There are 220 users in the forums

Week 4 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree with your assessment. Kap looks lost back there and is tap dancing to ghosts on downs that he actually gets protection. That all comes down to the offensive line. They couldn't stop anyone yesterday. Kap was hit on 11 of 25 dropbacks. That's almost half. Not only that but they have no hot routes set up for him to throw the ball. It's hard for him not to throw off his back foot when he can not step up in the pocket. The whole right side is horrible. That's where Frank Gore could've helped the passing game, heck miller can help there too...hopefully they shuffle the line and try some new blood there.

Chryst's system is horrible. I was looking up the stats for his previous tenure as an offensive coordinator and we'll, I think San Diego was at the bottom of the barrel when he was over there so I shouldn't have expected anything different. He has no imagination. He basically gave up on that set of downs when he ran bush on a 3rd and 11. I can't believe with a game within reach he went that conservative. He started calling quick hitches and runs that were helping Kap and then shied away from them in the second half. Hyde only got the ball 8 times. Running the ball more will definitely help the whole offensive line, not to mention help with creating Playaction! This guy's play calling had me fuming.

Don't even get me started with McDonald.

The defense definitely played well enough to win. That's saying a lot considering they were facing the best Qb in the game. Lynch had a great game and keep in mind he is doing it without Justin Smith. Aldon got a ton of Sacks when Cowboy would play but when he wouldn't, Aldon would disappear. Does anyone know how he's doing in Oakland? Lynch is only going to get better. At least that's something to look forward to this season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
didn't watch, lol

actually watched the 4th qtr, don't wonna waste my time watching this garbage.

#SuckOff4Goff
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
This team is a mess. Three points???
Harbaugh must be laughing his ass off...
1. Going to Gabbert and benching Kaep is NOT AN OPTION. Gabbert sucks ass and nothing will be gained from having him in the game. The fact we dont have a young QB even close to being ready is scary.
2. How Vance McDonald is still on this team amazes me. He has sucked from Day 1. Cut him already and move on. TE will be a priority in the off season as i think we let VD go too. Too injury prone now, and seems weak on the field unable to break tackles. (Of course he likes to drop balls too).
3. O-Line. Clearly top draft pick next season and FA priority. There is no point in signing T. Smith for deep balls when the QB has 2-3 Sec at the most to throw it before getting hit.
4. Def. played as well as you can vs. Packers. 17 pts is a huge win in my books, and if we had any offense at all, we could have won the game.
5. Our coaching staff is not NFL quality. Tomsula is a great guy, but he is not a head coach. He is the YES Man for ownership for the time being.

Boldin is pissed off and frustrated and I cant blame him. Completing a simple pass seems difficult these days. Time to get the young WRs in Patton and Ellington more playing time, and throwing some screens, reverses, gadget plays etc. to mix things up.
Kaep is holding on too tight and he's lost his edge. If he and Chryst can't get over the fear, they are doomed for the long term and so is the team. Right now, I would rather see what Gabbert has then watching Kaep run around like a chicken with its head cut off and ruin the entire offense.

The other thing that needs to happen is a total revamp of the offensive line. Martin, Devey and Pears are killing the offense as much as Kaep. The Niners need Kilgore back in the middle and somebody/anybody at RG and RT besides those two turnstiles they have out there now.
Originally posted by Method:
Here's why I want to move on from kap:

Points Per Game

Completely unacceptable.

This is eye opening. And disturbing.

NY Jets..Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chris Ivory, Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, Jeff Cumberland

Buffalo...Tyrod Taylor, Lesean McCoy-Karlos Willis, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Charles Clay

Titans...Marcus Marriota, Bishop Sanky-Dexter McCluster, Kendall Wright, Harry Douglas, Justin Hunter, Dorial Green Beckham, Delanie Walker.

Carolina...Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart, Tedd Ginn Jr, Dwayne Funches, Philly Brown, Jericho Cotchery, Greg Olson.
Cut Kap, he is done in the NFL. He is destined to be a backup somewhere just like Mike Vick. They both have the same issue, too mentally slow to play the game.
I think Kap gets more than 2 games to snap out of this funk. But one thing that needs to be clear, his performance these last 2 weeks has been unacceptable. I know all about the o-line woes, I've been complaining about that unit for months. He still needs to make the throws that can be made.

They are not benching Kap this week, and I think it's the right move for now. In the meantime I'll be extremely disappointed if they continue to trot out this o-line. We need a change up front, this line will not gel. Can't turn crap into gold. Make a change up front and if that doesn't work, make a change at QB.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM ]
I really really like Kaep, have supported him thru ups n downs but i do believe he has lost his confidence. I wanna see the fire that he had, the trash talking, the kissing of the bicep.. unfortunately, it is all gone thus far...
  • thl408
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think Kap gets more than 2 games to snap out of this funk. But one thing that needs to be clear, his performance these last 2 weeks has been unacceptable. I know all about the o-line woes, I've been complaining about that unit for months. He still needs to make the throws that can be made.

Agreed. I'm trying to look at each play as its own entity. There are indeed plays where Kap has no chance because there is unblocked pressure, or poor blocking up the middle. There are also plays where he has time and won't pull the trigger with a checkdown available, plays where he has open WRs over the middle and won't target them (haven't looked to see what his progressions may be on those plays), and then the plays where he throws it at a stationary WR's feet.

I have mixed feelings for benching Kap, so I would be okay with it just to see what Gabbert can do. This offense is sulking with their body language. Boldin and Torrey seem frustrated. I think a change in QB might give these players some energy, if nothing else. If Kap can't handle a benching, then he isn't mentally tough enough to be the QB.

Originally posted by ninerjok:
I think about 15 years ago is when a Carolina Panthers team won the first game of the season and then proceeded to lose the rest to finish 1-15, even though they seemingly had more talent than such an abysmal record. Am I in self-denial this is the basic state of the 2015 Niners?

honestly, we arent making it to the playoffs. I am good with getting the #1 overall pick and an excuse to get Tomsula on the hot seat. #SuckforGoff
Originally posted by Method:
Here's why I want to move on from kap:

Points Per Game

Completely unacceptable.

We would not even be there if garbage time was taken out of the equation.

Also, make a chart of length of touchdown drives. we've had one that mattered in the last three games: total distance 20-something yards?
Originally posted by thl408:

Agreed. I'm trying to look at each play as its own entity. There are indeed plays where Kap has no chance because there is unblocked pressure, or poor blocking up the middle. There are also plays where he has time and won't pull the trigger with a checkdown available, plays where he has open WRs over the middle and won't target them (haven't looked to see what his progressions may be on those plays), and then the plays where he throws it at a stationary WR's feet.

I have mixed feelings for benching Kap, so I would be okay with it just to see what Gabbert can do. This offense is sulking with their body language. Boldin and Torrey seem frustrated. I think a change in QB might give these players some energy, if nothing else. If Kap can't handle a benching, then he isn't mentally tough enough to be the QB.

I agree with Sofa. I would make oline changes first before I'd bench a QB. It's been my experience that when a guy gets the Yips the WORST thing to do is blame him. QB, pitcher, kicker and any positions that requires touch and feel require a deft touch when handling them. It usually takes a a few brights spots in their game to get them right. If you bench them it creates a mental hurdle that's hard to reverse. We seem to be asking him to constantly change and to his detriment he's listening. He, IMO, needs to say f**k it and do what he wants not what others think he needs. Truth be told I'd have him reach out to Harbaugh because that's the LAST person that actually had him right and he trusts him.
Originally posted by thl408:

Agree. Kap will be benched in the very near future if he doesn't get it together. People blaming the o-line for breaking his confidence, and they are a big problem, but he cannot allow a bad o-line to completely destroy his game and make him non-functional. He has to have enough mental toughness and football smarts to at least make the plays he should make.
I am not sure that getting Hyde more touches would have helped, he rushed for 2.5 YPC yesterday and has averaged 38 rushing yards per game since the opener.
Share 49ersWebzone