There are 209 users in the forums

game #4: The Good, Bad, Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This was as much fun as a "Root Canal"

THE GOOD:

The DLine

The D secondary played well – not really good but much better than last 2 weeks.

Mangini – Addressed many issues and improved. BUT the D was on the field wayyyy too long.

Brooks played a good Game

Aaron Lynch played a Very good Game.

AA played well – not great but good

Jimmy Ward covered well for the most part

Patton played well

Torrey Smith did OK

Boldin's blocking

Hyde is a good back and if he had an Oline he's be putting up some good numbers.

THE BAD:

Offensive play calling although a little better than last week still sucks. 3rd and 11 and a run up the middle – that's basically, throwing in the towel.

Kap – not good. Those missed throws are pathetic.

Hyde has almost zero holes to run through

Pinnion - 45 yds on 1st punt 21 on the next, 60 on the 3rd and 37 on the following - WTF!

THE UGLY:

The Oline is NOT a work in progress - the right side including Center are 3 weak links .

It's NOT all on Kap. I really believe if he had time to throw he'd be doing much better.

VANCE – I've been a big supporter and even wanted us to draft him. Missed pass that although high; he should have caught it. The penalty on the block and the almost fumble are adding up to a "Butt-Ugly" He's not part of the solution at this point.

Your Turn!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Don't worry about Pinion. I hear the Lee also struggled his rookie year. By this logic, all teams with proven, probowl caliber, vetrans who happen to struggle their rookie year, should cut them for rookies.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
"It's NOT all on Kap. I really believe if he had time to throw he'd be doing much better."

He has time on some throws but is indecisive, holds the ball to long and ends up taking a sack.
Good:

I know everyone wants to be a negative nancy but the defense played great today. It's too bad we couldn't put up points to make this a game.

Ugly:

Kap and the O-Line... I don't necessarily think it's all on Kap but lets be real we aren't paying him 16-17 mil next year to play like this. We can start Gabbert for a fraction of that and get the same production. Something has to change on the offensive side.
The OL is inexplicable because we're sitting all the guys that played decently for us in preseason and playing the complete garbage instead.

I wonder if politics is happening with some of this. Maybe Wright's comment wasn't so far off base.

Kap was very bad today but it was hardly all on him.

Anyway I do think it's getting close to moving on from Kap. Chip Kelly would probably kill to have him. I'd like to see him go to a team that isn't run by morons.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Oct 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM ]
Good

Defense

Bad + ugly

Offense
Coaching
  • Stud
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This was as much fun as a "Root Canal"

THE GOOD:

The DLine

The D secondary played well – not really good but much better than last 2 weeks.

Mangini – Addressed many issues and improved. BUT the D was on the field wayyyy too long.

Brooks played a good Game

Aaron Lynch played a Very good Game.

AA played well – not great but good

Jimmy Ward covered well for the most part

Patton played well

Torrey Smith did OK

Boldin's blocking

Hyde is a good back and if he had an Oline he's be putting up some good numbers.

THE BAD:

Offensive play calling although a little better than last week still sucks. 3rd and 11 and a run up the middle – that's basically, throwing in the towel.

Kap – not good. Those missed throws are pathetic.

Hyde has almost zero holes to run through

Pinnion - 45 yds on 1st punt 21 on the next, 60 on the 3rd and 37 on the following - WTF!

THE UGLY:

The Oline is NOT a work in progress - the right side including Center are 3 weak links .

It's NOT all on Kap. I really believe if he had time to throw he'd be doing much better.

VANCE – I've been a big supporter and even wanted us to draft him. Missed pass that although high; he should have caught it. The penalty on the block and the almost fumble are adding up to a "Butt-Ugly" He's not part of the solution at this point.

Your Turn!

LOL. You put Kap under Bad but not under Ugly? That was one of the worst displays of QB play I've seen in recent memory.

BTW. Kap had over 10 seconds in the pocket and threw the pick. These excuses for Kap has to stop.
[ Edited by Stud on Oct 4, 2015 at 4:29 PM ]
Just LOVE the remedial offense...I lost track of how many times I saw at least 3 receivers just running 3-4 yd hitch routes, and the only route more than 10 yds is where? That's right, down the sideline. There was some success with receivers coming ACROSS the field with a chance for YAC, so of course immediately go away from that.
Very ugly:

Acker. Man he's having a hell of a time out there. Gets blown up at the line and has very bad ball awareness
Guys weren't getting much separation either. Seriously, they weren't.. almost every play we saw the back end on they were decently covered. I'll probably watch the coaches film for this one later to confirm.

The interception wasn't good but it wasn't awful either - he just missed the throw, we needed a big play and Boldin was open. I'm pretty sure he just threw the ball away on most of those sideline throws as the targets were largely covered and I don't think he trusts his receivers. I don't honestly think anyone trusts anyone on this offense anymore and I think it starts up front. When players are commenting to reporters that the wrong guys are starting on the OL that's a bad thing.

People forget but actually looked quite good against Pittsburgh in spite of the fact they didn't win. He was on target going through his reads and getting the ball out. The regression is bad but I am certain there is so much more going on behind the scenes with this team. It could get incredibly ugly by the time the year is over.

Originally posted by Jcool:
"It's NOT all on Kap. I really believe if he had time to throw he'd be doing much better."

He has time on some throws but is indecisive, holds the ball to long and ends up taking a sack.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Oct 4, 2015 at 4:34 PM ]

I agree, I have a hard time swallowing that he's better than Johnson is.

Originally posted by wailers15:
Very ugly:

Acker. Man he's having a hell of a time out there. Gets blown up at the line and has very bad ball awareness
cant agree more.

However, two good things I have to point our:
1) the defense was lights-out most of the time. We are still talking about the best QB in business with a solid o-line, good RB and shifty WRs.
2) in particular, I liked Ward who showed why he was drafted in round 1.

one bad thing though:
the playcalling sucked at times. As mentioned in the gamethread, we tried to run over the right side way too often. Geep, if you observe a complete fail in the running game, why not dialing up quick throws? Send Torrey deep and two guys across the midfield each, Hyde and/or Bush as a checkdown option or a blitz pickup.
The patton-catch was a very good example of how it can work.
Defense good
Punter bad
Devey and Pears Ugly!
Originally posted by Stud:
LOL. You put Kap under Bad but not under Ugly? That was one of the worst displays of QB play I've seen in recent memory.

BTW. Kap had over 10 seconds in the pocket and threw the pick. These excuses for Kap has to stop.

That pick was basically a punt lol...he was trying to make a damn play these offensive play calls and piss poor oline didn't help...the offense top to bottom is crap.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Very ugly:

He was burnt once, when he lost his footing. That's about it, iirc.
Share 49ersWebzone