LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Week 6 Balt Ravens coaches film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's not the first time Kaep was late throwing to Boldin on that play or similar plays. He's been late to Boldin for the last 2 games now as far as I know . Annoying, because he's on time, on the money with other guys, and could have given more room for Boldin to get more yards.

J talked about this as well.

I find myself yelling, "Now!" at the screen on plays like this. If he hits some of these routes earlier, they could be big time plays with lots of YAC.

it looks like maybe he is dropping back a little too far on his bootleg. It isn't just that the ball is slow coming out, but that he is taking a second to long to come out of his break to even be able to throw.
Kap seems to be more comfortable in base packages. His reads are simple and he's getting the ball out faster. Geep is not asking him to go through multiple reads. Cosell touched on that. If it works stay with it. Get Kap comfortable and confident. Versus Seattle it will be much tougher. Seattle will hold and Kap may have to improvise which can get him in trouble. Makes him hold the ball longer. He has to be confident and trust his reads. Maybe get some PI or holding calls.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's not the first time Kaep was late throwing to Boldin on that play or similar plays. He's been late to Boldin for the last 2 games now as far as I know . Annoying, because he's on time, on the money with other guys, and could have given more room for Boldin to get more yards.

J talked about this as well.

I find myself yelling, "Now!" at the screen on plays like this. If he hits some of these routes earlier, they could be big time plays with lots of YAC.

it looks like maybe he is dropping back a little too far on his bootleg. It isn't just that the ball is slow coming out, but that he is taking a second to long to come out of his break to even be able to throw.

Great eye and insight!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 20, 2015 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Always get excited to read your OP!

A few things to keep in mind off the top of my head for context (and you all can correct me if wrong):
  • Ravens have an enormous OL and DL and I think that showed in this game; these fatties were going to win some battles for sure
  • Forsett was coming in off a 120 yard performance and 50 yards receiving (another very good back basically, shut down)
  • Flacco, may still be the best deep-ball thrower in the game (just ask Acker...TD and INT)
  • The Ravens secondary was decimated with injuries (and lost another during the game)
  • Ravens fans want Ozzie fired esp. after watching what Boldin and Smith did to them
For sure, I've been saying it for a couple years - Flacco's deep ball is one of the prettiest I've ever seen.

The TD throw was just flat impressive. I can't put any blame on anyone on our D for that TD. We pressured Flacco and he threw the thing off his back foot, nearly 50 yards downfield from where he thew it and put it on an absolute dime. It was one of the best throws I've seen this year from any QB.

I really like flacco as a qb(dont like his team), to me, and Id love your input on this, I believe upper echleon qb's are made in their 30's, this is when they peak to me because its such a mental game. I think flacco will jump into that phillip rivers level into is early to mid thirties to be honest, not quite elite but very close. He can. Personally, this is why I have hope for colin.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Hey Johnny did Vernon contribute at all. I know he didn't catch any passes but how was his blocking? Someone mentioned just his presence was enough to clear out underneath routes. True?

yeah, I think his knee wasn't 100%. He didn't play a ton, he was a rotational player. We tried to dial up a few passing plays to him, but, on those plays, for one reason or another, CK wasn't able to get the time to hit him.
Originally posted by Oztroy:
thank you so much for these threads. it helps me understand the intricacies of the game. I don't have much to add so I don't post in here. but I do have loads of questions.

you don't normally analyse sacks but I was interested in understanding a niners 3 and 8 about 2 minutes to go in the second quarter. it appeared 2 ravens got through the OL, and sacked kap. I wanted to know what hayne should have done in this to try and stop the rush.

here's the play you mentioned - I don't put this sack on him, but more on Devey/Boone. Everything I've seen in playbooks, usually, if a RB is going to give inside help on a rush, it's in the "A" gap or "2" hole(between C and RG).

It's 3rd and 8, so we're going to try and go for the sticks here. It's a streak/out concept. We've run this concept a lot over the years. You clear out the outside space and hit an out route to your receiver who has inside leverage.

Vernon has his outside release and jab steps on his out route.

IMO VD wins his battle and is open, but CK can't get him the ball because of the pressure. He also had Patton as an option on the backside.

The Ravens are gonna try and overload the right side of the line. However, we slide the line to the right and should be able to pick this up.

You see the line slide to the right and Hayne moves to fill the "a" gap. As far as I've seen in all my playbooks, this should be where Hayne picks up the rusher. You, generally, either have your RB fill the inside "A" gap or help the tackle with the outside rush. On a line slide, he shouldn't be outside help.

Balt actually runs a stunt off this side. The inside rusher pushes up field on the outside shoulder of Devey and the outside rusher cuts in.

For some reason, Devey slides back in on the inside rushing defender. This is a big mistake, he has both Hayne and Martin helping inside. Boone also gets too tall on his block and is easily shucked.

That's just ugly....3 blockers on 1 guy with 1 defender coming free...

CK then tries to step up and away from the free rusher, but Boone's man is there to get him. I also pointed out how, from this angle, you can see VD won his battle. I believe, if CK has the time, he hits VD on this play.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 20, 2015 at 1:13 PM ]
  • thl408
Both of Kap's big throws were off rather simple concepts. I am referring to Miller's and Torrey's bomb. Most of the other throws were quick read plays designed to get the ball out fast. Kap was solid with his quick decision making on these 3 step timing throws. A bunch of Slant-Flat concepts called. There were a couple plays where Geep dialed up more complex combinations, but they did not have good results. One was a near INT to Boldin when Boldin stopped and Kap threw it as if he expected Boldin to keep running.

Geep opened the game with a bunch of short throws to the flats. I think that set up Miller's deep route nicely. Likewise, Torrey opened the game running a few deep curls, and that set up the double move nicely on Wright. I'll try to show the set up plays that occurred before the deep throws to Miller/Torrey.

Defensively I finally saw a play that, without a doubt, was pattern matching with Bethea playing Quarters. And to no surprise, Flacco had a bunch of time and found no one open, scrambled, and threw it away. So the question is why is Mangini still mucking around with soft zone? Soft zones that always get exposed when a vet QB has time, and we know how impotent the 4 man pass rush is. Steve Smith deep crosses over the middle found holes again. When Mangini rushes 3 and drops 8 into zone, it is some very funky zones being played, like a 2-4-2 set up. The FGs given up in the first half were thanks to a couple Steve Smith drops in the end zone. The defense in the 2nd half was not good. BAL drives were: driving then Acker INT, long drive TD, long drive FG, long drive TD, driving time runs out. Pretty shaky performance overall imo.

That Flacco INT to Acker was lol bad. Acker was just sitting there covering grass, being harmless, then Flacco chucks it up there with no route in the area. Liked the game from Ward and I think he needs to be on the field whenever possible. Safe to say the experiment with Brock as slot CB is over. Brock as a zone defender is not good. One issue I see is the 49er WRs struggling to get open versus man coverage. Torrey is the only player able to create separation. VD has checked out. When asked to block on WR screens he just dgaf anymore and it's sad. Also can't separate when going versus man coverage.
Originally posted by thl408:
. The FGs given up in the first half were thanks to a couple Steve Smith drops in the end zone. The defense in the 2nd half was not good. BAL drives were: driving then Acker INT, long drive TD, long drive FG, long drive TD, driving time runs out. Pretty shaky performance overall imo

The first one was a blown coverage by Tartt. He got confused and you can see Brock motion something at him at the end of the play.
Anyone have a clue as to how Kap can speed up those quick throws to the flat that Johhny illustrated?

That Flacco INT to Acker was lol bad. Acker was just sitting there...

Flacco's INT to Acker was the best punt of the day. And great return too!

That Flacco INT to Acker was lol bad. Acker was just sitting there...

Flacco's INT to Acker was the best punt of the day. And great return too!

Acker was running with a loaf of bread. I was so scared someone was going to come up and knocked it loose. I think going forward, Acker is going to be something special. He's just taking his lumps now.

Geep opened the game with a bunch of short throws to the flats. I think that set up Miller's deep route nicely. Likewise, Torrey opened the game running a few deep curls, and that set up the double move nicely on Wright. I'll try to show the set up plays that occurred before the deep throws to Miller/Torrey.

Not to steal your thunder, but, I had just cut up one of those throws you are talking about.

11:53 1st QTR

we come out with 3 TE's and Balt gives a cover 6 look. We're going to motion VD across the formation twice.

Here's after the back and forth motion, we're going to run another slide concept.

The defense actually plays fairly disciplined here.

With cover 6, the ILB on the 2 side has to get some depth. one of the quarters safeties abandons his zone once he identifies the slide.

The OLB is in a tough spot, he's forced to choose between CK or McD and goes after CK.

easy pitch and catch for about 10 yards.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Anyone have a clue as to how Kap can speed up those quick throws to the flat that Johhny illustrated?

The biggest thing is improved anticipation. He waited until he turned around and saw Boldin open to start his throwing motion. If he trusts what he was seeing pre-snap(the man-coverage) and how the defender was going to have to fight through the traffic, he turns around and starts his throwing motion immediately, he waited just enough to see that Boldin was open before pulling the trigger. What he also needs to be able to do is put that ball on a little more of a line. I know that, sometimes, he puts too much on it, but not in this case.
Here's that dropped TD. one thing we did, was after the NY game, we've changed up our Big Dime package. We now have Reid playing underneath and Tartt playing the FS role.

We're going to come out in our Big Dime with Reid next to Bowman and play cover 2-man. Tartt is saying something to Bowman, who looks confused about what Tartt is saying.

After Tartt says something to him, Bow looks around with his arms up, pretty much for about 2-3 seconds back and forth, trying to understand why it was that Tartt said whatever he said.

At the snap, Tartt's eyes are in the backfield. Brock takes outside leverage, expecting inside safety help.

Tartt pretty much never moves. His eyes in the backfield the whole time. He needs to get his head on a swivel and identify where the threats are coming from.

You see how much space SS had to work.

It's a miracle that wasn't a TD.

Brock then got up, noticeably irritated with Tartt and gave him a smack on his back to tell him something.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's that dropped TD. one thing we did, was after the NY game, we've changed up our Big Dime package. We now have Reid playing underneath and Tartt playing the FS role.

Brock then got up, noticeably irritated with Tartt and gave him a smack on his back to tell him something.

Nice illustration. Doesn't seem like a tough one to read for Tartt here unless he thought he was in to help Bowman defend that same route he got beat on for the TD against the Giants.

That said, I highly doubt it...blown coverage to me...and Brock pretty much confirms that post play.
Share 49ersWebzone