LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

If YOU were the OC, what changes would you make ??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
there is a lot of talk of how stale and ineffective our attack is, and a lot of fans have their own take on how to get the offense going

If I was handed the keys to the 49ers offense, there would definitely be some changes made to try and get the sputtering offense going

1.) try a new combo on the offensive line (Staley, Thomas, Martin, Tiller, Boone) ..SOMETHING needs to be done

2.) limit the number of plays in the shotgun, keep Kaep under center and use more elements of the WCO (backs as receivers out of backfield)

3.) pound the ball more with 2 TE / 2 WR sets, use Miller as the FB & 2nd TE and put him in motion as a blocking TE or receiving H-Back

4.) keep a couple extra blockers back until Kaep gets a rhythm going with the receivers, what's wrong with McDonald and Miller in the backfield as blocking backs, who cares how it looks, we need to give Kaep more time to find our frustrated receivers

5.) quicker passes with 3 WR sets that utilize Smith as our slot receiver, with bigger and stronger blockers in backfield (Miller, McDonald, Celek, Bell)

6.) Screens ,Screens Screens ...use Bush and Hayne in this capacity, they have natural skills to make plays, but they need some opportunities

7) if Kaep continues to struggle, make him ride the pine ...hey, Seifert yanked Young against the Eagles in 94 , if Kaep cant find ways to make plays, it's only right to give Gabbert a shot to see if he can make the attack work , our fans cant take anymore of watching the offense struggle under Kaep, if he cant get it done, he needs to be put on the bench so he can watch and make adjustments

this is just a few things I would try .....what about you guys? .......and please, don't flame my ideas, I merely asked what you guys would try, not to dissect my ideas and criticize them ....ok ...lets hear em
Unlike some others, I would sit kap down now, just to give him a break. I am not a gabber fan, but kap needs to sit and watch, learn. Your ideas above are fine, but putting someone in who is damaged goods between the ears is just asking him to continue to make the same mistakes over and over. Also playing kap demoralizes our team, in particular the receivers. When they are wide open and kap throws a bouncer, or high , wide, too late....those things have demoralized our receiving corps. For our sakes, sit kap now..."Our" referring to the team and fans.

I would agree with everything else including kap, if he were right in the head...which does not seem to be the case. In golf it's the yips. In baseball it's a slump. Here it is wholesale breakdown of playing QB and what kap is supposed to do. If we go lay Kap's egg on SNF, this team is going to take a huge emotional hit. He needs to be watching, not playing. Thot so during second half of Steelers game and everything since. With troubles on D , OL and QB, we have to try something else. As for the OL, it needs wholesale changing from C to RT. If they don't cut it, keep changing until we find the magic crew.

You were asking for what to do, but unsaid is consideration of coaching crew and keeping them on. Afraid that needs to be re-looked at also.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
there is a lot of talk of how stale and ineffective our attack is, and a lot of fans have their own take on how to get the offense going

If I was handed the keys to the 49ers offense, there would definitely be some changes made to try and get the sputtering offense going

1.) try a new combo on the offensive line (Staley, Thomas, Martin, Tiller, Boone) ..SOMETHING needs to be done

2.) limit the number of plays in the shotgun, keep Kaep under center and use more elements of the WCO (backs as receivers out of backfield)

3.) pound the ball more with 2 TE / 2 WR sets, use Miller as the FB & 2nd TE and put him in motion as a blocking TE or receiving H-Back

4.) keep a couple extra blockers back until Kaep gets a rhythm going with the receivers, what's wrong with McDonald and Miller in the backfield as blocking backs, who cares how it looks, we need to give Kaep more time to find our frustrated receivers

5.) quicker passes with 3 WR sets that utilize Smith as our slot receiver, with bigger and stronger blockers in backfield (Miller, McDonald, Celek, Bell)

6.) Screens ,Screens Screens ...use Bush and Hayne in this capacity, they have natural skills to make plays, but they need some opportunities

7) if Kaep continues to struggle, make him ride the pine ...hey, Seifert yanked Young against the Eagles in 94 , if Kaep cant find ways to make plays, it's only right to give Gabbert a shot to see if he can make the attack work , our fans cant take anymore of watching the offense struggle under Kaep, if he cant get it done, he needs to be put on the bench so he can watch and make adjustments

this is just a few things I would try .....what about you guys? .......and please, don't flame my ideas, I merely asked what you guys would try, not to dissect my ideas and criticize them ....ok ...lets hear em

This!
a lot of comments about to flood in thinking the OC has a lot of power
Move Boone to RT.

Move Pears to RG.

Move Brandon Thomas to LG.

Keep Marcus Martin at C until Kilgore gets back.

Focus on getting Kap out of the pocket where he can make plays and build his confidence. Short passes. Play action. 3 step drops.

More power running... as much as I hate to say it. Similar to what Roman would do. Stick with zone blocking most of the time but a few times a game bring in some extra road graders.

More crossing routes. Get Torrey Smith the ball in space. Similar to how the Texans use Hopkins. They dont have the best Qbs but they can get him in space.
  • thl408
- Spread the field horizontally with formation. Doesn't matter what the personnel package is, just spread the field. This will give Kap easier presnap reads as well as prevent the defense from disguising who is coming on a blitz. When the 49ers use that bunched up multiple TE formation, it muddles the box. OL can't tell who is coming on a blitz. The more bunched up WRs are, the longer it takes for them to spread apart after the snap. Time is crucial with this piss poor pass protection.

- This team still can't execute a screen pass. So do the next best thing that can slow down a pass rush - run a draw play.

- Start targeting the RBs in the flat.

- Run the ball out of passing formations. Go 3 wide and take some bodies out of the box. Pound Hyde.

- Tell Kap that once he hits the top of his drop, he has 2 hitches to get rid of the ball. The ball must leave his hand by then (or scramble).

- Get Torrey Smith involved early and often.

- Demote Devey to the marching band. Bring back Looney, Adam Snyder, anyone. I know that's more of a Baalke/Tomsula move.

Sit Kaep for about 2 games. Bring in this therapist for Kaep.
Concerning number 3, you say 2 tights and 2 wide. That would be 12 personnel and if you also wanted Miller in there he would technically be your only back. If you wanted Miller in there to block then it would be 22 personnel and you can't have 2 WR with 22 personnel.

Edit: Never mind, I read it again....look like you are saying to use Miller as your h-back/2nd TE. So it's essentially 21 personnel with the FB being on the move.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 9, 2015 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

I like this
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Unlike some others, I would sit kap down now, just to give him a break. I am not a gabber fan, but kap needs to sit and watch, learn. Your ideas above are fine, but putting someone in who is damaged goods between the ears is just asking him to continue to make the same mistakes over and over. Also playing kap demoralizes our team, in particular the receivers. When they are wide open and kap throws a bouncer, or high , wide, too late....those things have demoralized our receiving corps. For our sakes, sit kap now..."Our" referring to the team and fans.

I would agree with everything else including kap, if he were right in the head...which does not seem to be the case. In golf it's the yips. In baseball it's a slump. Here it is wholesale breakdown of playing QB and what kap is supposed to do. If we go lay Kap's egg on SNF, this team is going to take a huge emotional hit. He needs to be watching, not playing. Thot so during second half of Steelers game and everything since. With troubles on D , OL and QB, we have to try something else. As for the OL, it needs wholesale changing from C to RT. If they don't cut it, keep changing until we find the magic crew.

You were asking for what to do, but unsaid is consideration of coaching crew and keeping them on. Afraid that needs to be re-looked at also.

Because of two bad games he's damaged goods?

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Sit Kaep for about 2 games. Bring in this therapist for Kaep.

just dumb.
i would grow a stach
Originally posted by thl408:
- Spread the field horizontally with formation. Doesn't matter what the personnel package is, just spread the field. This will give Kap easier presnap reads as well as prevent the defense from disguising who is coming on a blitz. When the 49ers use that bunched up multiple TE formation, it muddles the box. OL can't tell who is coming on a blitz. The more bunched up WRs are, the longer it takes for them to spread apart after the snap. Time is crucial with this piss poor pass protection.

- This team still can't execute a screen pass. So do the next best thing that can slow down a pass rush - run a draw play.

- Run the ball out of passing formations. Go 3 wide and take some bodies out of the box. Pound Hyde.

- Tell Kap that once he hits the top of his drop, he has 2 hitches to get rid of the ball. The ball must leave his hand by then (or scramble).

- Demote Devey to the marching band. Bring back Looney, Adam Snyder, anyone. I know that's more of a Baalke/Tomsula move.

Great ideas! Get Devey out of here, what's the deal with Thomas I didn't think he looked that bad in preseason?
- Spread the field horizontally with formation. Doesn't matter [/b]what the personnel package is, just spread the field. This will give Kap easier presnap reads as well as prevent the defense from disguising who is coming on a blitz. When the 49ers use that bunched up multiple TE formation, it muddles the box. OL can't tell who is coming on a blitz. The more bunched up WRs are, the longer it takes for them to spread apart after the snap. Time is crucial with this piss poor pass protection.

Running the ball out of 10 or 11 personnel is a must. I'd say 20 also, but I really don't remember us running much 20 personnel.

I can dig it.
Share 49ersWebzone