There are 183 users in the forums

week 4 Green Bay Packers, coaching film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Speaking of one of those backside 1v1's....

7:27 1st QTR, we need a long 7 yards to get a first down.

Here, we're going to run a "levels" concept on the top and then run Torrey on a deep out with Bush running a "texas" or "circle" route. both are man-coverage beaters. You look to the deep-out on cover 1 or cover 0, the texas on cover 2

Just wanted to highlight how much #21 moved around, pre-snap. Trying to confuse looks. But, the important thing to note is, the press, square up alignment from the corners. This, mixed with the alignment of the LB's reveals man-coverage.

At the snap, the safeties swap. #21 drops back into a deep 1, the other safety moves down into a "lurk" position. TS does a great job with his release, he takes a good inside release to set up the corner for his deep out.

The inside release from TSmith sets up the corner into an inside technique. Bush wins his 1v1, but, he's headed back into the teeth of the defense. This is why that throw is good against cover 2, where the safeties split out wide.

You see the lurker ready to drive on the pass(he doesn't for some reason) but I think his presence scares Kaep, who throws the ball just behind Bush.

You see how there are defenders around to rally to the texas route. Yet, Smith schools his corner and gets good separation. If CK drives this ball out to the black square, that's a big 3rd down conversion and gain. There's no way the safety could've helped on this play, as well.

Bush gets tackled short and you see how much separation Torrey created.
Originally posted by thl408:
I've only watched the first half and I agree with your assessment of the defense. Thay played more man coverage than any other previous week. I think I saw some pattern matching as well from the slot CB (Ward). It was very obvious that Geep wanted to establish a rhythm for Kap early in the game. You broke down the first play, but the next 4(?) dropbacks were all horizontal stretches at short range, then a couple quick WR screens. I questioned whether Hyde should have gotten more touches early, but like you said, GB squatted on the 49er run game.

I saw the full field reads dialed up. There was one play where it was very well designed with multiple concepts melded together. Unfortunately, Devey got held and was unable to pick up a blitzing CMatthews. A shame because a couple WRs became open had Kap been able to scan the field instead of running for his life. Kap needs to have more faith in Torrey to beat his man. Whenever Torrey is split wide on the backside with 1v1 coverage, Kap needs to seriously consider looking backside. Whether Torrey is running a Go route or a Stop9, Torrey more often than not, gets separation. Kap loved going backside to in the past when it wasn't warranted because the 49ers didn't have a legit X WR. Now that they do, he isn't looking backside as much - go figure.

Rodgers missed some passes in the first half. Whether it was inaccurate or the WR couldn't corral the pass, GB left some chunk plays on the field. Still, the defensive coverage tightened up and it was like night and day comparing this game to ARI as far as the defensive backfield. Saw some stunts, saw some good 1v1 battles won by Lynch. Maybe he's finally in midseason form after being injured much of the offseason. 49ers need him badly.

How maddening is this? He'd give the scrubs we had all the chances in the world in 2013-14 and now that we have a legit X with mismatch speed he's not doing it.

I just think kap is caught it the middle of being a QB and a runner and he's slow to everything. It's a terrible spot to be in....if he wants an NFL career he has to find a way through this.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Its not like Mcdonald would've caught it anyways

correction on the first play - that was Celek - not McD....
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's the first play from scrimmage for our O.

We come out in "21" personnel and we're going to run a "spot" concept to the concept side. This threatens the defense both vertically and horizontally. Looking to put 3 receivers in zone "soft" spots. It's a progression read, but, the progression has to be moved through very quickly. It's usually, corner, snag, flat in the progression. the pre-snap read shows 2 deep safeties, but the corner is playing with a cushion and has his hips opened. This is showing that he's in zone on that side of the field. That means either, cover 3, 4 or 6.(4 and 6 would be essentially the same on this side of the field. What GB is going to do here, is play a defense very similar to Seattle's. They're going to play cover 3 with the single receiver side in man-coverage.

What CK needs to see here is, it doesn't matter that the defense is showing the 2 shell safety look, the outside corner is lined up in either a 1/3 or 1/4 zone look. That defeats the corner route. This should move his read to a key read on the hook/curl defender. However he plays will determine whether to go to the "snag" or "spot" route and the flat or take-off.

At the snap, GB's safeties move forward - similar to how LB's play. They're looking to aggressively play the run. They're giving zero help over-the-top to TS. This is some of what he was talking about.

This is at the start of his drop-back. You see the defense revealing itself. He should be keying in on #54, but doesn't.

#54 attacks the flat route and 33 attacks the curl zone, to give underneath help to the corner playing over-the-top. They're, essentially, doubling AB, which, after the last time AB tore em up, can't blame them. This frees up McDonald. You see Kaep has hit his plant foot and the ball should be coming out right here. He's got as nice a pocket as you could hope for as a QB.

You see how open McD is, but Kaep takes off - not sure why. This is what Steve Young talked about last year in "exhausting" a play before taking off. Yeah, he gains some yards, but, I think it causes more frustration and causes the defense to adjust how they play more if he hits this throw.

He takes off and gains 12 yards. You can call it, "6 one way, half a dozen the other" because the pass probably would've netted 12 yards or so. But, IMO, the throw is more important because you're trying to establish a rhythm as an offense early in the game.
I had this marked as a Spacing concept because Boldin doesn't run a Corner route. Quick 5 step rhythm throw to get Kap started. Besides that, I'm with you in that I'm also not sure why Kap didn't pull the trigger to Celek (it's Celek). Looks like an inside-out read based on the depth of the inside Curl (yellow, short) compared to the outside Curl (Boldin, deeper)

Is there someone in the passing lane?

• Antix
  • Veteran

Oh..so it WOULD have been caught.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Antix:

Oh..so it WOULD have been caught.

lol
  • thl408
Speaking of one of those backside 1v1's....

7:27 1st QTR, we need a long 7 yards to get a first down.

Here, we're going to run a "levels" concept on the top and then run Torrey on a deep out with Bush running a "texas" or "circle" route. both are man-coverage beaters. You look to the deep-out on cover 1 or cover 0, the texas on cover 2

Just wanted to highlight how much #21 moved around, pre-snap. Trying to confuse looks. But, the important thing to note is, the press, square up alignment from the corners. This, mixed with the alignment of the LB's reveals man-coverage.

At the snap, the safeties swap. #21 drops back into a deep 1, the other safety moves down into a "lurk" position. TS does a great job with his release, he takes a good inside release to set up the corner for his deep out.

The inside release from TSmith sets up the corner into an inside technique. Bush wins his 1v1, but, he's headed back into the teeth of the defense. This is why that throw is good against cover 2, where the safeties split out wide.

You see the lurker ready to drive on the pass(he doesn't for some reason) but I think his presence scares Kaep, who throws the ball just behind Bush.

You see how there are defenders around to rally to the texas route. Yet, Smith schools his corner and gets good separation. If CK drives this ball out to the black square, that's a big 3rd down conversion and gain. There's no way the safety could've helped on this play, as well.

Bush gets tackled short and you see how much separation Torrey created.
One thing I didn't like about this play, not that it mattered, is how the Levels concept takes the defenders towards the RB circle route. Even had Bush evaded his man defender, Patton's defender is taken into the same area to help with the tackle. Nice Flag route by Torrey - stem inside, break outside. That was a long developing route. If Kap holds the ball too long and gets sacked waiting for it to develop, we are here talking about how Kap held the ball too long waiting for the route to develop.
s more important because you're trying to establish a rhythm as an offense early in the game.I had this marked as a Spacing concept because Boldin doesn't run a Corner route. Quick 5 step rhythm throw to get Kap started. Besides that, I'm with you in that I'm also not sure why Kap didn't pull the trigger to Celek (it's Celek). Looks like an inside-out read based on the depth of the inside Curl (yellow, short) compared to the outside Curl (Boldin, deeper)

Is there someone in the passing lane?

good call on the spacing concept. I glanced over Boldin's route too quickly.... I saw the spot and flat routes and immediately went to spot concept - my bad.
One thing I didn't like about this play, not that it mattered, is how the Levels concept takes the defenders towards the RB circle route. Even had Bush evaded his man defender, Patton's defender is taken into the same area to help with the tackle. Nice Flag route by Torrey - stem inside, break outside. That was a long developing route. If Kap holds the ball too long and gets sacked waiting for it to develop, we are here talking about how Kap held the ball too long waiting for the route to develop.
thought the same thing about the design. I don't know why you run a texas into 2 in breaking routes....
I did feel though, that the line protected him well enough if he anticipates Torrey's route. It's a big boy play to make, for sure. But one of the one's you see the big boy QB's make, it's that fine line between getting it into the hands of a playmaker short and trusting your X to beat his man.

thought the same thing about the design. I don't know why you run a texas into 2 in breaking routes....
I did feel though, that the line protected him well enough if he anticipates Torrey's route. It's a big boy play to make, for sure. But one of the one's you see the big boy QB's make, it's that fine line between getting it into the hands of a playmaker short and trusting your X to beat his man.

He had all kinds of room in the pocket to move a little to his right. That would have bought enough time to hit Torrey for sure.

Edit: removed the gif.
[ Edited by VinculumJuris on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM ]

This play could have been a little better if instead of running levels on that side we ran drive. That way it could have been a little quicker and if the circle isn't open it almost turns in to a mesh with the back and the WR running the drive.
  • thl408
So far, jonny, you've cut up three quick passes designed to have Kap quickly release the ball - all at rather short range. The next two passes were quick WR screens to Boldin. So that's the first 5 passes being quick release throws - or at least designed to be that way. There was one Hyde run mixed in there. It was obvious they wanted Kap to get into a flow, while loosening up the box.
Here's a well designed and executed play. 8:28 2nd QTR

Please excuse the "press esc" writing lol..

GB presses the LOS, we're in "22" personnel. surprising that they leave their corner on a complete island, with cover-0 against TS. We're going to run a "shallow cross" concept. It's a type of "mesh" concept. If in zone, the the QB is given a hi/lo read, if in man(ideal) the crossers create a mesh and a lot of traffic for the man-defender to run through. The underneath crosser is your primary against man-coverage.

GB comes with a cover=0 blitz, keeping Matthews in as a QB spy.

You see how Celek's man-defender has to navigate through 2 other players to stay in coverage.

Kaep sees it and makes the throw.

You see how the space is created for Celek to catch and run. This really works well, considering the corner on TS is running with him, with his back turned to where the ball was thrown.

Celek tries to make his man miss, but gets tackled...man, if he didn't get tackled....lotta room to run.
So far, jonny, you've cut up three quick passes designed to have Kap quickly release the ball - all at rather short range. The next two passes were quick WR screens to Boldin. So that's the first 5 passes being quick release throws - or at least designed to be that way. There was one Hyde run mixed in there. It was obvious they wanted Kap to get into a flow, while loosening up the box.

Yup - and one of those quick screens was a "package" play that was a designed run with a WR screen option built-in - like Pitt did against us.
Share 49ersWebzone