LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

Among these guys, who is the worst HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Among these guys, who is the worst HC?

Originally posted by Jcool:

• Stud
How is it not Tomsula? The guy is not head coach material and it shows almost every week. Even his interviews lack any passion.
It's easily Tomsula. At least Sings teams fought. This 49ers team just lays down just like their HC and QB. It's pathetic.
  • Stud
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
It's easily Tomsula. At least Sings teams fought. This 49ers team just lays down just like their HC and QB. It's pathetic.

Yup. Punting last Thursday on 4th and 3. No desire, no fight. This team's coach's suck.
Dennis Erickson or Mike Nolan. Tomsula hasnt been in there long enough to say for certain. Hes got a young team, a crap OL, and had to assemble his staff from table scraps.
Originally posted by Stud:
How is it not Tomsula? The guy is not head coach material and it shows almost every week. Even his interviews lack any passion.

you probably haven't been watching this team long, or you are just sensational. Dennis erickson raped this franchise. Nolan, that fool f**ked up so many personnel and coaching decisions. Pretty much ruined Alex career cause of that shoulder injury. And singletary made terrible coordinator decisions but was probably the best of the above three. Tomsula is bad, really bad. He seems very overmatched. I also don't like our personnel usage all that much. Although he has managed to keep us healthy, guess that's ok.

Tomsula is not the worst though.
Originally posted by 16to87:
If Erickson was a deer in the headlights, what the hell is Tomsula

Blank stare.
well..... 7 weeks in and all we hear from the announcers is he's a good guy and you want him to do well.....

goddamn... the media put him in the friend zone.
I wonder who was involved with picking most of those guys?
Real question who is the worst OC Chryst or Raye.

Originally posted by CityKing415:

raye and its not even a convo. we had defensive players predicting our offense play in and play out. we ran like 4 plays. raye was f**king horrendous, jim hostler bad.
They were/are all bad but it is worth keeping in mind where each one started and the expectations that they came in with:
1. Erickson: Inherited a team that had gone to the playoffs. His best game was his first one, IIRC a huge win, team scored 49 points, pretty much downhill after that. Erickson was chosen by John York because he wanted a "ball coach".....someone who would not give John much heartache. Erickson was the only NFL experienced coach that the York family has hired.
2. Nolan: Inherited a expansion level team. Yes, he completely botched how he handled Alex but he also built up the FO, the scouting department, brought in McCloughan, who in turn brought in Baalke.
Gore, Staley, Willis, VD, Goldson, McDonald came in during Nolan's watch and who can forget the helicopter ride wooing of Justin Smith. Nolan was sunk by his OC's revolving door, and his desire to be known as the Boss.
3. Singletary inherited a semi-talented team and direction less team. While his football vision was limited, he toughened the squad up. If he had stayed out of Martz's way, he might have lasted a bit longer. Iupati and AD were picks influenced by Sing.....before the draft he told everyone that he planned to get physical. Sing also helped turn around VD, Brooks and Boone.
4. Tomsula: the most over sold among the bunch. Was supposed to be some sort of savant HC, a gem unearthed by the football minds of Jed and Trent. All based on his NFL Euro experience, and one win as an interim HC over a Cardinals team that had pretty much checked out....he was to guide the Niners back to the playoffs in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.

Best to worst: Sing-Nolan tied, followed by Erickson-Tomsula tied.
Tomsula may move up or down based on how the rest of the season fares.
[ Edited by darkniner on Oct 26, 2015 at 6:34 PM ]
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

raye and its not even a convo. we had defensive players predicting our offense play in and play out. we ran like 4 plays. raye was f**king horrendous, jim hostler bad.

I don't know, the 49ers ranked 18th in points and 27th in YPG in 2009, this year the 49ers rank 32nd and 32nd.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

I don't know, the 49ers ranked 18th in points and 27th in YPG in 2009, this year the 49ers rank 32nd and 32nd.

Yeah, but they were figured out quick. Atleast chryst has shown the ability to attempt to adjust.
I'd say Singletary. He had enough talent on the team to compete for the division, at the time, but always got less out of more. Harbaugh came in and took the team to the NFCCG right away with most of the core players that Singletary had.

Erickson probably looked a lot worse than he was because he was starting Rattay and Dorsey, on top of a major roster purge, and TO tearing apart the locker room.

Nolan did a little more to build the talent on the team, and had some early success. Just had no luck in keeping an OC, and thus, nearly ruined Alex Smith. He could have been a better coach if he could've gotten better production from Alex Smith. In hindsight, I think Norv Turner leaving screwed his tenure as HC. He never seemed to be the same after that.

Tomsula, I'm not overly confident in his ability. He is probably second to last right above Singletary. Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and not put him in the bottom, because I cannot remember a coach walking into a sh*t storm like this one, maybe ever.
Share 49ersWebzone