There are 202 users in the forums

Remember when we were an offensive focused team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:
We never should have let the WCO leave the building in 2002. It pains me that the packers are flourishing by taking the WCO and making it their identity in 1992. Hell, case in point, they were so tied to it they hired our OC who had just finished coordinating the 32nd ranked offense as their HC in McCarthy in 2006. This should have been us being so tied to the WCO that it was driving our personnel and coaching hires. It's maddening how we just ignore the best thing about our history.

Imo, it should have been either Mike Shanahan or Holmgren as the HC selection. Each had championship cache, a version of the WCO and a tie to this franchise when it was truly great.

I really don't get this line of thinking. Holmgren was garbage as a coach and GM for damn near a decade and even currently, NOBODY wants him as head coach.

Yet, him coming to the 49ers will magically solve all of our problems?
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM ]
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by captveg:
Of course. Just saying in SF the fans wil loverlook mediocre defense if the offense is high quality. See: 1998

nothing good came out of it. 1998 was the start of defense's downfall and it looked like crap from then on. in that miraculous giants playoff win a few years later, collins, shockey and toomer put on a clinic on against plummer, brunson and rumph.

a great offense with crappy D is almost always inferior to a great defense with crappy O.

1998 was our last championship quality offense with the exception of the kap led 2012 offense that was really exploiting the read option game.

1998 could have won a title if BY woulda stayed healthy even dispite it's secondary problems. Our defense with a healthy BY was on par with any of he other final 4 that year (Den, Min, ATL, NYJ). It really was our last dynasty team.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by theninermind:
Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, Jim Harbaugh, and now Jim Tomsula. Fans want WCO, ownership says screw you. 13 years.

and teams like seattle, green bay and tons of others are thriving with it. why are we so against using a system we created?

We have a GM/Owner who want to build their own legacy.

The biggest losers.

It almost feels like their hatred for Eddie D/Walsh's era is so much that they would rather lose than hire anyone with BW's coaching tree. Why would anyone abandon WCO offense for this style of offense? We almost have no hope whatsoever if get down by two TD these days.
Originally posted by baltien:
I really don't get this line of thinking. Holmgren was garbage as a coach and GM for damn near a decade and even currently, NOBODY wants him as head coach.

Holmgren was no where close to being a garbage coach for a "decade". His last decade which is his Seattle years included going to the playoffs 6 times, winning a conference and having 5 top 10 offense of which 3 were top 5 offenses. This was done without a HOF QB at a place that never had any sustained success.

He was bad as a GM at Cleveland, but my feeling are only based on being a HC. He's one of the greatest offensive minds in league history. We would have been fortunate to have him as our coach. However, my first choice would have been Shanahan.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 4, 2015 at 8:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816: Our defense with a healthy BY was on par with any of he other final 4 that year (Den, Min, ATL, NYJ). It really was our last dynasty team.

all of those teams except the vikings had top 5 or 10 defenses. we did not. we started being especially susceptible to the pass, a trend that would mostly hold for years after.
dana and rod woodson being gone from that 97 team really hurt. mcquarters was a joke and merton/mcdonald were on their last legs. we havent had a good performing secondary from 97 to 2011

Holmgren was no where close to being a garbage coach for a "decade". His last decade which is his Seattle years included going to the playoffs 6 times, winning a conference and having 5 top 10 offense of which 3 were top 5 offenses. This was done without a HOF QB at a place that never had any sustained success.

He was bad as a GM at Cleveland, but my feeling are only based on being a HC. He's one of the greatest offensive minds in league history. We would have been fortunate to have him as our coach. However, my first choice would have been Shanahan.

His last winning season was 2007. I think that qualifies as "damn near a decade ago."

Nobody disputes that he WAS a great coach. But that was then and this now. What has you convinced that at 67 years of age and being of coaching for a few years now he is the answer?

Beyond nostalgia, I mean.
Originally posted by NikeSBHead:
No because I was still semen.

hilarious
Originally posted by captveg:
Not since 2002

Remember how ecstatic we all were when Harbaugh said in his hired press conference he'd bring that back?

Gruden or Holmgren wouldn't lie like that, damn it! Even if they sucked it up, they'd lose with the WCO kicking an screaming. :p

at least harbaugh brought us back to winning, albeit a s**tty offense other than 2012 Kap.
I keep reading the title as "remember when we were a focused team".
We never should have let the WCO leave the building in 2002. It pains me that the packers are flourishing by taking the WCO and making it their identity in 1992. Hell, case in point, they were so tied to it they hired our OC who had just finished coordinating the 32nd ranked offense as their HC in McCarthy in 2006. This should have been us being so tied to the WCO that it was driving our personnel and coaching hires. It's maddening how we just ignore the best thing about our history.

Imo, it should have been either Mike Shanahan or Holmgren as the HC selection. Each had championship cache, a version of the WCO and a tie to this franchise when it was truly great.

This. Never should have let the WCO leave the building, and never should have strayed away from the Walsh coaching tree.

We had a winning organizational philosophy gift-wrapped to current ownership, and they choose to abandon it for some stupid reason.

His last winning season was 2007. I think that qualifies as "damn near a decade ago."

Nobody disputes that he WAS a great coach. But that was then and this now. What has you convinced that at 67 years of age and being of coaching for a few years now he is the answer?

Beyond nostalgia, I mean.

Age has nothing to do with anything. Belichick is 63, Carroll is 64 and Coughlin is like 68. He's only really been out of football for 2 years (while he last coached in 2008, he was in the league until 2013) and is one of the greatest offensive minds the league has known. It's not like the doesn't use basically use every WCO concept in some form or fashion in their offenses anyway. So schematically it's not like he's at this huge disadvantage.

If anything we would have got a HOF worthy coach that was rested going for title in his home and rounding off his career.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
all of those teams except the vikings had top 5 or 10 defenses. we did not. we started being especially susceptible to the pass, a trend that would mostly hold for years after.
dana and rod woodson being gone from that 97 team really hurt. mcquarters was a joke and merton/mcdonald were on their last legs. we havent had a good performing secondary from 97 to 2011

Based on points allowed, NYJ was 2nd, ATL was 4th and Denver was 8th. In this respect we were 13th. Our 1998 defense failed in yardage 23th. I was basing my thoughts on the fact we beat 2 of those teams and the team we woulda played in the SB gave up 309 points and we gave up 328.

I agree that our secondary was s**t, but none of the defenses in the final 4 were really all that stout especially Denver. I think a healthy BY (and assuming a heathy Hearst for the offense) would have given us enough defense to win considering how prolific the offense was in 1998.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM ]
3 year championship window and back to the Dark Ages. Thank God for fantasy football.
SF at Indy 40-21 box score 2001

I was at this game. Amazing and dominant performance. Not the most talented team. But certainly very well coached. Averaged 26 points per game, 3rd in the NFL.

Picked off Manning 4 times. Scored 4 offensive touchdowns.
the days we used to pass to set up the run game...
Share 49ersWebzone