LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Bethea placed on IR

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by thl408:
Wow that is 'something big'. Time for toasty Pop Tartts.

We will see if the kid is ready.

Foles sucks so it should be a good early game for him to start in.

Be that as it may, we have a habit of making mediocre QB's look like Hall of Famers if their wide open receivers don't drop the ball.
With Bethea hurt, shouldn't Ward be tried at safety? I thought that this was Wards natural position. I like Tartt, but I'd sure like to Ward at that position. What do you think?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Damn, this sucks. I liked Bethea.

Time to see what Tartt can do. If he plays well, Bethea probably gets released in the off-season.

wuuut? Bethea has been one of the few solid players all season on this burning dumpster fire of a defense.

Guess who was the only guy bringing down lynch on that horrid opening drive of seattle's?

No way. Bethea has been the best free agent we've seen, and has more good football in him.

He's in. Keeper.

It depends how Tartt performs these next 9 games. If he shows he's starter material, Reid and Tartt will be your starting safeties for next year.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Ah man hate to see that especially a veteran like Bethea who doesn't have many years left. Not only that, I'd have tried to trade him to a contender that needs a safety for something if that was even possible.

Tartt and Reid will be our starting safeties next year so we get a heads start in that era. Will be fun watching Tartt out there, loved the way he came and attacked ball carriers.

It also means Reaser replaces Tartt in the hybrid role.

I was wondering who backed them up. Could be Ward but I think if Tartt went down it would be LJ McCray
Tough break, Bethea is a real pro. Picked the wrong team in free agency.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We lose veteran leadership in the secondary, but gain a much more ferocious hitting presence with superior coverage range and more upside. He flashes playmaking ability in stopping the run as well, and with a good rest of the season he'd certainly be the starter next year.

I agree. Could be a good thing. I thought Bethea was playing below average this year.
Sucks what happened to Bethea but Tartt gets to play a lot more. It's all about growth of young guys now.
Bethea is one of the reasons we got toasted week in and out imo.

Great "tackler" but is too slow nowadays and just gets beat on everything deep .

I remember he got dusted on a 2nd and goal on a varsity type dig route a few weeks back.

Next man >
Was playing like s**t all season.
he has sucked this year

44 combined tackles in 7 games. yeah he sucked. playing in manginis corn maze game plans who can blame the lower pd's.I smell fo apologies, iron man. You flat out wrong.
All these people saying hes too slow are overlooking manginis over complicated ass schemes. Guys who have been here for a couple years now have, at times, looked like completely different players. Weve questioned whether they still have "it". I would say that question would be valid had it been 1 or 2 players but thats not the case. When multiple players are having the same issues you should probably start looking elsewhere. And thats when I point the finger at the coaching staff.

Both Reid and Bethea have been caught out of position multiple times.
Brock has been burned and looked more confused then he ever has before.
Wilhoite hasnt been playing like the Wilhoite of 13'/14'
Bowman has made mistakes that hes never made before (though theres always the excuse it may be his knee)
Brooks/Lynch out in coverage way more than they ever have and way more than they ever should

Did these guys all get worse over night or is there more to the story?

We all bagged on Fangio for never adjusting his scheme but its like Mangini took that and vowed he would never be accused of that. Instead he throws a hodge podge of different defenses out every week. It may be putting too much on everyones plate at one time.

Its obvious that we dont have the same talent level weve had in the past but I think we have more then enough of it to be better then damn near last in the NFL. I think Mangini is more the problem then talent.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
All these people saying hes too slow are overlooking manginis over complicated ass schemes. Guys who have been here for a couple years now have, at times, looked like completely different players. Weve questioned whether they still have "it". I would say that question would be valid had it been 1 or 2 players but thats not the case. When multiple players are having the same issues you should probably start looking elsewhere. And thats when I point the finger at the coaching staff.

Both Reid and Bethea have been caught out of position multiple times.
Brock has been burned and looked more confused then he ever has before.
Wilhoite hasnt been playing like the Wilhoite of 13'/14'
Bowman has made mistakes that hes never made before (though theres always the excuse it may be his knee)
Brooks/Lynch out in coverage way more than they ever have and way more than they ever should

Did these guys all get worse over night or is there more to the story?

We all bagged on Fangio for never adjusting his scheme but its like Mangini took that and vowed he would never be accused of that. Instead he throws a hodge podge of different defenses out every week. It may be putting too much on everyones plate at one time.

Its obvious that we dont have the same talent level weve had in the past but I think we have more then enough of it to be better then damn near last in the NFL. I think Mangini is more the problem then talent.

Agree. Issue is more scheme than talent.

Bethea is still a really good player. Everybody was struggling in this scheme. If it was just him regressing, than you can point and say he's dropping off. But it's not just him. Damn near everyone has sharply declined.

We're 7 weeks in and there are still busted coverages all over the place. These are the same players that were executing a far more complicated coverage scheme under Fangio. It's not that Mangini's scheme is complex, just the opposite. It's simpler to teach, and also simpler for opposing offenses to beat, especially when you don't have a pass rush.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Boagrius49:
4th quarter I believe. Was an impressive play

Wow. A solo tackle on Beast Mode in the backfield?

When was the last time that happened?
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Ah man hate to see that especially a veteran like Bethea who doesn't have many years left. Not only that, I'd have tried to trade him to a contender that needs a safety for something if that was even possible.

Tartt and Reid will be our starting safeties next year so we get a heads start in that era. Will be fun watching Tartt out there, loved the way he came and attacked ball carriers.

It also means Reaser replaces Tartt in the hybrid role.

I was wondering who backed them up. Could be Ward but I think if Tartt went down it would be LJ McCray

What happened to Dontae Johnson?
Share 49ersWebzone