LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Do we ever play Dime defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Im not the best X and O guy, but I know I am tired of seeing LBs consistently guard WRs in the slot. I was at the game in Pittsburgh and watched Bryant catch a 30+ yard pass on Wilhoite and then last week Fitzgerald had a day by beating LBs. Why arent we loading up DBs and playing dime on these guys?
We have, but probably not enough. I also want to see more dime with Tartt and Ward on the field. 4 safety stuff like the Cardinals do more than 50% of the time.

Seems like this past game AZ played a lot of 2 TE, sometimes 3 TE. We would matchup in base, then AZ would motion them out to create a spread look, stress our LBs in coverage, and killed us that way.

When we drafted Tartt I expected more sub-packages with the safeties on the field. I think that's the way the league is beginning to trend, and the 49ers should hop on board. Too many explosive passing offenses in this league now. Need hybrid players that can cover and stick their nose in run support.
I thought Tartt would get more playing time, and i think would make a positive impact. especially on 3rd down...but I don't know what the coaching staff is doing?? what ever it is needs to change...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Under Fangio we did but not sure what happened maybe Mangini doesn't have that in his scheme.
Under Fangio we had a wealth of front 7 studs and an average secondary. No reason to take your better players off the field.

I suppose now that Wilhoite and Brooks are starters, we might as well throw extra coverage out there instead.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Under Fangio we had a wealth of front 7 studs and an average secondary. No reason to take your better players off the field.

and yet we did. under fangio against packers we nearly always took willis off for third downs in favor of a db
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Oct 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We have, but probably not enough. I also want to see more dime with Tartt and Ward on the field. 4 safety stuff like the Cardinals do more than 50% of the time.

Seems like this past game AZ played a lot of 2 TE, sometimes 3 TE. We would matchup in base, then AZ would motion them out to create a spread look, stress our LBs in coverage, and killed us that way.

When we drafted Tartt I expected more sub-packages with the safeties on the field. I think that's the way the league is beginning to trend, and the 49ers should hop on board. Too many explosive passing offenses in this league now. Need hybrid players that can cover and stick their nose in run support.

Honestly I don't know much about the draftees, but bear in mind ARZ can do what it does down to pretty much 2 players - Deonne Buchannon and Tyrann Mathieu. Buchannon is listed as an SS but plays a lot as an lb he spent most of last season there because of the dwash suspension and injuries and did surprisingly well, and Mathieu pretty is every where in the backfield. When Mathieu went down a couple of seasons ago the pretty much became less dynamic because we lost that flexibility to move him to cover the slot. It's not an easy thing to replicate.
[ Edited by casualobserver on Oct 3, 2015 at 4:12 AM ]
I present a new type of defence

We will call it

"Making it rain" - like a rapper in a strip club with $100 bills

Send all 11 players directly against the QB on the snap, ignore everyone else
Originally posted by theauviper:

We will call it

Are you Aaron Rodgers agent?
Originally posted by theauviper:

We will call it

We're already playing a similar defense. Instead though, we pretend were going to rush 8, but we only actually rush 5 while the remaining 6 are running around trying to figure out where exactly to go. So its alike in that theres basically no receivers being covered.

Originally posted by Dsoto87:
We're already playing a similar defense. Instead though, we pretend were going to rush 8, but we only actually rush 5 while the remaining 6 are running around trying to figure out where exactly to go. So its alike in that theres basically no receivers being covered.

LOL! Made my morning bright! In a sad, weird way!
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

You know this could work. It's like reverse psychology. OMG they want us to pass to receivers, better run it to be safe.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by Niners99:

and yet we did. under fangio against packers we nearly always took willis off for third downs in favor of a db

Yes....remindsme of the play when Bowman picked of Rogers in the middle of the field to seal it a few years ago.

Whatever they do, get Tartt and Ward out there. If an LB is EVER covering Cobb today its goingto be trouble.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we like to play the spread defense. we spread our ass cheeks and let the offense deep into our endzone.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we like to play the spread defense. we spread our ass cheeks and let the offense deep into our endzone.

Nobody wants to hear about what happened to you last night...
Share 49ersWebzone