There are 159 users in the forums

Do we trade Kap in the offseason and draft a QB next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we trade Kap in the offseason and draft a QB next year?

Personally, and I'm a nobody, Kap has to show decent improvement the rest of this season or he is gone. He is due for a big paycheck next year and I can't see the front office paying that if Kap cannot play more consistent. It's the whole reason they gave themselves relatively cheap ways out of his contract. Granted, there are no replacements in sight but I don't think that matters. If they can't make it close to the top with Kap, it's not going to make a lot of difference who is behind center. It's called rebuilding. Move on and save your money.
We have plenty of Kap room(see what i did there?).

If the 49ers are smart, they keep Kap on the roster next season as the starter, but draft a QB in the first two rounds to groom for a year behind him. If Kap struggles, then unfortunately the rookie would have to play, but you never want to start a rookie QB IMO. Period. Every Rookie QB in the NFL should be afforded a year to sit. Unfortunately thats not always the case, but the 49ers are in a good position to address the QB posiion in the right way and not rush things with overreactions.

If Kap works out and continues to progress, your in a great position to groom the rookie for a couple years until its time to take over. Letting Kap go and addressing the position with Gabbert and a rookie would be a mistake, and im one of the people who think the book is still open and being written on Gabbert.
What value could we get from him. I mean alex smith got us two 2nd round picks... I feel like we could get something good
  • Stud
What we do in the offseason is draft a sh-t load of Offensive linesman and then draft Kaps potential replacement. It's time to move on.
Originally posted by redwood:
Personally, and I'm a nobody, Kap has to show decent improvement the rest of this season or he is gone. He is due for a big paycheck next year and I can't see the front office paying that if Kap cannot play more consistent. It's the whole reason they gave themselves relatively cheap ways out of his contract. Granted, there are no replacements in sight but I don't think that matters. If they can't make it close to the top with Kap, it's not going to make a lot of difference who is behind center. It's called rebuilding. Move on and save your money.

I thought Kap's contract was structured based on his performance such as yards, %, wins and losses, and if he makes the probowl?
Also, the team can let him go anytime too. From what I remember. people were calling him and his agent dumb for signing that team friendly contract.
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Oct 23, 2015 at 1:01 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Looking like a REAL possibility now, my how the tides have changed. At the beginning of this thread I said hell no, NOW, I think so. It's either Chryst or Kap that will coast Baalke or Tomsula their jobs so someone needs to go.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Keep Keap, draft a QB, draft one every year until we have the next Montana, then draft one every other year until we have the next Young.

I know we traded for Steve, just trying to make a point about stockpiling QB talent.

It ain't the 80's anymore. Nobody really has the resource to keep two starting-quality QB's unless they get real lucky with a rookie.

You take a QB every draft until you find the one. Once you have your guy, you still take a QB every other year, as insurance. If your starter stays healthy, and plays for a decade, you can always trade a talented young QB for picks, or players. There should be three talented QBs on the roster at all times, they don't have to be top ten talent, but you keep looking until you have them.
Keep Keap, draft a QB, draft one every year until we have the next Montana, then draft one every other year until we have the next Young.

I know we traded for Steve, just trying to make a point about stockpiling QB talent.

It ain't the 80's anymore. Nobody really has the resource to keep two starting-quality QB's unless they get real lucky with a rookie.

You take a QB every draft until you find the one. Once you have your guy, you still take a QB every other year, as insurance. If your starter stays healthy, and plays for a decade, you can always trade a talented young QB for picks, or players. There should be three talented QBs on the roster at all times, they don't have to be top ten talent, but you keep looking until you have them.

I get what your saying...though I think one you find "the guy" those QB picks have to start becoming later round lottery tickets. You cant sink that much resource into a spot you have filled.
As I have said many times, I think Kap needs to get with Chip Kelley to really take off. Both are unconventional dudes that could bring out the best in one another. And I bet Kelley thinks he can revive his career too. Personally, I do not think Kap has regressed. The talent around him (O line mainly) has eroded. Even with Iupati and Daviis last year they SUCKED. And I think Kap is rattled, shell shocked from the pummeling. Can't say I blame him. So, even though I don't think he is a lost cause ... I do think a change of scenery could be needed.

That being said, if Philly would do a straight up trade of Bradford for Kap ... would that make everyone happy? There is the pocket passer everyone whines about all the time. Personally, I think he is just another QB that everyone will complain about,. Hell, any QB behind this line would look like crap.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I get what your saying...though I think one you find "the guy" those QB picks have to start becoming later round lottery tickets. You cant sink that much resource into a spot you have filled.

The Qb spot is the most important spot on the roster, teams with out a QB have no chance, zero, zip, nada! You can not put to many draft picks into finding the next Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers.
Yes you are right, once you have the guy, and a promising back up, you can look to the later rounds for talent, but you should never, ever pass on a QB who you think might have "it".

You can always trade a decent QB for good value.

Oh, and while we are at it, you can't trade Keapernick, until you have some one better on the roster, don't say Gabbert. Even if Gabberet was better, you keep Keapernick, as he has shown the ability to play at a high level as a starting Qb in the NFL, trade Keapernick, after Gabbert has shown he can do the same, and we have a guy on the bench we feel strongly about.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Looking like a REAL possibility now, my how the tides have changed. At the beginning of this thread I said hell no, NOW, I think so. It's either Chryst or Kap that will coast Baalke or Tomsula their jobs so someone needs to go.

I knew it would happen simply because I had already seen enough of Kap's game, basically what you see is what you get and I just knew it wasn't going to work long term.

I was just listening to KNBR and Tim Ryan was on and what he said was Kap will get his chances to prove himself, but once playoffs hopes are out of the question mathematically and if the 9ers choose to play Gabbert, then he reckons Kap's days could be numbered.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
As I have said many times, I think Kap needs to get with Chip Kelley to really take off. Both are unconventional dudes that could bring out the best in one another. And I bet Kelley thinks he can revive his career too. Personally, I do not think Kap has regressed. The talent around him (O line mainly) has eroded. Even with Iupati and Daviis last year they SUCKED. And I think Kap is rattled, shell shocked from the pummeling. Can't say I blame him. So, even though I don't think he is a lost cause ... I do think a change of scenery could be needed.

That being said, if Philly would do a straight up trade of Bradford for Kap ... would that make everyone happy? There is the pocket passer everyone whines about all the time. Personally, I think he is just another QB that everyone will complain about,. Hell, any QB behind this line would look like crap.

The problem is, Philly's OL is probably worse than ours . He would stay shell-shocked there.

I personally think he is still fixable. Hell, Alex proved fixable (to the point of being serviceable, which is his ceiling) when he got some real coaching. I would keep but bench him (so that he doesn't get damaged further), and draft another QB next year who could be eased into the offense.

The team's problems should be addressed first by firing everyone in the FO, getting some professional coaching back in, and trading any veteran who's still tradeable. This is a full-scale rebuild now, and we are looking at least at another 2-3 years of suckage. Kap could be a part of this, but he needs a better line and a better staff before he's thrown back out there.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I think we can pretty much close up this thread. I don't think there is any point to poll about Kap anymore. Is more than safe to say he will no longer be a member of the San Francisco 49ers in the 2016 season. Case closed.
Share 49ersWebzone