LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Was is it the right decision to not go for it on 4th down? With 3 + min left in the 4th

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was is it the right decision to not go for it on 4th down? With 3 + min left in the 4th

I was so dumbfounded when I seen this - just wondering why nobody made a big deal about this.
Simple answer...no.
Nope. Teams would consider going for it there even down by one score. But to be down multiple scores, going for it is a no brainer.

Unless the goal is to a moral victory, which is what it seemed like, then yeah punting and keeping the score close was the right move.
  • thl408
Better to lose 20-3 than 27-3. Wait, no it's not.
that's what you get when 2nd rate HC and OC
Originally posted by cNiner:
that's what you get when 2nd rate HC and OC

8TH RATE
who cares?
I could not believe that I heard Phil Simms - say, it was the right decision. I was like huh? I could understand if it were early in the quarter - to me it was a total give-up. And the other thing that bothered me about this decision - the players were so ho-hum about it. Can you imagine if that was Steve Young? He would have been screaming his head off to go for it!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
lol weren't they on their own 30 something?

You don't put your defense in that spot. They wouldn't even have to get a first down to try a FG.

You punt and hope your D can get a turnover or quick 3 and out to flop field position.
Originally posted by SoCold:

You don't put your defense in that spot. They wouldn't even have to get a first down to try a FG.

You punt and hope your D can get a turnover or quick 3 and out to flop field position.

Are you serious? They needed like 4 yards for a 1st down. I know its just an opinion but just don't get it.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by alexsmith:

Are you serious? They needed like 4 yards for a 1st down. I know its just an opinion but just don't get it.

THEY WERE 1 FOR 11 ON THIRD DOWNS

Originally posted by alexsmith:

THEY WERE 1 FOR 11 ON THIRD DOWNS

Maybe they were saving their good stuff for 4th downs lol.
If youre down by 2 scores or more with under 5 mins to go in the 4th. You ALWAYS go for it. Anything else is conceding a loss.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
What did NOT going for it get them 2-5, what would it have got them if they DID go for it, possibly still 2-5 or 3-4. With this coaching staff we will never know.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The team needed 3 scores. In 3 min. Sorry but the game is over. That was Phil's stance. The game is over you punt the ball. LOL

Even if Kap YOLO's a TD on the 4th down play and has just over 2 min left you think they get the onside kick then score again !?!?!

when they scored 3 points in the first 57 min !?!?!

Share 49ersWebzone