Brooks
Hyde
Williams
Celek
Boldin
Miller
Ward
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
I think the sheep thing to do is freak out, bury the team like every sensational media member does wouldnt you? thats the definition of following the masses. Since the salary cap era began every team other then the patriots in the brady era have gone through significant transition periods. Colts had to go 1-15 between manning and luck. During that time the packers have had favre and rodgers and struggled at times. We had a four year window, a great one at that, they couldnt get it done. We are potentially transitioning from one window into another. Unless you have a great Qb, like peyton manning, drew brees, aaron rodgers, and brady you need a lot of pieces around your qb. We lost a lot of talent, I personally thought the young guys would develop faster, i was wrong. I have admitted several times ive been wrong, I have the testicular fortitude unlike some on this board, to say I am wrong. But I also try to see the silver lining.

Our average age is 25 on the team, we have potentially 44 million in cap space, a lot of players with room to grow, very few big free agents to resign, this isnt the 2004-2008 teams that had a lot of old players that were or always garbage (tully banta cain, mark roman, mike lewis, nate clements with his enormous contract, kevan barlow, ken dorsey, cody pickett, jonas jennings, kwame harris) etc. etc. The young guys who are struggling also have a room to improve and the ability to do so. Some of the young guys are playing well, some are just playing inconsistent which is par for the course with rookies and second year players. Some of the players who suck will probably either be on the bench or cut next year( devey, potentially pears). We have guys coming back kilgore, anthony davis(not holding my breath).

If you dont undertand this is how the nfl works, that teams have down years, and some teams, really really down years. Then you dont understand the nfl, parity is a key theme in the nfl, the talent level between good and bad teams is usually rarely as far off as it seems, the niners have some weaknesses and issues that exxacerbate each other, but i personally dont think its more then a good offseason can fix as they do have talent. The niners need to evaluate the players, the coaching staff and front office, but thats what the rest of this season is for. They need to find who the players to best build around are.

Absolutely terrific post. You have love all these one-line worthless posts.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think the sheep thing to do is freak out, bury the team like every sensational media member does wouldnt you? thats the definition of following the masses. Since the salary cap era began every team other then the patriots in the brady era have gone through significant transition periods. Colts had to go 1-15 between manning and luck. During that time the packers have had favre and rodgers and struggled at times. We had a four year window, a great one at that, they couldnt get it done. We are potentially transitioning from one window into another. Unless you have a great Qb, like peyton manning, drew brees, aaron rodgers, and brady you need a lot of pieces around your qb. We lost a lot of talent, I personally thought the young guys would develop faster, i was wrong. I have admitted several times ive been wrong, I have the testicular fortitude unlike some on this board, to say I am wrong. But I also try to see the silver lining.

Our average age is 25 on the team, we have potentially 44 million in cap space, a lot of players with room to grow, very few big free agents to resign, this isnt the 2004-2008 teams that had a lot of old players that were or always garbage (tully banta cain, mark roman, mike lewis, nate clements with his enormous contract, kevan barlow, ken dorsey, cody pickett, jonas jennings, kwame harris) etc. etc. The young guys who are struggling also have a room to improve and the ability to do so. Some of the young guys are playing well, some are just playing inconsistent which is par for the course with rookies and second year players. Some of the players who suck will probably either be on the bench or cut next year( devey, potentially pears). We have guys coming back kilgore, anthony davis(not holding my breath).

If you dont undertand this is how the nfl works, that teams have down years, and some teams, really really down years. Then you dont understand the nfl, parity is a key theme in the nfl, the talent level between good and bad teams is usually rarely as far off as it seems, the niners have some weaknesses and issues that exxacerbate each other, but i personally dont think its more then a good offseason can fix as they do have talent. The niners need to evaluate the players, the coaching staff and front office, but thats what the rest of this season is for. They need to find who the players to best build around are.

Nailed it. We are in excellent position to rebuild from a roster standpoint. This is nothing like the recent dark ages.

We had 3 consecutive years where we were in the top 4 teams in the NFL. Some of these guys have no appreciation of how hard that is to do. We were spoiled by the 80s and 90s when there was either no salary cap or we operated like there wasn't one. These cycles are inevitable in the modern NFL.
  • Drift
  • Veteran
Watching this year from Australia:

Hyde. That spin.
Lynch. Pressure.
Staley. A rock in a hard place.
Boldin. Making catches.
Celek. Always getting it done.
Miller. Making holes.
Bowman. Nuff said.
Armistead. Young buck coming good.
Ward. Standout in the secondary.
Tartt. For the hits.

And Hayne for the story.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Nailed it. We are in excellent position to rebuild from a roster standpoint. This is nothing like the recent dark ages.

We had 3 consecutive years where we were in the top 4 teams in the NFL. Some of these guys have no appreciation of how hard that is to do. We were spoiled by the 80s and 90s when there was either no salary cap or we operated like there wasn't one. These cycles are inevitable in the modern NFL.

I would absolutely agree on that point that we are a very spoiled fan base. This isnt the raiders that had an old team with a ton of Hefty contracts. They had to gut the team for like 2 years before they could even begin to rebuild. We are in a good place, not the best obviously, but good enough to bounce back.
Elite/All-Pro level
T1-Joe Staley
T1-Aaron Lynch
3-Carlos Hyde
Very good/Pro bowl level
4-Alex Boone
5-Anthonie Bethea
6-Daniel Kilgore
7-Navorro Bowman
Good
8-Tramaine Brock
9-Eric Reid
10-Torrey Smith

Ps: When I say some player is All-Pro or Pro Bowl level I'm not saying that he will receive the honors, I am just saying that he could receive it if he continues playing well and is not injured
Ps2: Don't kill me for putting Bowman at 7

I would absolutely agree on that point that we are a very spoiled fan base. This isnt the raiders that had an old team with a ton of Hefty contracts. They had to gut the team for like 2 years before they could even begin to rebuild. We are in a good place, not the best obviously, but good enough to bounce back.

I think you guys are putting too much faith in the "organization" which is far more concerning than our talented players.

Call me a downer, but I see the 2000s all over again. Lovable coaching personalities that don't deliver.

Yup. I just spotted another.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Yup. I just spotted another.

Same here.

Thank God this isn't tennis. Football, despite Madden and FanDual FF, this is a TEAM game.

Proof? Name one pro-bowler who finished out last year on our top 5 defense?

This is an exercise in individualism.

Ok that's a fair assesment. But when you have the 31st ranked D and the 25th ranked O, it's hard to list that team as a top anything.

I like facts and not arguments. One thing is for good teams to have a down year. Last year at 8-8 is one of those down years because of all the injuries. But to go from the top 5 D in a "down year" to 31st... that's not down, that's a cataclysm.
No order in particular.

Staley
Boone
Kaepernick
Hyde
Boldin
T. Smith
Lynch
I. Williams
Bowman (his slight decline has been largely overblown - he's not going to cover quicker RB's or receivers but he's been ok against TE's and generally has been put in a position to fail in coverage more often than not. Still playing the run well. Lost a little something but he's still very good and will probably get better as the year goes on if he stays healthy.)
Dial - getting some criticism for not making splash plays but he does his job well when he's in there.
Originally posted by judodono:

I think you guys are putting too much faith in the "organization" which is far more concerning than our talented players.

Call me a downer, but I see the 2000s all over again. Lovable coaching personalities that don't deliver
I agree with almost everything said I quoted. We do have talent and money to spend. I have no faith in the York's/Baalke to make any use of it.
And the definition of sheep is accurate.. which is why I used the term blind sheep.
Originally posted by MasterBlaster:

I like facts and not arguments. One thing is for good teams to have a down year. Last year at 8-8 is one of those down years because of all the injuries. But to go from the top 5 D in a "down year" to 31st... that's not down, that's a cataclysm.

Well when you consider a lot of our main stays were or are in their thirties, or coming off rookie deals looking to get paid, thats not a cataclysm. Justin smith was going to leave eventually so the front office has spent a lot of capital on that part of the defense they have been alright in that department in terms of run defense but really still lack a passrusher in their front three, thats what either armstead or tank are for. They knew parts of the secondary would cycle out so they have spent a lot of capital on the secondary, they thought they would have a better linebacking core, but losing borland, having brooks grabbing boobies and getting old, bowman still on the mend(he maybe playing but he is on the mend), a young harold taking his lumps, and aldon going off the deep end it has led to a lot of moving parts. Not to mention the new scheme. Yeah I thought they would be better, but im not all that surprised. If you didnt think we would need to transition to a new base of talent to our defense eventually you are delusional, Justin, raymac, pat, bethea(still playing but he aint gonna be here for that long). This gets exacerbated by losing young talent like smith and borland unexpectedly, plus cully getting overpaid. So yeah, the s**t storm happened all at once instead of over a couple off seasons. I expected the youngins to be ready quicker, its not, they are flashing at times then making mental errors in a new scheme. Pretty typical.

They still have some talent on defense guys like lynch, bowman if he heals up a bit more, harold, armstead, ian, dial, tank, purcell, tartt, ward, even acker, DJ, reid, and reaser they are a young base that needs to be develped and added to for sure. Everyone wants the right now immediate satisfaction. But improvements in their comfort and communication in the scheme and adding more players that fit what they want to do will go a long way and maybe a vet or two. Again I dont know what your expectations for a franchise are, 8-8 or better every single year with out fail? how many teams have done that since the salary cap has come around, none event he patriots before brady had some s**tastic years. Yeah, its looking terrible, but patience is a virtue, if we continue to regress, players show no sign of improvement, and its clear the team continues on a downward trend year after year, thats when you flip s**t. No fan wants to hear that, but its the truth. Firing and cutting everyone as soon as they show signs of struggling does not help build continuity.
Share 49ersWebzone