There are 359 users in the forums

Gerald Hodges

Gerald Hodges JR. ‏@g_hodges6 20s21 seconds ago

Walking through our facility after a workout and seeing the excitement on our @49ers coaching staff gives me the chills!!!
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:

Walking through our facility after a workout and seeing the excitement on our @49ers coaching staff gives me the chills!!!

Hmmmmm?

It should. He probably just got replaced by a top tier ILB free agent.....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

LOL!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

lol
Bleacher Report is currently doing a top 50 of positions. I was amazed to find Hodges ranked as the 18th best middle linebacker in the NFL. They have Bowman ranked 10th.

Here's what they said.

Pass rush 7/10

Generating pressure up the middle is an underrated aspect of pass rushing. And while he only had five pressures, Gerald Hodges has been good at hitting the center-guard gap and occupying blockers. It's a scheme that worked wonders for the 49ers in the recent past.

Run defense 25/30

After limited time with the Vikings, Hodges joined the 49ers in 2015 and stepped into a starting role later in the season. He doesn't shy from contact, and he can get through the traffic to shut down running lanes. At 6'2", 236 pounds, the Penn State product needs to add bulk to stay healthy and efficiently get into running lanes.

Coverage 13/20

Hodges has average strength and struggles on the line with physical tight ends, although he has the speed to keep up downfield and stay in a running back's pocket. The former safety uses his hands well and has the skills to make a play on the ball.

Tackling 24/30

Missed tackles weren't a problem in 2015, as Hodges had only six. He has the most trouble when breaking down in the open field. He needs to work on using his feet rather than reaching out at ball-carriers with his arms.

Position value 9/9

Overall 78/99 Good for 18th overall
Hodges is an extension candidate IMO. If they could get him for low end starter/top end backup $$ they should do it. He'll have a full offseason with the 49ers this year.
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Hodges is an extension candidate IMO. If they could get him for low end starter/top end backup $$ they should do it. He'll have a full offseason with the 49ers this year.

Agreed
so we gonna resign this kid or what?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
so we gonna resign this kid or what?

We should.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
PFF gave him a good grade and said he's a must keep player.

oh ok
  • cools
  • Veteran
I want him on the team, though not necessarily as a starter
He can back up every LB position in a 4-3, speed, coverage, edge containment, good tackler
Originally posted by SoCold:

oh ok

I mean he wasn't awful...should be a cheap signing and nothing wrong with competition? Shouldn't change the idea that we need a upgrade there regardless
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SoCold:

oh ok

I mean he wasn't awful...should be a cheap signing and nothing wrong with competition? Shouldn't change the idea that we need a upgrade there regardless

Exactly. We should be looking for an upgrade, but that doesn't mean we should just cut people to cut them. If we see a clearly better talent that we can afford for that position, great, pick them up and then Hodges us a back up. But that doesn't mean we let Hodges go yet.
Share 49ersWebzone