LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Say we keep Kap...how do we fix this and move forward with him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DefSikNiner:
IMO, this is most likely his last year with us...and for the sake of his career, it may be for the best.

But if he were to stay, I'm thinking maybe we can bring in Jeff Garcia to coach him; I mean the guy was pretty vocal about wanting to work with Kaep. Plus, his style was similar, in that he was a mobile running QB. And he is pretty hands-on (I know Warner had limited time with Kaep).

In the end, it all lies with the FO/ownership. I don't quite know what is going on behind the scenes, but it seems like either they really are that clueless and naive or they're up to something sneaky. Maybe a final F.U. to Harbaugh by ruining Kaep.

Saving Colin's career may be difficult. I agree that Jeff Garcia would be a great coach. But the steps that I'd implement are completely re-tooling what Colin currently does and it may like trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. Here's what I'd concentrate on:

1. Jeff holds a stop watch. Colin has 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. This drill is run until Colin's arm falls off.
2. Teach Colin to square his shoulders and throw the ball from his ear. That long loopy arm motion needs to go.
3. Do footwork drills that emphasize quick steps. Over and over and over again.
4. Focus on opening up the playbook especially working on quick hitters over the middle which for the most part are non existent now.
5. Find Colin a Amendola/Welker/Edelman waterbug type of receiver that can get open quickly. There's your safety value.
6. Get rid of any slow receivers. Sorry Boldin, love you but it's time to go.

Can this be done? Is it even worth it? Does it make sense? Again, doubtful. But it would be a plan if for some odd reason you want to keep Colin.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
I doubt that Colin will be successful turning his play around in San Francisco for two reasons. 1. He needs an offensive coordinator that is good at developing quarterbacks (Norm Turner comes to mind). The odds of getting such an OC in SF in the near future is non-existent. 2. He will be the scapegoat for this season. Prior to the start of the season I felt that he would be gone after the season even if he played well. After all he was Harbaugh's choice so targeting him for any problems with the season would allow the FO to escape their responsibility for another year. The way he is playing now clearly he will not get beyond the end of the season to turn things around, if that long.

Right now he is being given too mutually exclusive directions. 1. Become a traditional pocket passer 2. Use his running ability more. End result a lot more indecision.

His old style was decisive, drill the ball into small windows. New style play with more touch and less velocity. Result longer processing time, more indecision, and a lower velocity pass.

He needs to go back to old style, OC needs to structure offense to take advantage of that and then add in specific plays to enhance and utilize new skills.

Trying to change his approach, together with the change in coaching staff and poor o-line equals disaster.

I wonder why he decided this year to work with Warner, instead of what he has done in the past. Was it his idea or was he pushed in that direction by management or the new coaching staff?
[ Edited by rdc1 on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:20 AM ]
why would we keep him?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
What is Barry Switzer doing? Bring him in at offensive coordinator. If people think 2012 can magically reappear why not 1972. Colin would be a great wishbone quarterback. Put Vernon at fullback and for the split tailbacks use Hyde and Bush, rotating in the two fastest receivers as their back ups. Kaepernick's
passing accuracy (horrible) is typical of a wishbone QB, it would all be perfect. Since the 49ers have the NFL's worst offense there is no way to go but up no matter what you do.
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
why would we keep him?

Not sure. I estimate only 1/4 of the Fan Base still believes "He's young/just needs more time/just needs a new HC/OC"

He is a dead man walking. He does not possess the tools to significantly improve and we do not possess options to significantly improve the roster around him this season.

We SHOULD draft in the lottery this off-season and next. I do not really care if it's Kaepernick, Gabbert or Veteran behind center next year. My main focus is high draft picks.

So we probably won't even have the pieces in place until 2017. Then the real fun begins: deciding if our picks were booms or busts.
[ Edited by LinkMeBro on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:47 AM ]
why would we keep him?

I think that's on the tip of everybody's tongue.
why would we keep him?

I'd be surprised if we do. The damage has been done....
[ Edited by pete98146 on Oct 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
What is Barry Switzer doing? Bring him in at offensive coordinator. If people think 2012 can magically reappear why not 1972. Colin would be a great wishbone quarterback. Put Vernon at fullback and for the split tailbacks use Hyde and Bush, rotating in the two fastest receivers as their back ups. Kaepernick's
passing accuracy (horrible) is typical of a wishbone QB, it would all be perfect. Since the 49ers have the NFL's worst offense there is no way to go but up no matter what you do.

VD would be one hell of a FB later when he loses he speed Imma try it in Madden!
Originally posted by fropwns:
I say we keep the guy that got us to the Super Bowl and damn near another. So, how do we do this? Part of me says you can Jimmy T (sorry, Jimmy T), you bring in Sean Payton (que Brinks truck backing up) and in the first three rounds of the draft you draft O-linemen. I really do think that one of the problems Kap is facing is his struggle with whether to run or throw. He is thinking way too much. Also, I think they are not challenging him by constantly saying/claiming that they have stripped back the playbook to suit his needs. Here's an idea. Don't. By doing that you are sending the message for him to just go out there and run around with reckless abandon, while Kurt Warner is saying "trust your eyes, go through your reads, and get rid of the ball." While everybody else is saying "don't force it, get rid of it, but make the play!"

I think part of it is on Kap, the other part is on that god awful o-line. Kap is all flustered and confused. He was right; a 7torm was coming. It is here now. And it is kicking his ass. Badly. So, for those of you that want to reclaim/save/bolster our QB and move forward, I ask you: how? How do you do it?

The line has been a joke all the way across and the game planning has not been very good.
I agree the coaching in the offseason has had a negative effect, he is trying to stay in the pocket and he has zero trust in the pocket for good reason.
I would be open to him getting a game on the bench if he struggles for a few more weeks but I think Kaepernick is the guy going forward until you can at least draft someone to develop. Kaep's ceiling is high.
Originally posted by rxrunner:
ummm no, we dont keep him. we cut him or trade him to the redskins.

I could see the Eagles wanting him but the redskins are still dealing with rg3's collapse doubt they would want another arrogant, bad qb.
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by BobS:

VD would be one hell of a FB later when he loses he speed Imma try it in Madden!

Haha I used to always have Vernon in the backfield with gore running wheel routes against linebackers it was legit

Build the OL to cowboys standards of the early 90's, and that will fix everything. If you still want Sean Payton, just wave a boatload of JuicyFruit gum and he'll sign.
Intensive shock therapy for kaep, maybe even during games. He could wear a collar which shocks him if he hasn't released the ball 3 seconds after the snap, and then again if it's an interception or incomplete (different voltages of course).
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Kaep can learn footwork from Danny Terio and he can learn Dan Marino's quick release, but if he can't read where to throw and place the damn ball, nothing will change..

Just like the Cowboys (Hutchinson) in the late 90s, Kaep is notihng but an athletic pitcher who can play QB.. but he aint a QB by nature..
[ Edited by 9moon on Oct 6, 2015 at 12:32 PM ]
imho, according to game film thread, kaep doesnt have the mental ability to survive in the nfl. i was afraid that this is the case since 2013, now im very sure about that.
time to move on.
Share 49ersWebzone