LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Do we trade Kap in the offseason and draft a QB next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we trade Kap in the offseason and draft a QB next year?

Originally posted by Rascal:
I think you might be surprised.

No, I won't be. Baalke will be back next season, in all likelihood so will Tomsula. If the team is still struggling in 2016, that is when I think you would see some wholesale changes, not before.

If anything, Tomsula's struggles could provide better job security for Baalke. York dumped an established coach for a guy that he really liked who is a nice guy that might be in over his head. With Baalke he has a guy that he really likes who has generally been good at his job, why would he risk hiring the GM equivalent of Tomsula. He'll stick with him for awhile longer.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2015 at 7:08 PM ]
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
I don't want to stick with Kap any longer than necessary, but drafting a QB to be the day 1 starter would be a huge mistake. We have to build a stable environment before we start looking for the QB of the future. I want to see both the OL and the coaching staff rebuilt. It might take three years before we are truly ready to invest in a legit young QB prospect, but I'd be willing to pay that price to avoid having to draft a new QB every two or three years.

Wow. What is wrong with firing Tomsula and the rest of the coaching staff, drafting O-linemen and a new QB at the same time?

Because rebuilding the coaching staff and the OLine will be chaotic. A rookie QB will wilt in that environment. Need stability.

So, you are not suggesting to keep Kap for the next 3 years until you are happy with the O-line and coaching staff, are you?!

At more than ~$10mil per year, no. If Kap renegotiates down to what he is worth, then sure. Let him stay and rack up consecutive top 5 draft picks. If he won't take less, we could probably snag a vet in free agency to fill the roster spot.
I'd trust some dumb team out there would take a chance on him just the fact he has been succesful before there should be suitors. If dudes like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Weeden N Josh McClown could get several chances we can polish N shine this rock to make it look like a diamond we deft. can sell it for a decent price.
I don't want to stick with Kap any longer than necessary, but drafting a QB to be the day 1 starter would be a huge mistake. We have to build a stable environment before we start looking for the QB of the future. I want to see both the OL and the coaching staff rebuilt. It might take three years before we are truly ready to invest in a legit young QB prospect, but I'd be willing to pay that price to avoid having to draft a new QB every two or three years.

Wow. What is wrong with firing Tomsula and the rest of the coaching staff, drafting O-linemen and a new QB at the same time?

Because rebuilding the coaching staff and the OLine will be chaotic. A rookie QB will wilt in that environment. Need stability.

So, you are not suggesting to keep Kap for the next 3 years until you are happy with the O-line and coaching staff, are you?!

At more than ~$10mil per year, no. If Kap renegotiates down to what he is worth, then sure. Let him stay and rack up consecutive top 5 draft picks. If he won't take less, we could probably snag a vet in free agency to fill the roster spot.

This makes so much sense, that you might not be welcome back in the zone.

This is exactly why we kept Alex. Place holder for a franchise QB. Unfortunately we thought Kaep was the one.
nobody will take him for 18mil a year. we definitely need to take a 1st round qb tho and i hope its a pocket passer, enough gimmick offenses and disguising weak qbs with a run game. we need a pocket qb with good instincts who can put up 30+ a game until we can rebuild this defense.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we definitely need to take a 1st round qb tho

What does that even mean. Outside of Goff, there really aren't any 1st round caliber QB's in this upcoming draft.

Unless you are arguing for the 49ers to draft the next Christian Ponder or EJ Manuel because they really need a QB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I didn't say Baalke will be doing the drafting. He needs to go too.

Yeah that's not happening. I don't even see Tomsula being fired, I expect them to pull out a few late season wins, just enough to knock them out of contention for a top QB in the draft and enough that they showed "promise", earning Tomsula another year.

This for sure.

Just enough wins to prevent us from getting a top tier guy.

Like last year.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This for sure.

Like last year.

I'm just hopeful that they don't fall out of the Top 8 picks. In that range they can get a franchise left tackle, a top ILB prospect in Jaylon Smith or potentially a gamebreaking WR.
Originally posted by jreff22:
No.

This years draft class will be crap at QB. It's better to rebuild what we need and see what Kap has to offer. If he's still crap, we go after a QB in 2017.

A new OT, OLB, and OG with the possibility of having Davis back puts the OL back at a high functioning unit.

Think about Staly-Boone-Kilgore-Davis/Rookie-Rookie/Davis.

This
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we definitely need to take a 1st round qb tho

What does that even mean. Outside of Goff, there really aren't any 1st round caliber QB's in this upcoming draft.

Unless you are arguing for the 49ers to draft the next Christian Ponder or EJ Manuel because they really need a QB.

Goff isn't a first rounder. He's the best of a bad class. This QB class is 2013 all over again.

This again
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This for sure.

Like last year.

I'm just hopeful that they don't fall out of the Top 8 picks. In that range they can get a franchise left tackle, a top ILB prospect in Jaylon Smith or potentially a gamebreaking WR.

Forget about all these sexy WRs. There is no point the moment Kap is still under center. Is a waste of time.
Only Jared Goff or Connor Cook would even be considered first round picks and that is being generous. Don't know how the Niners are going to fix this problem, but they better look long and hard at all potential solutions.
Somehow, I don't see kap staying around being helpful. He will be a constant reminder of what once could have been. Lack of an OL and a HC who knew no O, did not help kap's cause. I think he needs to go to SEan Peyton, Bellichek, tomlin, Arians, who might get him back on the right track.Staying here, to me anyway, is bad joss for both kap and us.
I'd call up Tampa Bay and see what they want for Mike Glennon. Always liked him. He's got a little Joe Flacco or Nick Foles to him.
Share 49ersWebzone