LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Week 5 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
lemonade is just a zero. no two ways about it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Question?

Who started in place of Ahmad Brooks last night?

Second question?

Did you hear his name called once last night? Just once?

Seems like the D was playing with ten guys out there all night.

Just my observation.

Lemonier and Harold.

Lemonier was his usual invisible self and Harold got a few decent rushes in but didn't make an impact.

I would venture to say THAT was our problem. It's my thought that if Brooks had started this game, and put on the kind of equal pressure that Lynch did (which he is very capable of), this game is a win.
Anyone have a clue to why Donte Johnson is not playing more. He has size and range and can play the slot also.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Question?

Second question?

Just my observation.

Lemonier and Harold.

Lemonier was his usual invisible self and Harold got a few decent rushes in but didn't make an impact.

I would venture to say THAT was our problem. It's my thought that if Brooks had started this game, and put on the kind of equal pressure that Lynch did (which he is very capable of), this game is a win.
Brooks missing was big.
to have DB's playing as LB's is so horrendous...the DB's don't have the instincts to recognize screens cuz they aren't LB's....the giants exploited that bit of stupidity over and over....if say bowman saw that play he'd know the screen is coming and be able to blow it up..instead it was reaser and tartt standing around and then getting bulldozed by 300Lb OL
Man one thought or just a blatant observation is that Bow is and has definitely lost a step. I figured this whole yr would be more about feel and getting that feel back for the game. I sure hope so, because if not, the poor guy has lost a huge advantage for him in the pass game. He just gets turned around a lot out there.
Then again so does Whiloute so maybe its our schemes.
Nah he has lost a step. Given that injury i'd imagine so.
And Harold... Ouch this kid looks skinny and to tiny to be playing out there. Seems like every rush he was eaten up by the Tackle
1. 9ers punted better
2. Celeck played well
3. Played very discilplined
4. Stretched the field out on offense
5. After the OL switch we played better

I also think the coaching staff should learn from the time clock possession when we scored late . They are new to this as well so hopefully they will.
Question?

Second question?

Just my observation.

The D was playing with 1 guy...Lynch...
Armstead, Carradine and Lynch need to be in the game at the same time on obvious passing downs, we're not getting any pressure on the QB when Dial and Williams are in on 3rd down ...Lynch is pretty much a one man pass rush at times and the only legit pass rusher, Armstead and Carradine need to get those snaps when we need to get after the QB
A lot of great comments, love this thread - the Good, Bad, Ugly is just meant for quick fun, don't be so harsh on it :) Anyway.......

KAP - WOW, now that was a remedial game plan, yet it worked, lol. Credit OC. Per my watching, there were almost no post-snap reads or progressions asked of CK. He threw at declared 1-1 coverage. The only time I saw him go through a progression was with the TD throw to Celek. If that is what it takes to build CK back up, I'm all for it. I just don't understand how CK went from what he showed in the 2nd half of the Pitt game to what we saw have now. Seems like the Offense is working through a long pre-season learning curve during the season this year.

COVERAGE - how aggravating. Shifty receivers and good QBs are killing this zone scheme. And yet little adjustment - it might be there isn't enough experience for much adjusting. I hear people calling for DJ - he is good in press against big receivers, but you saw in preseason he can't keep up with shifty receivers - hence Acker and Reaser. Acker has skills - just looking like a rookie.

BOWMAN - He does look a little stiff - but I don't think he is by any means much less than he was in the past. To me it looks like he is also compensating for Wilhoite. There were a couple of plays where they seemed to attack him with two coverage options to get him to hesitate last night. Wilhoite is terrible in coverage and reacting after a catch - bad angles. We are seeing why the Willis - Bowman combination was so powerful - both guys could cover.

OL - THIS IS THE REAL ISSUE - Martin is atrocious. There was one play where the DT just threw him aside like a rag doll - it was crazy - and he whiffs blocks. You can't expect a good running or pass game with DLineman in the backfield disrupting constantly. Now here is the question - If you have BThomas and Silberman on the 53 - why is Tiller coming off the PS to replace Devey?? (yeah, I get stashing players and all - but give me a break). And Tiller comes in and the first time all night we saw two clean pockets - shoot first time since Pitt game. And here is the bizarre part, even when Devey returned the protection seemed a little better. We might, might just see a radically improved OL when Kilgore is back in the line-up and up to form.

DL - Carradine, Armistead, and Dial are having little impact on pass downs - zero interior penetration. This is really disheartening. One of those guys out of three picks needed to show something this year.

To me - the OL and DL woes are on Baalke. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Where are some plays from the d line. The defense looks slow at all levels. Bow and Whilhoite look slow moving form side to side. What happened to Eric Reid making plays? I mean we say so and so are good players but nobody is making any plays on defense except Lynch.

The scheme and the talent on defense are serious issues.

Yea somebody needs to ask some tough questions regarding what's going on with Brandon Thomas.

I agree. I've been telling fans we need more speed on defense.

They also play slower when they are unsure of their assignments. With Fangio they were coached up and prepared for games.

This...it's b/c they are standing flat footed, thinking, trying to ensure they are in the right zone WHILE the WR's are running uncontested off the LOS wide open at full speed through any zone window they want.

Essentially, Mangini might as well just put practice dummies out there for Manning and his receivers next time...same exact concept. It was THAT easy.
I'm also thinking that guys aren't sure what depth and where they are supposed to be in these zones. On one play Brock bailed out but there was no defender underneath ODB and it was easy pitch and catch.
Great read as usual Marvin49. Very diappointed in Mangini even though i was exciting with the hire at the beginning. They have to change something, players, scheme, packages or coaches. I don't care what just try something. Tired of watching samething happening over & over out there.
  • All22
  • Veteran
  • Boldin still our best WR, Torry smith is an expensive decoy.
  • Celeck should be starting TE.

Tory Smith did a great job last night and drew 2-3 penalties that gave us first downs.

Vernon is done. Bush is done.

Move Ellington into Bush's scatback slot and promote DeAndrew White and Patton up one spot at WR.

Play almost 100% man-to-man. Start DJ on the outside.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:

BOWMAN - He does look a little stiff - but I don't think he is by any means much less than he was in the past. To me it looks like he is also compensating for Wilhoite. There were a couple of plays where they seemed to attack him with two coverage options to get him to hesitate last night. Wilhoite is terrible in coverage and reacting after a catch - bad angles. We are seeing why the Willis - Bowman combination was so powerful - both guys could cover.

I think people are overreacting about Bowman. That TD at the end was the same play that GB and BAL scored on us with in the playoffs a few years back.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Anyone have a clue to why Donte Johnson is not playing more. He has size and range and can play the slot also.

ive been wondering about this too.
Share 49ersWebzone