There are 185 users in the forums

General Coaching Options

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
I want a HC with a sharp offensive mind who can put together an equally sound staff in all phases of the game which can develop our young players (those currently on the team and those we acquire in the future). All this said, I don't think we have the ownership who can find the right people to take us back to respectability.

Geep Chryst
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
1) Jim Mora Jr
2) Urban Meyer
3) David Shaw

what
Tom Clements

Entering his 23rd season in the coaching profession, is in his 10th year with the Packers and his first as Green Bay's associate head coach/offense.

Now in his 19th overall season as an NFL coach, Clements was promoted to his current position on Feb. 12, 2015, after serving as Green Bay's offensive coordinator for the past three seasons (2012-14). He was promoted to offensive coordinator on Feb. 2, 2012, after serving as Green Bay's quarterbacks coach for the previous six seasons (2006-11). Having originally joined the Packers on Jan. 29, 2006, Clements also served as offensive coordinator for Buffalo (2004-05) and QBs coach for Pittsburgh (2001-03), Kansas City (2000) and New Orleans (1997-99).
1) Jim Mora Jr
2) Urban Meyer
3) David Shaw

Not sure what the fascination with Mora is. He had one good season with the Falcons when Vick caught the NFL by surprise and by his last season he was openly pitching himself to Washington while still with the Falcons. He was Holmgren's hand-picked successor in Seattle and turned out to be a disaster.

A defensive coach that has a spotty track record and is a massive d******d to boot, no thanks.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
If I would be given the power to hire a college coach, the 1st approach I would make is Chris Petersen...
Hue Jackson is the only coach on that list that interests me. He has an amazing offensive mind. He is very, very creative in his game calling. He had Jason Campbell humming before he got hurt, and he has maximized the production of that Bengal's offense.
[ Edited by COACHRED on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
getting the #1 overral pick, with Goff entering the draft, may be our best hope for attracting a good offensive coach.

I doubt we'll get the #1 overall pick. Top 5, almost certainly, but there are even worse train wrecks than us. And that's not guarantee that what we'll get won't be a new Jamarcus, RGIII or even Alex (who sucked in his first year). I strongly believe that our best hope is to stick with Kap. We just need a FO who will let people do their jobs, and I doubt we'll get that.

The sad thing is that I actually like Tomsula. But the whole set-up looks so amateurish, deer-in-the-headlights, it reminds me of 2007-10: over-promoted and in-over-their-heads coaches, demoralized players, angry fanbase ready to boo and demand stupid QB changes ("we want Carr!").
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:
I wanted to hire Rex Ryan or Todd Bowles both are doing pretty good right now. Im not sure who I want yet but I think we need to get an offensive guy who can develop a QB.

"offensive guy who can develop a QB." agreed. But you wanted Rex Ryan for that purpose?

yah that was different because I thought kap still had a future here but thats not the case anymore.
Originally posted by COACHRED:
Hue Jackson is the only coach on that list that interests me. He has an amazing offensive mind.

He's one of the few candidates that sounds good to me although now you would have to completely change the offense and blocking scheme yet again.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM ]
I think given the fact that we allowed 90 points in 2 weeks, and scored 6 in 2 weeks, it's fair to at least consider what other options exist.

Current Roster:
Jim Tomsula - I think out of respect for what seems like a nice guy, we should at least entertain the idea that he sticks around. The benefit is continuity. Maybe he needs a real chance, with a new QB, some help on the o-line, etc. The issue is that he's not an NFL head coach. Slice it how you will, Tomsula is not outsmarting BB or Tomlin in the SB.

College:
Urban Meyer - The only real question here is if he would leave college, and if he would, why this job would appeal to him over the Colts or Dolphins, who already have QBs. This is a loooooooooong shot, but it needs to be mentioned that he's the clear-cut most interesting candidate out there. Not many college coaches work out, and this could be a bust, but his ceiling is unlimited. One of the great football minds in the game. Would he know how to use Kaep? hmmmm...

Kevin Sumlin - He's built quite a program, but has he really done enough to be in that conversation with Carrol, Harbaugh, Saban, and Kelly, with college coaches that the NFL can't wait to test out. He's clearly managed QB development well, getting 2 drafted in the 1st round. He's also done well with offensive linemen. Also no indication that he'll be leaving his post, but it's not impossible.

David Shaw - How has his Stanford compared to Harbaugh's? Surprisingly, not bad. He's known a quality offensive mind, and certainly has a very disciplined team. We lack all of this.

Jim Mora Jr - The good? Niner roots, what he's done with UCLA, some success with ATL and pedigree. The bad? NFL HC resume isn't overly impressive, and a great owner in Paul Allen decided that he should go in a different direction. Maybe Mora got the additional experience he needed, and is ready for a return. After all, Carroll was fired by the great Kraft. But maybe he has no reason to leave UCLA.

Nick Saban - Not the likeliest candidate to return to the NFL, but why not mention him? But not my first pick, since the QB has never been a part of his repertoire. However, there's no denying what the man has done. One of the most dominant college coaches of all time, and a very respected coach by BB.

Current Assistants
Teryl Austin - While the Lions aren't experiencing the same success now, as they were last year, Austin is still very much in the mix. A thorough resume of coaching defensive backs and defenses, Austin seems ready. What bothers me is that he's a defensive coach (not a problem in general, but I assume we'll be starting over at QB, and will need someone ready to coach him up. Don't want the revolving door at OC again). I also don't see that signature about him resume. Not like he coached the 2012 Seahawks, or their secondary, and not like the figured out the 16-0 Pats in the SB. Just another defensive assistant. So many have failed.

Kyle Shannahan - Unlike Austin, Shannahan has some "signature" wins on his resume. He made the worthless RGIII the rookie of the year over Luck and Wilson, got Hoyer to look like a legit starter, and is now resurrecting the Falcons offense to dominance. He looks like he's 15, but that's the biggest knock, The guy has proven he can coach, and coach's kids usually do pretty well for themselves. I like this candidate a lot. If only he looked like an adult...

Greg Roman - I think Roman has earned consideration. Unfortunately, we closed that door. If Roman's performance with the niners wasn't convincing enough, Geep's performance certainly is.

Josh McDaniels - This is the one that's circled on Jed's wall. McDaniels has a big head, has failed miserably at the role before, has an annoying face, and really really really knows offensive football. I'm still waiting for a BB assistant to succeed in a role outside the Pats, but McDaniels is certainly the most likely. So many signature stats on his resume...now can they be replicated without TB and BB? Plus, didn't he turn us down last year? Ah yes, no one likes working for York.

Pep Hamilton - Popular name for some time is getting less popular. He's been tied to Luck his whole career, and people will be weary. However, he's still a smart football coach, been around some solid coaches, and has helped develop Luck into one of the better young QBs in the game. He's an interesting name to keep in mind, once everyone else turns us down.

Hue Jackson - Interesting choice. Was clearly not ready to be HC, Owner, GM, etc. overnight, but has always been an impressive offensive coach. With the right experience and the right structure around him, Hue is an interesting option. His Palmer trade may have been a disaster, but he had the right idea. You rebuild with a QB. It's amazing, but some people still don't fully recognize that.

Vance Joseph - While he hasn't been a coordinator yet, the name has been mentioned around the league for years now. He may be the rare position coach who'll get a jump right into coaching. On the downside, those guys fail more often than not. Perhaps we should keep a close eye on him for a DC position. Or if the niners stick to their current trends, maybe they'll hire him to be a TEs coach...but that's a different topic altogether.

Kris Richard - A little too early, I know, but this guy has a real future in the NFL. This was the DBs coach for the best secondary of all time, comprised largely for late round picks, and undrafted FAs. Maybe if we have the bad sense to let Tomsula bake for another year, we can come back to this candidate in 2017. Ghosh he's impressive...but maybe not quite seasoned enough.

Former Coaches
Mike Smith - Let's forget all the guys who have been retired for 15 years, and working an commentators. The one guy of interest is Mike Smith. A good coach, who didn't quite rebuild after his team lost key pieces. That just happens sometimes. Reminds me a lot of John Fox and the success he had in Denver, after a few down years in Carolina. Not the most exciting hire on earth, but would be solid.

My top choices are Meyer (we have no shot, but he remain my top pick by far), Sumlin and Shannahan. Thoughts?

Well thought out. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Unfortunately I think it's a moot point because the top names would want full control and so as not to get harbaughed.
[ Edited by MedievalMarselis on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM ]

really? after 4 games?? really?? reallly? go be a raiders fan!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
nahhh, as much I would admit that Hue Jackson would be a solid choice, just go watch what Petersen has done with Boise and what he's building up there in Washington..

Plus, I would think that Hue would be more interested in Indy, a team that's alrady on the GO!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
nahhh, as much I would admit that Hue Jackson would be a solid choice, just go watch what Petersen has done with Boise and what he's building up there in Washington..

Plus, I would think that Hue would be more interested in Indy, a team that's alrady on the GO!!

Yeah they look like they are on the GO.

Also, forget about Petersen, ain't happening. Tomsula probably gets a second year as HC, if ultimately he doesn't work out, I would expect the next HC to be someone with a good established track record in the NFL, either as a HC or as a coordinator.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
You don't see Indy as a team ready to GO if you're a HC that's being considered??

or would you rather really challenge yourself and go after the 49er and the Dolphins' opening??
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1) Jim Mora Jr
2) Urban Meyer
3) David Shaw

Not sure what the fascination with Mora is. He had one good season with the Falcons when Vick caught the NFL by surprise and by his last season he was openly pitching himself to Washington while still with the Falcons. He was Holmgren's hand-picked successor in Seattle and turned out to be a disaster.

A defensive coach that has a spotty track record and is a massive d******d to boot, no thanks.

Mora: 31-33 with Atlanta and Seattle then 33–12 at UCLA. Pete Carroll: 33-31 with NY and NE then 83–18 at USC, now 52-32 in Seattle. That is what people are hoping for.
Share 49ersWebzone