There are 131 users in the forums

week 4 Green Bay Packers, coaching film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Yup - and one of those quick screens was a "package" play that was a designed run with a WR screen option built-in - like Pitt did against us.

The coaching staff is trying their damnedest to get him going. They are using WCO stuff, packaged play stuff and that little pop pass off of jet action was right out of I believe West Virginia playbook from that bowl game a couple years ago.
  • thl408
GB's second drive of the game. Here is the play that got the 49ers defense off the field.
49ers had been playing a lot of zone coverage in the first three games. Here, the 49ers dial up man coverage. One adjustment they made was keeping Brock at LCB in their nickel package. In the previous games, Brock slid to the slot with DJohnson coming in to play LCB. Here, they keep Acker/Brock at their starting spots on the outside, put in Ward to cover the slot. This was seen many times throughout this game.

versus Cover 2 Man; colors are just to differentiate
Notice Tartt's alignment - inside shade. He will defeat Rodger's first read, the yellow slant. AA, lined up at right DT, will come on a loop around LDE.

Rodger's looks to the slant and red lights it due to Tartt's coverage. AA comes around on the loop unblocked and will flush Rodger's from the pocket. Solid man coverage all around. Very unlike what we saw versus ARI where there were soft spots in zones all over the field.

AR has time for one read before AA applies the pressure. +4 on the scramble. Punt.
Originally posted by thl408:
GB's second drive of the game. Here is the play that got the 49ers defense off the field.
49ers had been playing a lot of zone coverage in the first three games. Here, the 49ers dial up man coverage. One adjustment they made was keeping Brock at LCB in their nickel package. In the previous games, Brock slid to the slot with DJohnson coming in to play LCB. Here, they keep Acker/Brock at their starting spots on the outside, put in Ward to cover the slot. This was seen many times throughout this game.

versus Cover 2 Man; colors are just to differentiate
Notice Tartt's alignment - inside shade. He will defeat Rodger's first read, the yellow slant. AA, lined up at right DT, will come on a loop around LDE.

Rodger's looks to the slant and red lights it due to Tartt's coverage. AA comes around on the loop unblocked and will flush Rodger's from the pocket. Solid man coverage all around. Very unlike what we saw versus ARI where there were soft spots in zones all over the field.

AR has time for one read before AA applies the pressure. +4 on the scramble. Punt.

Man that AA kid kid is garbage huh, no effect on anythin. the young guys are playing well.
[ Edited by philosoraptor on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:38 AM ]
Ward did a real nice job on that play. They need to give AA more snaps beside Lynch.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:47 AM ]
  • thl408
Here is the dropped pass by Vance. Had he caught the ball, perhaps the chains are moved. At worst, it would have been 3rd and short.

4 Verticals vs some odd Cover 4 with a blitzer (I think).

Kap's first read is to Vance. Kap starts his throwing motion but decides to hold back. It's a tight window and Kap chooses not to target him. Bush, the lone RB chooses to let Clay Matthews go right by him without picking him up. Matthews comes unblocked as the 5th rusher.

After evading Matthews somehow, it's a scramble drill, Kap finds Vance. Vance drops it.

The next play is to Torrey backside up the sideline, but thrown way out of bounds. Punt.
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
Ward did a real nice job on that play. They need to give AA more snaps beside Lynch.

Correction. That was not a nickel package. I'm calling it the Big Dime package. 4 rushers, 3 CBs, 3 safeties. Used to go up against 3 WR sets. It's not a standard Dime because I consider standard Dime to be 4 rushers, 4 CBs, 2 safeties - used to go against 4 WRs.
here's a play that doesn't seem like a big thing, but, can have big effects throughout the game. This is 14:27 in the 4th qrt. The deal is, it's 2nd and 11, we need something positive here. The difference between 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 10+ is huge.

Here, we have a fade/curl concept to the bottom(a version of "smash") with a shallow crosser coming underneath. I think they're trying to hit the curl first, with the crosser as the checkdown.

You see how the action ends up isolating Patton on a LB, this is a win for us. Even if it's only 3 yards, it's something, and who knows, with Patton, it could be 10 yards or so.

Devey gets pulled down, but you see that we have a great matchup over the shallow middle - just dump it off kaep!

He tries to escape, but gets sacked for -2. It's a quick hitting play, but, the kind that he has to make. The line didn't help him at all, but, like Chuck pagano has said, in reference to the quick pressure Luck's been under, "he should be used to it by now".

Sets up 3rd and 13.
I think I saw some pattern matching as well from the slot CB (Ward).

I was just going to ask! I thought I saw the same...saw him shove Cobb over to the next quadrant but then nobody was there to pick him up so he ended up having to haul ass and make the tackle anyhow. Miscommunication? S's late? His error?
Here's the following play after the one I just cut up. This one, it'd be a small window and a big boy throw -but it was there to be made.

13:51 4th qtr.

GB is going to run a sort of cover-2 man. It looks like they might be running a cover 6 with pattern match though - hard to tell for sure. We're going to run, what I'm going to call, a "sucker" concept. It's not how the traditional sucker is done. But, since it's a short curl with a deep hook behind it(similar action to the sucker) I'm calling it a sucker...so...there!

The safety on the 3 receiver side moves to an over-the-top position. Since Patton and Celek are the only guys running routes deep enough, and the other routes look to be routes just to hold guys, I'm assuming Kaep has the choice between Patton and Celek. To me, the progression should be patton 1st, Celek 2nd.

Celek's and Boldin's routes clear out a space and throwing lane for Patton. With the safety playing over-the-top, this should be a good situation. This would require Kaep to already be throwing the ball right now - he's got a clean pocket so far.

You see the separation Patton created and how the safety is playing over-the-top. It's an anticipation throw.

This is what it would've looked like when the ball got to patton, had it been thrown on time. Instead, Kaep takes off and gets 7 yards - punt. This is a big boy throw, but one that can change the whole complexion of a game. Rodgers made a couple throws like this against us. It's the big time plays that big time players need to make.

This is another reason the O-line stats can be deceiving. Technically, this play will go down as a QB pressure given up.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

I was just going to ask! I thought I saw the same...saw him shove Cobb over to the next quadrant but then nobody was there to pick him up so he ended up having to haul ass and make the tackle anyhow. Miscommunication? S's late? His error?

I saw that play, but don't have it cut up. I think he did what you said, then realized that was his man as the WR ran a drag. Will re-visit.

man Colin
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Yup - and one of those quick screens was a "package" play that was a designed run with a WR screen option built-in - like Pitt did against us.

The coaching staff is trying their damnedest to get him going. They are using WCO stuff, packaged play stuff and that little pop pass off of jet action was right out of I believe West Virginia playbook from that bowl game a couple years ago.

I could quickly see the shift in Mangini. Brooks and Lynch combined were rushing again and collectively could have had 5 sacks (Rodgers with an insane left handed dump pass and Brooks first sack negated by the Wilhoite penalty). It looks like we're getting back to man and perhaps, some pattern matching and letting the OLB's and DE do what they do best; less pre and post snap confusion and only a few blitzes. I love that! That's our ID IMHO.

But on offense, you two and thl, perhaps you can help ID what our offense is. From 3 TE's in the first game to compliment Hyde's running game to very little Hyde last game, who are we offensively? Where do you see this evolving? You can see early on, they tried to get CK in an rhythm (killed by penalties and drops). But what is our ID now and where do you see it evolving too?
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for JDMathews49ers.
Ward had himself a game.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I saw that play, but don't have it cut up. I think he did what you said, then realized that was his man as the WR ran a drag. Will re-visit.

Awesome, thanks! Thought I might have seen a couple more too. My ears perked up!
Kap had scoring opportunities.....

Share 49ersWebzone