LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

WE NEED TO WORKOUT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN NOT WIDE RECEIVERS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Antix:
Oh theres defenitely somebody better than Devey out there. Devey might be the worst guard Ive ever seen. He shouldnt even be on a tean let alone starting.

None of that matters as long as the coaching staff is like "we're building chemistry."

Nailed it
Baalke whiffed on trading for Devey instead of Levitre for sure.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ike49:
I'd start with the 31 other teams practice squads and work my way down from there

If I was in charge, I'd cut Devey outright and drop Silberman to the PS. I'd bring Tiller up from the PS, I'd also snatch up Laurence Gibson from the KC PS. I'd put Easton at center, Tiller at RT and leave Pears at RT for the time being and see if either Brown or Gibson can show enough to displace him in the near future.

But that's still a crapshoot, these other guys could be just as bad or worse but I'll be stunned if the coaching staff sticks with the "stay the course" rhetoric yet again.

I agree that some part of what you are proposing here might be the solution, however, a quarterback that can execute a short, quick passing game would also help the OL a lot. Don't expect them to pass protect for 3-4 seconds. Get the ball out in less than 2 seconds and that forces the opponent to slow down the rush.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Antix:
Oh theres defenitely somebody better than Devey out there. Devey might be the worst guard Ive ever seen. He shouldnt even be on a tean let alone starting.

None of that matters as long as the coaching staff is like "we're building chemistry."

Nailed it

No doubt. That cohesion crap is so stupid. Neityer devey or pears should be on this team next year but Thomas Brown Tiller etc might be. Get them in and see what they can do. Impossible to be worse.
This out to help

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 1m1 minute ago
Former #49ers OLB Parys Haralson is scheduled to work out for team in Santa Clara today, according to source.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
This out to help

Former #49ers OLB Parys Haralson is scheduled to work out for team in Santa Clara today, according to source.

oh brother lol
This out to help

Veteran depth
  • dj43
The biggest problem with the OL is the timing of the Anthony Davis retirement. It came when the FA market was depleted and all the better players were gone.

I don't know what the staff is seeing in practice but Brandon Thomas must have been a horrible draft choice if he can't play better than Devey.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Devey cost nothing, Levitre is earning $8 million a year coming off a terrible season. Most teams were waiting for him to be cut.
  • dj43
This out to help

For future reference...

• thl408
I don't even like Looney that much, but a traffic cone is better than Devey. Bring back Looney.
Originally posted by dj43:
The biggest problem with the OL is the timing of the Anthony Davis retirement. It came when the FA market was depleted and all the better players were gone.

I don't know what the staff is seeing in practice but Brandon Thomas must have been a horrible draft choice if he can't play better than Devey.

I think it all goes back to having "cohesion" which there seems to be a ridiculous emphasis on. Maybe the OL coaches are telling Tomsula that they are just working out the kinks and that this is a salvageable situation.
  • thl408
Originally posted by dj43:

I think it all goes back to having "cohesion" which there seems to be a ridiculous emphasis on. Maybe the OL coaches are telling Tomsula that they are just working out the kinks and that this is a salvageable situation.

Cohesion can help with picking up blitzes and stunts. But guys like Devey and Pears are getting physically overmatched. Devey can't stop a bull rush. Pears gets beat wide and bulrushes. These are 1v1 battles being lost.
It is doubly tough to fill out an OL when you need THREE guys, C to RT. Why we haven't had Easton, Brown, and Looney in is a mystery to me. The 3 we have no are not working. Hard part is say if you are an OG, and you have two lames on either side of you, then you look bad too. It just accentuates what the AD retirement did. But not to give other guys a try, and then start working down the PS of other teams, I do not know. That is a mistake. To HOPE that devey, pears and whats his face at C are going to get better...well that is a forlorn hope. Try new guys. Sooner or later we score on one. And then keep going until we have 3 guys that are better than the disgrace we have out there now. Martin...what in the world is that guy still doing on our team. HIs best block is when his man blows by him, makes the tackle and then martin jumps on the pile , blocking his man in the back. No joke, that is his most common block. Gotta get new blood thru our PS and the other 31 teams .lists.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Devey cost nothing, Levitre is earning $8 million a year coming off a terrible season. Most teams were waiting for him to be cut.

He was free and we still got ripped off.
Share 49ersWebzone