There are 237 users in the forums

Week 3 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Originally posted by captveg:
Yup...he started questioning everything by then.

He needs to have his Alex Smith 2010 "f**k it" moment. Just go out and play and stop over thinking things. Yes, keep studying each week between games, and yes keep practicing and getting reps. But on game day do what comes natural and just apply that without over thinking it.

That's when he's at his best. He was thinking too much Sunday.

I would like to think that but we took out all the complicated s**t from the playbook. He should be acting on pre snap reads and instinct now.

Here's the thing, I think the complicated stuff was taking out because of this line, not Kap. Why run a long developing play when you can't block more than 2 seconds. Plus and it could just be me, but Kap was pretty darn good the first two games. Had this happen in game 1 and 2, I'll be more alarm.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by captveg:
Yup...he started questioning everything by then.

He needs to have his Alex Smith 2010 "f**k it" moment. Just go out and play and stop over thinking things. Yes, keep studying each week between games, and yes keep practicing and getting reps. But on game day do what comes natural and just apply that without over thinking it.

That's when he's at his best. He was thinking too much Sunday.

I would like to think that but we took out all the complicated s**t from the playbook. He should be acting on pre snap reads and instinct now.

Here's the thing, I think the complicated stuff was taking out because of this line, not Kap. Why run a long developing play when you can't block more than 2 seconds. Plus and it could just be me, but Kap was pretty darn good the first two games. Had this happen in game 1 and 2, I'll be more alarm.

They said in the pre season they did it for him.
Great post Marvin.

1. Keap.
I agree that it's not all his fault. But I am starting to really have my doubts that Kaep can be the QB to lead this team to it's 6th Lombardi. If it's true what Cardinals defenders were saying, that the 49ers offensive play book was noticeably stripped down so much that they knew what was coming, that's a pretty damning reflection on Keap. Every QB throws INT's, and all have days like the one Kaep had yesterday. But if the playbook had to stripped down that much, if opposing teams have us figured this early in the season, this team is in real trouble with Kaep. at the helm - and that's hard for me to say because I've been a real supporter of his.

2. Hyde
Just a victim of his own line.

3. Hayne
Agreed.

4. Bowman
Totally agree. THIS is a reason I had us taking ILB in the draft, and was stunned that we didn't draft one anywhere in the draft. There's no way a player can suffer that kind of injury and not have any effects from it. I knew before the season that teams were going to test his knee, then exploit Bowman's effects of his injury. For me, Bowman's performance is not at all surprising. What's surprising is the fact we didn't address this position in the draft, that we seemed to rely on Bowman returning to form. Given the talent behind him this was simply inexcusable.

5. Mangini
I see now why Fangio simplified the defense, opting to employ a bend-but-don't-break philosophy. Fangio did a really good job of scheming the D-line to force pressure. It seems that Mangini has a scheme that, on paper, is genius. But it's very complicated with a lot of moving parts and causes the defenders to overthink what they're seeing. I'm not so sure these are growing pains. Growing pains imply that there's some growth afoot. I don't see this as growing pains. I see this as a scheme that don't fit.

6. Armstead
Imma say this again, Armstead was a reach in the first. But he's looking really good in rotations right now. I thought, and still think, he should be starting IMHO. Anyone not named QB drafted in the first should be starting and should not need development. But he looked very good yesterday.

7. Chryst
I don't know what to make of him, other than his play calling has been terrible. I think that more hard play action from up under the center (with more runs from under the center) should be employed. Play action from the pistol don't seem to be fooling the defenses. Other than that I cannot tell if this is a matter of Kaep or Geep.

8. O-Line

Personnel? Talk to Baalke about that. We're in serious trouble here. We drafted B. Thomas and T. Brown but we start cast-offs Devey and Pears, who both suck fat ones. I just don't know what gives here. If Thomas and Brown suck then that's on Baalke for wasting draft picks on them. Plus, I cannot see how much worse it can get by starting Thomas and Brown. They're way more talented than the two that's starting there now.

We are just as mess right now, and I don't see by what metric this gets better with the current schemes and personnel.
Share 49ersWebzone