LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

49ers Defensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There is no push, spin moves, or anything resembling effort to try to penetrate coming from our D line. How can we fix this?
Just everyone would like to know that Armsted and Carradine are our two highest rated DL by far.

Armsted as a +1.6 grad and Carradine +1.1. Williams is next with a -.1

I don't know what is going on but these two need to be playing. Dahl is -.4.2. TJE is -3.5.

2 things I want to say about this.

First, we are sitting two better players every week. Second, this unit has been bad so I'm doubting that Tomsula is spending much time with them. A fear I had once he was promoted.
It's Dial and Dorsey. They both need to be benched. They are both solid depth players but shouldn't be starting. They create 0 pass rush and on top of that they don't create any negative plays in the running game. I don't recall seeing Dial or Dorsey just beat there man and make a tfl's. To make the situation worst we got 2 highly drafted guys that have flashed behind them that should be getting these snaps so they can be fully evaluated and grow. This s**t is mind boggling. You spent your draft picks on these guys to become impact players and they won't play them. When you add in the draft position and the talent of AA and Tank this coaching decision might actually be worse than playing the 3 f**king stooges Devey Martin and Pears.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 27, 2015 at 7:30 AM ]
I've been calling for more snaps with Armstead, Carradine and Lynch on the field together on passing downs , don't know why they insist on keeping Williams, Dial and Dorsey in there on 3rd and longs???, they are solid against the run, but don't provide that pass rush we desperately need ....this coaching staff doesn't know how to use what we have to our advantage
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I've been calling for more snaps with Armstead, Carradine and Lynch on the field together on passing downs , don't know why they insist on keeping Williams, Dial and Dorsey in there on 3rd and longs???, they are solid against the run, but don't provide that pass rush we desperately need ....this coaching staff doesn't know how to use what we have to our advantage

They aren't even solid vs the run. They are below average. Ranked 24th allowing in terms of yards allowed, and ranked 20th in terms of yards per game.
IMO we can fix it by using Armstead instead of Dorsey and drafting a stud in the early rounds of the 2016 Draft(Bosa, Nkemendiche, Ogbah, Buckner, Nassib, Oakman, Bullard or Washington)for the other DT spot.
JT is too nice to bench players. So..
Originally posted by bigwads:
Just everyone would like to know that Armsted and Carradine are our two highest rated DL by far.

I don't know what is going on but these two need to be playing. Dahl is -.4.2. TJE is -3.5.

If we are this f**ked at this point we need to start using those two. They should use tank on base downs to see how he handles it.
I've noticed Tank getting more snaps. Hopefully Purcell gets some too!

Originally posted by bigwads:

Dial has been kinda disappointing, which is odd to say since he was a low pick, but he looked better as a rotational backup last year. DLinemen often take a couple years to put it together, so I still have high hopes for him as a solid starter, but definitely a case of too much too soon for him this year.
Dail is a NG, not a DE. He is miscast in the 3-4 as an end and never played end until this season. Dorsey is also a NG and was signed to play on the nose. He was horrible in KC as a 3-4 end and got ran out of town. He excelled as a NG. The issue is we have three NG starting and no one capable playing the end position.

We should be playing Armsted and Carradine on the ends and either Dail, Williams or Dorsey on the nose.

This isn't a situation where we are cherry picking stats either. You can tell watching the games that our ends are garbage. It then shows up on the stat sheet. Every time I see Carradine and Armsted out there they do far better and the stats also play that out.

After the bye week Armsted and Carradine need to be starting.
[ Edited by bigwads on Oct 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM ]
I wish we ran 2 Dlines in the game.

Getting good exp for all players and giving them a breath.

Dial-Ian-Dorsey

Tank-Purcell-Armstead
Once again, another instance of not getting the right guys PT or in the right slots. Ummm...our HC is a DL coach, and I don't think it is too much to ask that he at least get the damn DL wth the best guys playing and then get the proper guys where they belong. This is just pervasive everywhere, esp the OL . JT, my man, you need to get your schid together, old son, and at least fix what you know most about. We could use some expertise wherever we can find it, and you are a very good DL coach....so get on the ball and get our DL lined out. Being a HC does not mean you can't oversee the DL...or OL...or Cbs, or whatever. As a matter of fact, your staff is so poor that they desperately need help. So at least help fix the damn DL. thanks if advance.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
There is no push, spin moves, or anything resembling effort to try to penetrate coming from our D line. How can we fix this?

We are a two-gapping DL. They aren't supposed to penetrate unless that is their assignment. The base defense is designed to stop the run and stay disciplined in their gaps and are still growing as a unit:

Dorsey - Williams - Dial

We have played THE top RB's and running games, what seems like, every damn week and they have held up pretty darn well.

As to personnel choices for penetration, we have AA - Williams or Purcell (one gap) - Carradine with both Lynch and Brooks on the outside (actually pass rushing).

Unfortunately, we don't see too much of the aforementioned as a whole. It may just be AA & Lynch given the green light and Brooks dropping back or various other combinations.
Share 49ersWebzone