LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Player Personnel: Planning For Next Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I should certainly figure to be a busy off-season. It would be really nice if the team could bring back Williams. I'm just not sure if he'll want to test free agency. At 26, he and Purcell could man the position for quite some time. I like Dorsey, but he's 30 this year and is not a great fit at DE. If we re-sign Williams, I'd try to trade Dorsey because Dial also can play NT and serve as a tertiary backup there. Dial does a good job occupying blockers, but he's not much of a pass-rush threat either. The 4-3 honestly might be a good idea, but I don't think they make the switch because of Armstead. They want him playing the 4 technique. Have to stay in the 3-4 to do that.

The OL is definitely the most important. Even with our awful defense and terrible miscommunications, they've only given up 20 points in each of the past two games (and it would've been three games of 20 if not for that late collapse against NYG...). On offense, we cannot do anything against a team with any semblance of a pass rush. The moment the ball is snapped Devey gets slaughtered like a lamb for Passover.

I'd sign a free agent OG or C. If Alex Mack actually voided his deal, AND came here, then I'd slide Kilgore to OG and then draft a guard high to compete with Tiller, Silberman, Martin and Thomas. Kilgore would obviously stay the backup center. If we don't get a FA center, we need to draft a center high. I'd also take a tackle high to compete to start at RT, whether Anthony Davis comes back or not.

Plain and simple, we need to be able to move the ball and we can't do that, run or pass, with a line that gives up immediate pressure with no place to step up.

Priority list for me:

1. OL
2. OLB
3. RB (Hyde never protects himself, and we have no option behind him)
4. DE with pass rush ability
5. WR because we need more playmakers; a tall, fast red-zone threat would be nice
6. ILB insurance

Agree with your priority list. For OL and OLB, I think we should double dip in FA and the draft. 1 OL and 1 OLB in FA, then another OL and OLB on Days 1 and 2 of the draft. Potentially turn a big weakness into a strength overnight.

We have some young depth on the d-line, but no difference makers. Maybe Armstead develops into one. This is an area where I'd like to see us aggressively go after a stud DE. If he's not franchised, I'd like to make a run at Muhammed Wilkerson.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 23, 2015 at 8:09 PM ]
lol we're gonna f**king suck again for a decade. miss you harbaugh.
If we get a Top 5 pick, we need to just trade down and try to get as many linemen as possible who can help us. We also need to get a couple of playmaking receivers in free agency or in a trade.
Our cap number is pretty solid. I think the original poster forgot to mention the cap rollover.

If that holds true, I'm not an advocate of spending in free agency just because the money is there.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
A lot depends on what we do with coaching. I know this is a personnel thread but organizationally I think we need to shift from an archaic defense first mentality to a more modern offense first mentality. This might require a new GM. Defensively, these days, you just need to stop the run decently but more importantly rush the passer. Every Defense needs to do this..theres no wiggle room. To have our team centered around defense is useless bc all defenses do the need to do the exact same thing. Offense is where our true identity needs to comes from.

Our (hopefully new) HC will kinda predicate what we need to do on offense. Obviously we need to retool the entire o line. We need another starting caliber RB as Hyde, the way he runs now, wont make it to 30 in this league. We need another good TE and we need to finally hit on a WR.

I dont know qb prospects in the draft..but we need one along with a vet. If Kap doesnt restructure he needs to go. If he does then he needs to compete for his job. We cant waste anymore time waiting for him to have the perfect offensive situation so he MIGHT be consistent. We need a qb that can make some lemonade with some damn lemons.

We are good cap wise and, in my opinion, arent far away from playoff contention with competent coaching. As someone stated eariler I agree with using FA to help Defense and using a quality draft to address offense..along with 1 big time and small time FA along the line.

But my first point is my biggest concern. This organization HAS to change its mindset. We've been ranked at the bottom on offense for well over a decade. We almost won a SB thst way, but didnt. This isnt 2004 talent wise so we're not too far away. But our management needs to extract its head from its ass and wake up and start acting like professionals. Time to join everybody else in the 21st century.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
First off, before we talk about anything, you must take Colin Kaepernick off the list right off the bat. I guarantee you he will be a goner.
Originally posted by 9moon:
don't get mad me cause your GQ magazine of Kaep no longer has value, I've told you stop buying them..

by the way, do you know if Kaep ever got your letter or was that a tweet??

" Dear Keap, I wrote you but still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin
'Sometimes I scribble addresses too sloppy when I jot 'em
But anyways, f**k it, what's been up? Man how's your tatte'd bohhd???"

This is what needs to be fixed above everything else.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/ex-nfl-lineman-49ers-o-line-worst-last-three-decades
Originally posted by Rascal:
First off, before we talk about anything, you must take Colin Kaepernick off the list right off the bat. I guarantee you he will be a goner.

Wrong...fix the line and coaching staff
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agree with your priority list. For OL and OLB, I think we should double dip in FA and the draft. 1 OL and 1 OLB in FA, then another OL and OLB on Days 1 and 2 of the draft. Potentially turn a big weakness into a strength overnight.

We have some young depth on the d-line, but no difference makers. Maybe Armstead develops into one. This is an area where I'd like to see us aggressively go after a stud DE. If he's not franchised, I'd like to make a run at Muhammed Wilkerson.

Wilkerson would be amazing! Game changer gonna get paid and not sure our current staff will give him the cash.
I am actually optimistic going forward. We are on pace for a high draft pick, but aren't 2 -5 bad in terms of our talent. With the right coaching, scheme, or an added player here and there, this team can make a little noise in 2016.

I'm on board with keeping Colin Kaepernick in 2016. For one, I don't think any QB would've come into this situation and succeeded. Also, I have accepted what his faults are and can live with them, until we are in a better position to bring in someone better. I do not consider using our first round pick on a QB in 2016 someone better. If our lines are trash (the biggest issue with the team now in terms of talent), then it really won't matter who we have. I am willing to admit, a more mobile QB may be able to make some plays (Russell Wilson has a terrible line and less talent at receiver, yet still gets it done), but we have yet to actually do what the Seahawks do which is play to our QB's strengths. Kap has a strong arm, perfect for deep passing, but we can't and haven't protected him. We need a GREAT pass blocking O-line to give Kap the time to hit guys like Smith and Simpson deep and get get safeties to back off. I would still look for a QB to push our starter, just not in the first round.

At running back, we are set with Carlos Hyde, but like many others, his running style scares me. He could be an Earl Campbell like back in the sense that he has four great years and then declines because of accumulated injuries. We need another running back just for insurance. Mike Davis isn't quiet ready yet, but it's not his fault. We don't run block well either. Jarryd Hayne should look a lot better with a year under his belt. Would anyone be willing to kick the tires on Kendall Hunter? Our fullback, Bruce Miller is a keeper.

At TE, I like Garrett Celek. Vance McDonald is a great blocker, but is snake bit as a pass catcher. He's worth letting his contract play out unless we can get three TE's on the roster that can replace what he brings to the table in blocking and be a better receiver. I'd still make an effort to get him involved in the game more, which may seem crazy to some. It would be nice if we saw a deliberate attempt from our coaches to get the ball in the hands of certain players X amount of times per game to take advantage of match ups.

I agree with the original poster. Blow up the entire O-line, with the exception of Kilgore, Staley, Tiller, Thomas, and we need to try and sign Alex Boone. Marcus Martin is going to the bench. Perhaps he may look better with a decent guard playing next to him, but for now, he is not a starter. I'd use our first round pick on a tackle. Colin Kaepernick is not a top 5 QB, but even with his faults, he can still be a dangerous QB. Get him some great pass protection (I'm taking top 5 O-line), and we can do some damage on offense without adding anyone else on offense. If Kap still cannot get it done with the improved pass pro, then we move on. We can be in a far worse situation with our QB, in that we could be on the hook for 18 million a year and a huge signing bonus. Give Baalke credit for the deal he got done with Kap.

On D-line, I want Arik Armstead starting like yesterday. Tank Carradine should be playing double the snaps he is getting now. Let Dial back up at DE and Dorsey can backup at NT. If you recall, Dorsey's career was going nowhere in Kansas City s a 3-4 DE. Why try it again here? We could stand to add another guy at DE, but we may not be in as much trouble as we appear at that position if only we'd play the talent that is wasting away on the bench.

Does anyone miss the days when a defender would get their hands on a player and they would be tackled immediately? There was no yards after contact. We need a top tier ILB. For years, some posters made the foolish argument that we didn't need two All-Pro ILBs. Now they see what a difference things make. Now if Bowman was in his 2013 form, things would look a lot better, but he can't account for Michael Wilhoite. I'm hoping they go ILB in the 2nd.

I think our defensive backfield is fine and would look much better with an actual pass rush. No elite players, but they are good enough given the position we are in.

In the draft, I'd like to see OT, ILB, QB, OLB, RB, and C, with about six draft picks to spare.

I am curious to see if Baalke will go against his usual instinct and make a free agency splash. My preference is to either take care of the O-line or get another pass rusher to make defenses account for someone besides Aaron Lynch. Someone mentioned that he doesn't need to be Aldon Smith, and I agree. If Aaron Lynch can just maintain his current level of play, putting a good pass rusher opposite of him, AND have Arik Armstead and Tank Carradine on that D-line would give us the potential have having a really good front 7 again. Mangini's crazy schemes may actually work.

Priority list for me:

1. OL
2. OLB
5. WR because we need more playmakers; a tall, fast red-zone threat would be nice
6. ILB insurance

I agree with the positions, but I'd prioritize them a little differently.

1) Oline
Kaep will probably never read a defense like Manning, but no QB can fulfill their potential when they are running for their life.

2) OLB
It is painfully obvious that Lynch is the only player that can get consistent pressure. The loss of Aldon was catastrophic to the pass rush

3) DE
The Niners are basically playing 3 NT on their dline. 1st they need to take the training wheels off Armstead, but they could also use a bookend that can collapse the pocket.

3b) QB prospect
Kaep seems to respond to a challenge. They've just neglected this position for way too many drafts.

4) WR
They definitely need someone who can beat man coverage and get open.

5) ILB
Depending on BPA, this may actually end up being much higher. It seems like Bowmans instincts are still there, but they don't have any game changers at the moment.

*RB
They can find value late in the draft. Maybe with one of their multiple late round picks
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I should certainly figure to be a busy off-season. It would be really nice if the team could bring back Williams. I'm just not sure if he'll want to test free agency. At 26, he and Purcell could man the position for quite some time. I like Dorsey, but he's 30 this year and is not a great fit at DE. If we re-sign Williams, I'd try to trade Dorsey because Dial also can play NT and serve as a tertiary backup there. Dial does a good job occupying blockers, but he's not much of a pass-rush threat either. The 4-3 honestly might be a good idea, but I don't think they make the switch because of Armstead. They want him playing the 4 technique. Have to stay in the 3-4 to do that.

The OL is definitely the most important. Even with our awful defense and terrible miscommunications, they've only given up 20 points in each of the past two games (and it would've been three games of 20 if not for that late collapse against NYG...). On offense, we cannot do anything against a team with any semblance of a pass rush. The moment the ball is snapped Devey gets slaughtered like a lamb for Passover.

I'd sign a free agent OG or C. If Alex Mack actually voided his deal, AND came here, then I'd slide Kilgore to OG and then draft a guard high to compete with Tiller, Silberman, Martin and Thomas. Kilgore would obviously stay the backup center. If we don't get a FA center, we need to draft a center high. I'd also take a tackle high to compete to start at RT, whether Anthony Davis comes back or not.

Plain and simple, we need to be able to move the ball and we can't do that, run or pass, with a line that gives up immediate pressure with no place to step up.

Priority list for me:

1. OL
2. OLB
6. ILB insurance

I really like the Oline/OLB double dip.

That makes it easier to go BPA in the first.
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/128127592/nfl-free-agents-2016-preview
there are a few huge names on this list.

LT Trent Williams
C Stephen Wisnewski
RB Lamar Miller
WR Demarium Thomas
WR T.Y. Hilton
WR Ashlon Jeffrey (Best pairing with Toery Smith?)
DE Muhammad Wilkerson
So many OLBs! Justin Houstan, Von Miller and Ryan Kerrigan
CB Josh Norman (that'd be sweet)
CB Leon Hall
CB Sean Smith (Need a tall guy)
S Eric Berry

We could break the bank and sign one or 2 of these guys
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Oct 24, 2015 at 6:35 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Rascal:

Wrong...fix the line and coaching staff

Sorry bruh, is too late, we have all seen enough of Kap, he is just not a franchise quality QB, the wheel is already in motion.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I like this kind of party!

ha! 50 million in cap space. I have never hard of such a thing! But I agree with your cuts(except for Boone). Kapernick is on that bubble to, so if we cut him, we could have 65 million? We could basically buy the entire FA class!

It's really time to move on from these highly paid vets who aren't producing much.
Share 49ersWebzone