There are 160 users in the forums

Current State of Niners and what they need going forward

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KP82
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by dfs144:
This has been the worst off-season any NFL team has experienced

Not even close. Firing Mooch after a playoff loss and that offseason was way worse. Lets not even mention pre Walsh and Eddie D offseasons. And thats just for this franchise. Other teams have had it even worse.

49er fan since 1990. No it wasn't.

It wasnt ? We had to purge the team bc of all the dead money we owed / salary cap hell. Welcomed the Dennis Erikkson era, eventually leading to drafting Alex Smith. I think it was the worst time since pre-Walsh.
Originally posted by KP82:

Not even close. Firing Mooch after a playoff loss and that offseason was way worse. Lets not even mention pre Walsh and Eddie D offseasons. And thats just for this franchise. Other teams have had it even worse.

It wasnt ? We had to purge the team bc of all the dead money we owed / salary cap hell. Welcomed the Dennis Erikkson era, eventually leading to drafting Alex Smith. I think it was the worst time since pre-Walsh.

I think this off season was worse than that one. Yeah, the whole salary cap collapse sucked ass, but we knew it was coming. They had to gut the team because there was no possible way to keep everybody. This s**t came out of nowhere. Among other things.......Jim and crew should be still here, Willis should still be here, Borland should still be here. Aldon should have kept his nose clean after so many chances and he should still be here. We could have drafted the corners and o-lineman we needed. Well coulda woulda shoulda, but s**t could be looking a lot different around here right now.

That's why I think this is at least our worst off season. I don't know about worst ever of all time. Maybe. Been a lot of off seasons for a lot of teams before my time and all that. Hard to imagine too many worse ones, though. lol
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think this off season was worse than that one. Yeah, the whole salary cap collapse sucked ass, but we knew it was coming. They had to gut the team because there was no possible way to keep everybody. This s**t came out of nowhere. Among other things.......Jim and crew should be still here, Willis should still be here, Borland should still be here. Aldon should have kept his nose clean after so many chances and he should still be here. We could have drafted the corners and o-lineman we needed. Well coulda woulda shoulda, but s**t could be looking a lot different around here right now.

That's why I think this is at least our worst off season. I don't know about worst ever of all time. Maybe. Been a lot of off seasons for a lot of teams before my time and all that. Hard to imagine too many worse ones, though. lol

This off-season is definitely the worst in recent memory. Tomsula was a risky higher, but at least there was a certain level of comfort thinking he was inheriting a talented roster. Then we lost 4 pro-bowl caliber players unexpectedly. Willis and Aldon were All-Pro type of talents. Those guys have a huge impact on the field, and it hurt the team badly to lose them. Completely came out of nowhere, except for maybe Aldon who had a history of stupid behavior.
  • KP82
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I look at it differently. Despite all the losses this offseason, I still felt we boasted enough talent to be competitive. We still have pieces on this roster that may be staples for years to come. Just need the coaching and scheme to put it together. That era in the 00s was an absolute barn burner. It was the end of an era and the question wasnt IF (unlike this season) but rather HOW LONG. I still go into Sunday thinking that we can win if all cylinders click. Back then it was pretty much a guaranteed loss.
new head coach... Tomsula moved back to Dline coach. huge free agent OT trade... Draft prep
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Originally posted by rxrunner:
one more time for the hell of it

I don't think I can handle another dropped pants story.

or the nutcracker drill
Whoa, rdc and 5 Wu,. there was an extensive article i referred to about 3 weeks ago in the occasional sports page of the Saturday Wall Street Journal, entitled
"The Seduction of Jim Harbaugh" which clearly delineates the guy was talking wth Michigan AD for a good long while before he decided to go there. I suggest the article to both of you. He was very much involved wth Michigan, so let's get our facts straight here. He left because he had been discussing the job for some time. He didn't make his decision until the very end, but he had this planned going way back as a fall back ...or step up as it turned out.
I'm tired of the bickering. I posted this on the Baalke thread: Are the 49ers one of the deepest teams talent wise as so many claim? Let's stop with the opinions and let an unbiased organization like Pro Football Focus metrics settle it. PFF is by far the most accepted metrics in the business and is even used by the pro teams to supplement their own proprietary metrics. You can say the PFF metrics aren't 100% accurate, that someone should be a couple of spots up or down, but hard to argue when your players should be 30-70 spots off. As of game 5 of the 2015 NFL season so far, this is how our players are ranked based on performance:

Defensive Interior Rankings, the lower the number the better, they are graded for both pass and run:

Ian Williams & A. Armstead- Tied for 77th best, Tank #141, Dial142, Glen Dorsey #145, TJE # 161

Edge Rushers:

Lynch #22, A. Brooks #109, C lemonier # 120, Eli Harold #120

Linebackers, check out the LB Baalke just traded for:

Bowman #52, Shayne Skov #77, Gerald Hodges #102, M. Wilhoite #144

Safeties:

Bethea #66, E. Reid #100, J. Tartt # 115

Cornerbacks:

D. Johnson #49, Jimmie Ward #51, T. Brock #76, K. Reaser #118, K. Acker #139

Running Backs:

C. Hyde #3, Jarryd Hayne #44, Reggie Bush # 63, M. Davis #111

Fullbacks:

B. Miller # 9

Wide Receivers:
T. Smith #31, A. Boldin # 42, Q. Patton # 86, BEllington #95, DWhite #148, (MCrabtree # 8)

Tight Ends, includes blocking & catching:

VDavis #34, GCellek #40, BBell # 47, VMcDonald # 86 ( Delanie walker is #9, DCarrier #38)

Offensive Tackles:

JStaley #12, EPears #36

Guards:

ABoone #21, ATiller #24, JDevey #96, (Evan Mathis #10, so he's living up to his free agent contract in Denver)

Centers:

Marcus Martin # 38

So far we have one Pro Bowler in Hyde, that's it. Boone and Staley above average play on offense, and Lynch above average on D but his stock is rising. That's not me saying it, the PFF grades the starting line-up. The rest of the players are average to worst all across the board. So you make up your own mind as to how well Baalke has done so far. I'm just the messenger.
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Need: Joey Bosa
I would say fire Baalke but he's the only guy unfortunately that knows anything that's football related. Who would the Yorks hire to replace him? Let's just hope Baalke can hire a good coach and not get butt hurt over disagreements. I feel bad for Jimmy T. Because he probably could be a decent coach in the league, but he was set up to fail from the start. I'm still hoping York pulls a Donald Sterling so we can be freed.

I'd agree with you both. The post mooch era was worse, but that was over a few off-season. This was the worst one off-season. And I believe is leading into the new worst era but that's yet to be seen.
I think that bringing in Mike Holmgren or Shannahan would have been the better move. I hope York learns a valuable lesson from all of this.

If Hackenberg is available on draft day, he would be a good piece to build around. Things will get worse before they get better.
Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
(MCrabtree # 8)

Appreciate the attempt to build on talking points but as with PPF grades, so many times, their grades are so poor they have to 'adjust them' to even look CLOSE to a credible evaluation tool (and usually done under public scrutiny ala Aaron Rodgers). And here is a perfect example...

But I appreciate you bringing the message.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
The current state of the 49ers is simply abysmal. That you York and Baalke.

I agree. Starts at top and trickles down. The organization is in for years of losing unless Yorks sell and some former players band together to help save it. Ya, that bad again. Anyone see Jed so we can hold him accountable?

No we didn't.

Were you even a fan back then? The offseason we fired Mooch (2003) we still retained Garcia & Owens which was the best QB / WR combo in the game. The following offseason was much worse because we traded Owens (in his prime) for Brandon Whiting and a bag of Skittles & we flat out let Garcia go for nothing. We didn't bother replacing Garcia either. We let a couple of 7th round draft picks battle it out for starting QB.

Neither of those offseasons were as bad as this past one. But if you were to argue that one of them was it would be the '04 not the '03 offseason.
Share 49ersWebzone