There are 250 users in the forums

Misguided optimism ater a loss shows just how far this team has fallen back to

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article38868906.html

It is bothering anyone else that people are making this loss out to a "moral victory"?

You hear Tomsula praise the effort, you hear fans and sports radio talk about Kaepernick bouncing back (keep in mind he had a bad first half, still didn't crack 300 yards, and did so against the last ranked pass defense in the NFL), and you hear people say how much closer it was than they expected and that they put up a good fight.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you weren't one of the rational minds that recognized we were plummeting back to the dark ages immediately after Harbaugh's jettison, I think that the 1-4 start and this absurd reaction to a LOSS crystalizes it.

The expectation has returned to "at least we didn't get blown out;" "we showed some things;" "this is a performance to build off of". It seems that even the coach and players are mildly content with the way they played Sunday. I realize Tomsula acknowledged it was still a loss but his disposition and the team's seems way too upbeat for a heartbreaking loss that sends them on a four-game skid with no end in sight. It's also neglecting that it came against a horrendous pass defense and clouds the fact that the 49ers defense gave up a career-high 41 completions to Eli Manning and, worst of all, the game-winning drive that had virtually practice squad wideouts playing.

Personally speaking it makes me sick and further solidifies that we're back to being the laughing-stock. The little brother on the block who put up a good fight but still got owned by his big brother.

Give me back Harbaugh, and my team's dignity.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

It is bothering anyone else that people are making this loss out to a "moral victory"?

You hear Tomsula praise the effort, you hear fans and sports radio talk about Kaepernick bouncing back (keep in mind he had a bad first half, still didn't crack 300 yards, and did so against the last ranked pass defense in the NFL), and you hear people say how much closer it was than they expected and that they put up a good fight.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you weren't one of the rational minds that recognized we were plummeting back to the dark ages immediately after Harbaugh's jettison, I think that the 1-4 start and this absurd reaction to a LOSS crystalizes it.

The expectation has returned to "at least we didn't get blown out;" "we showed some things;" "this is a performance to build off of". It seems that even the coach and players are mildly content with the way they played Sunday. I realize Tomsula acknowledged it was still a loss but his disposition and the team's seems way too upbeat for a heartbreaking loss that sends them on a four-game skid with no end in sight. It's also neglecting that it came against a horrendous pass defense and clouds the fact that the 49ers defense gave up a career-high 41 completions to Eli Manning and, worst of all, the game-winning drive that had virtually practice squad wideouts playing.

Personally speaking it makes me sick and further solidifies that we're back to being the laughing-stock. The little brother on the block who put up a good fight but still got owned by his big brother.

Harbaugh sounded the same way last year. I remember hearing about timing, just a little off here and there when talking about the struggles of the offense. They were working well in practice and it was just a matter of time before that translated into the game. Harbaugh always praised his guys win or lose.
I don't see last night as a moral victory. I don't think the team is approaching it that way either. Most people are handling it in a very pragmatic way. Offensively we had a much better performance, defensively we stunk up the joint. That's not false optimism, that's just the facts of the game.

I'm not going to stop watching, and I'm not going to stop rooting for the team. I guess what I'm saying is, what's the point of this thread? "We suck, we're never going to get better, don't bother having any hope for the future"???? .........Sorry, I can't get behind that kind of attitude. I fully accept the fact we're not a good team and we need time to improve. In the meantime, I will root for this team to win every Sunday and get better with time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
stop whining about a x coach whom you can not prove could have done any better considering the many different people we have on our team,,, oh and do not even make my head hurt with the " but but but,, they all would have stayed and no one would have retired if jesus jim had stayed"
Originally posted by LaMattsBlue:

Harbaugh sounded the same way last year. I remember hearing about timing, just a little off here and there when talking about the struggles of the offense. They were working well in practice and it was just a matter of time before that translated into the game. Harbaugh always praised his guys win or lose.

Harbaugh never had a 4 game skid during his entire tenure here. Yes, if it's a hard fought battle you give respect and commendation where it's due and I have no problem with that. The problem is this overarching "hey, we played pretty well and our QB actually looked competent against a terrible pass D"
Originally posted by cciowa:
stop whining about a x coach whom you can not prove could have done any better considering the many different people we have on our team,,, oh and do not even make my head hurt with the " but but but,, they all would have stayed and no one would have retired if jesus jim had stayed"

I don't know if they would have stayed but if you think Jim Harbaugh would be 1-4 with this team, you're sorely, sorely mistaken. Look what he did in a locked out offseason with a bunch of unproven or underachieving guys and a QB who everyone wanted kicked to the curb years prior.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Harbaugh never had a 4 game skid during his entire tenure here. Yes, if it's a hard fought battle you give respect and commendation where it's due and I have no problem with that. The problem is this overarching "hey, we played pretty well and our QB actually looked competent against a terrible pass D"
would you have been happy if he layed an egg against the defense? he does poorly its time to start gabbert, he does well,, it does not matter cuz the giants are bad. lol, you have put yourself in a nice little no lose situation
would you have been happy if he layed an egg against the defense? he does poorly its time to start gabbert, he does well,, it does not matter cuz the giants are bad. lol, you have put yourself in a nice little no lose situation

It's not a no-lose situation. It's giving proper context to the performance. And I still would rather see Gabbert get a shot even if he's no good. Why belabor on Kaepernick when we know with certainty he's not the QB of the future. Is Gabbert? In all likelihood hell no, but I'd rather see if a change of scenery and some real wideouts would help him to at least be a capable mentor part-time starter for whatever QB we sign or draft for next year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

It's not a no-lose situation. It's giving proper context to the performance. And I still would rather see Gabbert get a shot even if he's no good. Why belabor on Kaepernick when we know with certainty he's not the QB of the future. Is Gabbert? In all likelihood hell no, but I'd rather see if a change of scenery and some real wideouts would help him to at least be a capable mentor part-time starter for whatever QB we sign or draft for next year.
i am sorry but not everyone "knows with certainty". that is so tiresome,,, like its "obvious" . there is no reason at all to give the back up who is a back up for a reason a start. only way you do it is if ck gets hurt. in all likelihood, the niners will actually dump gabbert in the off season, draft a nice rookie and bring in a back up who is better than gabbert.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I don't know if they would have stayed but if you think Jim Harbaugh would be 1-4 with this team, you're sorely, sorely mistaken. Look what he did in a locked out offseason with a bunch of unproven or underachieving guys and a QB who everyone wanted kicked to the curb years prior.

i do not know nor do i care. i am glad jh is gone and i would do it again

i do not know nor do i care. i am glad jh is gone and i would do it again

Well then I guess one of us likes winning, and one of us likes losing. Whatever gets your rocks off my friend.
Losing both Harbaugh and Fangio was a mistake. We never lost 3 in a row let alone 4. Yes we have had many changes this offseason but we led the league in games missed by starters last season and still finished 8-8 and it would have been 9-7 if we were not robbed in the rams game. We didn'y suffer multiple blow-outs any time we played a tough team.

It's dissapointing but all we can do as fans is hope for a better future. There is young talent on the team we can build with.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

get. over. it.
Except fit the harbaugh part, great post. Harbaugh had to go but they could have made a real hire. Not a puppet.

The Giants aren't good. And in crunch time they didn't have their top 2 playmakers. Tomsula's comments were garbage and it's a joke some people are happy after that game.
Well the forty whiner fans are out in force. It doesn't matter that the QB played better than he has in weeks. He led three long drives to take the lead, on the road, with just a couple of minutes left in the game. Don't matter! The old coach would have won that game, for sure. The GM is crap. The owner is the worst in the league. Cry, cry, woe is us.
Christ man, get a grip! There was obvious improvement in this game on the offensive side of the ball. The defense, which played well the last game, fell hard yesterday. It's not the same team as last year. This team is very young, last years team was very old. There are many new players and coaches trying to get things right.
You can be an anchor, or you can be a sail. Me, I'm going to go full sail and when things finally click, and they will, I will be very happy for those players and coaches. They are working hard, all of them, What more would you ask of anybody? I don't want a single player or coach to fail. I want to see the team win another SB. I understand that it is something that is hard to do. But I actually am a "Forty Niner Faithful" and that means pulling for all connected to this team to be wildly successful. ..
Share 49ersWebzone