LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Let's Be Real Here

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i liked what you said but they will not fire Tomsula after one season, that may happen if he loses every game from now on.. and i think next change should be Balkee not the HC.. and Kaep... who would you bring in? Cutler? McCown? Mallard? maybe drew brees in the end of his career if he gets cut.. but i think we draft another QB and have him battle out Colin..
Originally posted by kazak13:
i liked what you said but they will not fire Tomsula after one season, that may happen if he loses every game from now on.. and i think next change should be Balkee not the HC.. and Kaep... who would you bring in? Cutler? McCown? Mallard? maybe drew brees in the end of his career if he gets cut.. but i think we draft another QB and have him battle out Colin..

Mallard? Does he play for the University of Oregon by chance?
Originally posted by LarryLestersBuns:
Mallard? Does he play for the University of Oregon by chance?

hehe.
Originally posted by Iupati77:
I am going on 40 years old and have been a 49er fan all of my life. I truly miss the days of Joe and Steve when our quarterback dropped back you had a rush of confidence that a big play or smart play was in the works. A few years back when we beat the Falcons to go back to the Super Bowl for the first time in what seemed like eternity, I wept like a little boys that I may be experiencing another Super Bowl win and my first with my two boys.

Flash forward to today and we need to get real. When you have a quarterback who has now been in the league 4-5 years and you are praying that his work in the off season with a Hall of Famer finally helps his development, when there really has not been any consistent development at all, it scares you. I hate to do it, but look at guy like Rogers. When his team is depleted of talent or hurt due to injury, he steps up even more to guide his franchise. He brings the old Joe and Steve confidence. When Kaepernick drops back, I cross my fingers that he doesn't give it away.

Add to this, the unfortunate losses we have had this past offseason, and the next to nothing we have gotten out of our 2012, 2013, 2014 drafts, and the pit in my stomach gets bigger and bigger. I am frustrated watching teams draft talented players who make an impact right away, like the Seahawks do. I am tired of drafting for two or three years down the road. Draft for NOW! Draft so you talent is oozing and people are fighting to get on the field. Drafting for two or three years down the road does nothing when you are trying to win now. Drafting this way does not put a sense of urgency or an ounce of confidence into your fan base.

I like Tomsula, I really do. But, he is a position coach, not head coach material. Does he think by saying that it is all on him, that we are supposed to say ok. No problem. Yes, it is on him, but it is on Baalke too, as well as the players on the field. I want an offensive line that dominates. I want a quarterback that does what a well versed QB does. With this, we can overcompensate for a team that has lost so much talent on D. But instead, we hold our breathe on a QB that has not developed one bit. He has all of the athleticism, but doesn't have it between the ears.

Jed, I was so proud of you when you hired Harbaugh. Finally we had a name and presence. However, I do agree it was time to move on from him (didn't like the way you handled it). We have become a laughing stock. A team with our history (your family history with Eddie) should not become a laughing stock.

So, let's get real. Cut Kaepernick loose after this year or trade him. Use the money to sign a talented o-line and shutdown corner. Draft a real QB, let Gabbert play to give year of development to the new QB, and draft Defense. Fire Tomsula and staff at year end and bring in someone with a presence (Like and Ariens).

Please Jed, put your ego aside. Move on from Tomsula, Kaepernick, and Baalke. Blow it up now. Use your cap resources, bring in the presence, and please give my kids the chance to experience a winner like I did as a kid and you did as a kid.

This post is misguided in so many ways.

First of all, Aaron Rodgers is going to go down as one of the 10 best QB's to ever play. So was Montana, and so was Young. Those guys dont grow on trees. The feeling of confidence you are longing for comes from having an all time GREAT running the offense. Thats not a realistic goal or standard to hold your QB to.

Jim Tomsula was a position coach, but you cant judge who he is as an NFL head coach off of 3 games, especially with a roster this young. Thats ridiculous.

Colin Kaepernick has been a starting NFL QB for 2.5 seasons. Not 5. And during his time under Harbaugh, we found out that he was not given healthy advice or coaching to progress properly as a passer. Harbaugh ran the offense, and disallowed most anything Kap couldve done to think for himself. Harbaugh was the QB of the 49ers, not Kap. Harbaugh was the leader and captain, and Kap sat off to the side, when he should have been given the leadership reigns early on.

Jim Harbaugh was aloof and distant from the front office. He wasnt a team player. He created a disconnect because of his arrogance. It was Harbaugh who created the cancer that killed the 49ers, not Baalke, and not even York. Harbaugh wanted to do everything his way, and be left alone. That had a shelf life, and it finally expired.

Your kids are likely NEVER going to witness what you did. The dynasty run the 49ers went on from 1981-1998 was a one-of-a-kind period of history. Were not going to draft another Joe Montana, and then follow his career up with a Steve Young. Were not going to find another Jerry Rice. Trying to compare and critique the current regime to that era is an impossible thing to live up to. You cant win the lottery, and then expect to win it again. Appreciate it for the special run it was, and accept that its not something we can re-create.

We had a nice run under Harbaugh, but we just couldnt get it done in the window we were given. The guys who made up that roster got old. Some retired, some were no longer worth the price tag at that age, and some were just so idiotic that they ran out of chances. We are now gathering up the parts we have left, and re-stocking the pond with young guys, but its going to take a couple years to get back up to contender again. This is not going to be a season where we contend for a title. Were just too young.

We have Tank, Armstead, Dial, Lynch, Harold, Johnson, Acker, Reaser, Ward, Tartt, Hyde, Bell, Thomas, Brown, Ellington, etc., ALL in their first 1-2 years in the NFL. There will be several pro bowlers coming out of that group, but they arent there yet.

We just played 2 of the best teams in the NFL on the road. The growing pains arent going to look pretty at times, but people need to stop overreacting.

Baalke and Paraag have done a masterful job creating and maintaining cap space, and accumulating draft picks to keep this team stocked with talent at all positions. How soon people forget salary cap hell with Terry Donahue. The transition period between coaching staffs is always rough.

Nobody seems to be on board with Kap anymore, but until I see an entire season of him displaying no progress from last season, im not going to call him a bust. Its one bad game. Steve Young didnt become the full time starting QB for the 49ers until he was 31 years old. Tampa Bay gave up on him for similar reasons why people are down on Kap. Im not saying Kap is Steve Young, but you have to be more patient.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:54 AM ]
This is a very young team. I would give the most promising young players plenty of match play this season and ignore the hysterical screams from those who want everyone sacked or cut.

The 2nd half of the season always looked friendlier than the first half. With Kilgore back game 6, it is too early to overreact. Stabilise this O line and suddenly everything starts to look different.
Originally posted by English:
This is a very young team. I would give the most promising young players plenty of match play this season and ignore the hysterical screams from those who want everyone sacked or cut.

The 2nd half of the season always looked friendlier than the first half. With Kilgore back game 6, it is too early to overreact. Stabilise this O line and suddenly everything starts to look different.

A sane and reasonable post. We need more of these.

Kilgore coming back will be a BIG deal. He played at a very high level at C before he got hurt last year. Marcus Martin is horrible. If hes going to play like crap, hide him at RG, where at least he cant screw up the snap.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I am sure every fan of every team would love a HOF caliber QB playing for their franchise. Those types of players are far and few between however which is why people appreciate their performances even more.

The idea that you can dump a guy like Kaepernick and find a HOF quality guy or even All-Pro quality guy like its nothing is kind of silly.

Teams with great QBs tend to hold on to them, everyone else fights over scraps and guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Luke McCown.

Drafting a QB early isnt a guarantee of anything either. How many 1st round QBs from recent drafts have been complete disappointments?

I think for the time being, Kaepernick is just the best option. Cutting ties with him without a realistic replacement solution in place is like cutting off your own nose to spite your face. The absolute worst thing this team could do is to draft a rookie and just throw them to the wolves, wasting a high draft pick and another QBs development at the same time.
Totally agree. However, we do need to draft the best QB (not the most hyped QB) that we can get our hands on, let him sit for a season to develop him, and let Kaep walk the next season. I'm even all for trading Kaep to get better production from that position. We do need to move on from Kaep, but we need to do it smartly. Stability at the QB position is a very hard, expensive thing to nail down.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Totally agree. However, we do need to draft the best QB (not the most hyped QB) that we can get our hands on, let him sit for a season to develop him, and let Kaep walk the next season. I'm even all for trading Kaep to get better production from that position. We do need to move on from Kaep, but we need to do it smartly. Stability at the QB position is a very hard, expensive thing to nail down.

I doubt this coaching staff can develop a QB properly.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I doubt this coaching staff can develop a QB properly.

we need a coaching staff that can develop a coaching staff

we need more teachers
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Its easy to say blow it up, where you going to find a great coach and a great QB

The Cards game was the only time I can recall waking away from a game. After the safety I turned the channel and started doing something else to take my mind away from football. The image of this franchise is getting smeared and it's difficult to watch. Harbaugh brought us some success and now it looks like we're right back where we were as perrinial losers fighting for top draft selections.

Jed and Baalke let their egos convince them they could succeed without Harbaugh, Shannahan, Gase, or any other high profile coach. They're making the organization look silly for their gamble and as a fan it's difficult to get behind this team.

I know we should support the team regardless, but when it feel like the brass is sabatoshing success because of their pride, it stings. The only situation worse in the league is Chicago's. I can't even imagine being a Bears fan and seeing them trade away Bostic and Jared Allen. They threw in the towel already. I'm afraid our players are going to do the same. They visibly quit on Sunday. There was minimal effort on so many plays. They just quit fighting and we're goin through the motions.
Originally posted by MikeD:
Its easy to say blow it up, where you going to find a great coach and a great QB

The same place they are going to find a GM to replace Baalke. In their imagination. These guys are not just sitting around out there. Way easier to call out for everyone to be sacked than to present a reasonable, realistic and doable alternative.
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
The same place they are going to find a GM to replace Baalke. In their imagination. These guys are not just sitting around out there. Way easier to call out for everyone to be sacked than to present a reasonable, realistic and doable alternative.

Exactly. Give everyone a chance. I know the losses were terrible, but they are still just 1-2. Everyones acting like the seasons over already
Eli Manning has a 5 pick game at least once a year. I'd be holding off the end the Kaepernick era at this point. Wait until we see how the season plays out.
Originally posted by eastie:
Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge...

Or maybe its called having an opinion on a discussion forum. Some of us recall dumping a coach(Mooch) and bringing in someone that had no business replacing him. My opinion on JT when he was hired was that he was unqualified and I still believe that. I hope he proves me wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone