 3 scores. In 3 min. Sorry but the game is over. That was Phil's stance. The game is over you punt the ball. LOL

Even if Kap YOLO's a TD on the 4th down play and has just over 2 min left you think they get the onside kick then score again !?!?!

when they scored 3 points in the first 57 min !?!?!

So they rolled over and gave up?
  • thl408

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD

Tell me how it's played.
The team needed 3 scores. In 3 min. Sorry but the game is over. That was Phil's stance. The game is over you punt the ball. LOL

Even if Kap YOLO's a TD on the 4th down play and has just over 2 min left you think they get the onside kick then score again !?!?!

when they scored 3 points in the first 57 min !?!?!

I agree with this. At that point, just stop the bleeding. Punt is fine. Game was lost 20 minutes before.

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD

Tell me how it's played.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:14 PM ]
I disagreed with the call to kick the fg when they did. Down 17 to zip and I think there was around 2 mins left in the third if I recall. it was like 3rd and 2 or 3 and I knew then we were playing passive p***y ball. I know many will say you have to take the 3 points. But I'm comfortable rolling the dice in that area of the field on that down and distance. You need 7 on that drive to give the team some confidence and bring some energy back to the crowd.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM ]
I couldn't believe it. That call made Mooch cringe...

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD

got onside kick

got another onside kick

all in 3 min

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD

Tell me how it's played.
Yep. Maybe all the fans should leave at half time when we are down by three scores. With this offense, it might as well be 100 to 0. If the team conceeds defeat, there is no reason to stay.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I couldn't believe it. That call made Mooch cringe...
felt exactly like mooch
He wanted to save their "bodies". Tomsula seems to have NO fire and NO leadership qualities. Just a soft, likable, player-friendly, yes-man.
I chose Yes just to see what the percentage was.

Totally agree. I like Tomsula a lot, but that was the first actual game-time decision that made me wonder if he's really cut out for the top job. You simply have to keep fighting. Anything less is bad for team moral IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone