LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Gentlemen, I give you the Brett Favre effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Phil-2:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Might want to check out the OL or coaches film thread and rethink that one.

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Tom Brady, Jesus. Would all get sacked to death on this team.

ain't nobody got time for playoffs behind this OL

No they wouldn't. They'd get rid of the ball quicker. And I watched the game, I don't need homer film breakdown to tell me Kaepernick caused those turnovers himself. Blaming the o-line for his weak (overall) game isn't going to work. The regression is clear and it has nothing to do with the o-line much of the time. Not in 2013 and not in 2014. Kaepernick has all the same issues he had coming out of Nevada and this is his 5'th year in the NFL. Accept it. He is who he is. Yes, for Kaepernick to be a good passer we will in fact need the best o-line possible, giving him 3.5 seconds to throw.

Last year, when he took 50+ sacks, what was his average time to throw? How long did the o-line give him on average? He had the third longest time in the NFL at 2.96 seconds. He frequently leaves the pocket when he should be stepping up or scrambling a tad to avoid pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. You step up, keep your eyes downfield, make the throw and take the hit. That's what passing QB's do. Kaepernick is looking for running lanes though. He needs to release the ball quicker, get running off his mind and dedicate to the pass even in a crumbling pocket. That's what Montana would do, that's what Young eventually learned to do.

This is one of the main issues wit Kaepernick. This doesn't come natural to him. He's programmed with a fight or flight response. Fight (pass) or flight (run). We rarely see him stand tall in the pocket and take a hit as he's passing the ball. He's too busy scrambling, looking for running lanes. I think he's also aware of the fact that he passes better on the run. Kaepernicks accuracy from the pocket has always been bad. In fact, he played worse in 2014 with no pressure at all!!! And that's a fact.

Actually the reason he turned the ball over is because he didn't take the sack.

This was the 2nd pick 6. No one was open and no good place to go with the ball. There is no "get rid of it sooner"

A good QB takes the sack and moves on to the next play.
Only problem is if Kap did this the 49ers would give up 15 sacks a game.

This was the 2nd pick 6. No one was open and no good place to go with the ball. There is no "get rid of it sooner"

Cardinals rush 5, we have 7 guys blocking.

Kap gets pressured early still

LOL! I mean this is just comical

edit: I'm rewatching it over and over. Did we really do a pass proteciton that sent RB/FB to block 2 D-Lineman? ahahahaaha
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

notice how Staley says "oh I'll let this guy go so Bruce can take him while I block this air over here"

LOL

No.

[img]http://www.azcardinals.com/assets/images/imported/ARI/photos/WebImages/2015-webimages/MATHIEU-2.jpg[/img]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

No.

[img]http://www.azcardinals.com/assets/images/imported/ARI/photos/WebImages/2015-webimages/MATHIEU-2.jpg[/img]

you do have a concept of time and space right?

first read was left to vernon, covered
when he looks right he has a guy about to sack him because Staley gave up on his block
By that time it was too late to go right
A QB can't be expected to see the entire field in 2 seconds and make the perfect pass with pressure in his face
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

notice how Staley says "oh I'll let this guy go so Bruce can take him while I block this air over here"

LOL

This is some of the worst blocking I've ever seen.
Wait is that Calais Campbell that we decided Bruce Miller would block?
My god, Kaepernick is not Bret Favre. Kaepernick has regressed since 2012, each year becoming less and less effective (garbage time against the Steelers, ya). If we had younger Favre on this team right now I'd see us going to the playoffs this year. With Kaepernick? 6-10 will be likely. If that.

Might want to check out the OL or coaches film thread and rethink that one.

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Tom Brady, Jesus. Would all get sacked to death on this team.

ain't nobody got time for playoffs behind this OL
That takes too long for people. Its easier to simply blame the qb, jed or baalke for every thing that goes on, they arethe only people in the orginization right?

PS: this doesn't mean any of these guys dont dserve some criticism.
I disagree with Kap throws better on the run, cause he doesn't

i think you're confusing him with Russell Wilson.

Kaps throwing on the run has only gotten worse since 2012.

But i do think that this OL is a big reason why he's going back to his old ways due to not having any damn blocking.

Just watch out for B.J. Raji this weekend, and of course clay matthews.
On the first int, I agree with this assessment:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/002/220/629/520d4418020063f53b9400d63facc78a_original.jpg?1443393502

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2572787-struggling-colin-kaepernick-must-show-improvement-for-49ers-to-invest-past-2015

Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
I disagree with Kap throws better on the run, cause he doesn't

i think you're confusing him with Russell Wilson.

Kaps throwing on the run has only gotten worse since 2012.

But i do think that this OL is a big reason why he's going back to his old ways due to not having any damn blocking.

Just watch out for B.J. Raji this weekend, and of course clay matthews.

Kap's PFF grade over 3 seasons- +22.9, +6.2, -10.1.

Anyhow, he has always been better passing outside of the pocket on designed rollouts/bootlegs/playaction etc going back to Nevada and that trend has continued in San Fransisco. He actually played worse at times in 2014 with no pressure from within the pocket. Accuracy suffers. On yards after the catch, his throwing motion/long release/head/shoulders gives away the intended target, it gives defenders time to jump the ball. That's why we have so little YAC. It impacts our redzone offense as well. Forcing us to throw into the endzone, usually to the right side, where touch, arc and anticipation is key. In 2014 he led the league with 32.7% of passes going outside the numbers to the right. He likes rolling out to the right side. Likes passing to the right side in general. Defenses are planning for this now.

In 2013 10 of his ints came from within the pocket. 12 TD's and 1 int from outside the pocket. 80 passer rating from within the pocket, 114 passer rating from outside the pocket. It's generally well known, to beat the 49ers you have to make Kaepernick stay in the pocket and beat you with his arm.

On the sacks, one example here against the Rams:

"Against the 49ers in Week 9, they sacked Kaepernick eight times. Of those eight sacks, Kaepernick should have avoided five, could have avoided one and had no chance on two."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2014/film-room-colin-kaepernick-and-teddy-bridgewater

He took 46 sacks in 2014 when he took over 2.6 seconds to pass. How do you "fix" that? He needs defined reads. A quick choice to either pass or run. He's not going to be a QB who consistently steps up in the pocket, quickly goes through progressions and gets rid of the ball. Our o-line (right side) this year will make that hard as well. Playaction will give him a quick defined read, a quick pass/run option. Screen's to Bush will also help BUT he gives away ball location so YAC is hard to accumulate. Bush can be elusive though so that will help. I think Kap will play better, passing, with Bush in the game. Three step drops will also help. He has to read defenses pre-snap though, and that has been an issue. Throwing with anticipation also tends to be an issue, that's why he holds onto the ball so long at times. We saw this issue manifest in his first pick 6 against the Cards. For a more in depth look:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2572787-struggling-colin-kaepernick-must-show-improvement-for-49ers-to-invest-past-2015

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/002/220/629/520d4418020063f53b9400d63facc78a_original.jpg?1443393502

"Why did Kaepernick hold onto the ball so long and throw from an uncomfortable platform that caused the ball to float? Because he's not an anticipation passer. Kaepernick has never shown off a consistent ability to anticipate routes and release the ball at the right time.

Anquan Boldin is running an out route on this play. He is open, but the defensive back coming from his off alignment means he won't be open for long. Because Kaepernick has to wait to see Boldin come out of his break rather than throw the ball to a spot outside as he enters it, the pass can't be released early.

While this is just one play, it's a play that is indicative of who Kaepernick has been throughout his career."

Alex and Colin started conspiring against us a long time ago.

What hurts worse is the two best current QB's were diehard Niners fans growing up. (Rodgers and Brady)
[ Edited by 9erguy on Sep 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM ]
Nice job fropwns
So Kap is to 2010's Packers what Favre was to 90's 49ers? Sounds good to me.
Great take, fro
Share 49ersWebzone