There are 242 users in the forums

Should Kap still be the 9ers franchise QB going forward?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Kap still be the 9ers franchise QB going forward?

At this point I'd move him for anything we can get and take our chances on something/someone else. Doesn't even have to be a first rounder TBH.
Of course he should still be our franchise QB. It doesn't matter who plays QB with the O-line we have now. It would be a miracle if ANY QB was successful behind this line. Kaep is still a very good QB. He creates many problems for any defense (when he has an o-line that can block) . It's a shame that now that there is genuine speed on the outside, the line can't hold their blocks long enough for the team to utilize it. Fix the line, and Kaep will become much better right away...
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Could be....I don't think his incable though and I doubt they'd give him a good contract if they thought all they could get is a watered down offense from him.

Honestly I don't think we have the right coaching staff IMO...we've seen plenty of games where Kap was the only player doing anything on offense.

How much of those games where everyone else do you think were due to kaps weaknesses as a qb? What I mean is Torrey smith has literally done nothing for us this year? He was a very promising deep threat for the ravens before... Do you think he just magically got worse?

I am of the personal opinion kapernick makes the players worse around him in the same way brady and rogers make the players around them better.

I think kapernick is great at running. Hell we should have designed qb runs half of our plays and the team would probably be pretty good until he got hurt. He has torched teams who cant figure out how to stop his running. I just feel his slow throwing motion and lack of touch make him sub par compared to even the average quarterback. He played his best football when we had him sub in for 5 plays a game behind alex. We should have kept doing this.

In addition to this I dont see him as very clutch or have very good football IQ. We have seen this multiple times most notably throwing into double coverage in the superbowl. He should have audibled the play even if the coaches wanted him to run it. He just does not seem to have a very good knowledge of the game on his own.

Heres an example of football IQ from another qb I would consider average but more clutch than kap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueNKkKvBAo

Kap could never have the awareness to pull off a play like that...

I just dont see it ever clicking with him from a mental standpoint. Even Vick looked better than kap last night and thats saying something.

What about the first two games of the year? He did everything asked of him and played well...he has the worst game of his career last week and now he's regarded as a really bad QB that makes players around him worse? Just stop. We've seen him make plays when no one else was doing jack, we've seen him be clutch and win in the playoffs but he has his 1st 4 INT game and now he's straight s**t.

I've seen plenty of games where Torrey smith disappeared and I believe he did just have a 100 yards an a TDs in week two? Oh and Vick is a 15 year vet with a better HC/OC and a better line he should look better.

I'm not saying Kap is the answer to everything or is a top 5 QB but he's far from the worst QB in the league and isn't the sole reason for them being 1-2 right now...
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
At this point I'd move him for anything we can get and take our chances on something/someone else. Doesn't even have to be a first rounder TBH.

Hahaha you zoners are so ridiculous he has a poor game and you want to trade him for a bag of chips! He played well the first two weeks man....it's so week to week here it makes me sick. No QB is gonna play good behind that crap line.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Like I said the offensive scheme is running the ball and controlling the clock not gonna see a QB "light it up" under that philosophy...if that's what you want to see go be a colts or packers fan because it's not gonna happen as long as Baalke and JT are here.

JT for sure. Don't know if that's true with Baalke otherwise why was he interviewing Gase?

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Like I said the offensive scheme is running the ball and controlling the clock not gonna see a QB "light it up" under that philosophy...if that's what you want to see go be a colts or packers fan because it's not gonna happen as long as Baalke and JT are here.

JT for sure. Don't know if that's true with Baalke otherwise why was he interviewing Gase?

I wanted Gase no doubt! Baalke has talked about wanting to run the ball more when they were looking for a HC, Gase actually ran a pretty good running game the last couple years in Denver.
With a first time NFL head coach. An offensive coordinator who hasn't called plays in what? forever? A defensive coordinator who was out of coaching, then coaching TE's on offense (and poorly) is no help to keep him in games so he's not fighting from behind.So it's hard to tell. Right now everyone on the team looks bad. Forgetting the Vikings game, Hyde, Bowman,Staley Reid, Bethea, and on and on have all looked terrible. It starts at the top and York and Balke have failed this team. Drafting a punter in the 5th round when you have a pro bowl punter? Not preparing for Cowboys eventual retirement except for "project injured players" and finally this year he drafts a first rounder who is healthy? Willis hasn't played a full season in a couple of years and Bowman is coming off of injury so he doesn't pick up a LB but he drafts a punter? They go comfy with a nobody coach from nowhere who puts together the only connections he has in the entire NFL, (from this team) and he chooses the worst of the bunch and a QB coach who hasn't been in the NFL for a while.
So to answer the question Kap is a victim as much as Bowman and the rest of the team so YES he should be until a competent staff proves he can't be.
Originally posted by Sourball:
With a first time NFL head coach. An offensive coordinator who hasn't called plays in what? forever? A defensive coordinator who was out of coaching, then coaching TE's on offense (and poorly) is no help to keep him in games so he's not fighting from behind.So it's hard to tell. Right now everyone on the team looks bad. Forgetting the Vikings game, Hyde, Bowman,Staley Reid, Bethea, and on and on have all looked terrible. It starts at the top and York and Balke have failed this team. Drafting a punter in the 5th round when you have a pro bowl punter? Not preparing for Cowboys eventual retirement except for "project injured players" and finally this year he drafts a first rounder who is healthy? Willis hasn't played a full season in a couple of years and Bowman is coming off of injury so he doesn't pick up a LB but he drafts a punter? They go comfy with a nobody coach from nowhere who puts together the only connections he has in the entire NFL, (from this team) and he chooses the worst of the bunch and a QB coach who hasn't been in the NFL for a while.
So to answer the question Kap is a victim as much as Bowman and the rest of the team so YES he should be until a competent staff proves he can't be.

Baalke should go after not addressing the OL and LB positions, but instead beefing up the punter position. I just wish him and Jed could go.
Get this guy a legit OLine before you start talking some BS like this. Good thing Kaep is tough. Other QBs would be out for the season after a few hits I've seen on Kaep. Protect this guy!
[ Edited by prime21 on Oct 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM ]
Yes - he should be our guy moving forward.

Maybe he needs a "Steve Young" moment and be taken out of a game as a wake up call???
He needs to snort cocaine before matches to improve the speed of his decision making. That's his biggest flaw imo, he's basically the worst possible qb to accompany a bad o-line.

Kap is the type of qb who goes off, has a mediocre game or implodes. The good thing is he hardly implodes. I would love to see what he can do with a decent oline and a viable oc.
draft linemen with the first 3 picks this year and any qb will be good. its not kaps fault if he barely has a second to breathe back there before having to run or get smashed. that said, kap's awareness is still mediocre at best, he doesnt get rid of the ball instead of taking sacks and losing yards and he misses too many receivers. is he a good qb? hes not horrible but hes probably middle of the pack i would say just based on his athleticism and the problems it creates. he hasnt really had a great mentor since hes been here tho. he had alex for half a year and then he was shipped out. for 18 mil a year he wont be here next year unless he restructures or starts beasting every week to salvage this season. im hoping hes under contract for 18mil by next year but to do that he has to put the team on his back and get us some W's. it kinda sucks but i think thats the situation hes in this year, hopefully he can do it

Pfff id give him to the jaguars for Julius Thomas and then draft a QB round 1 next year, WR in the 2nd, Then all Olineman, and Defense after that.

Aint no well in hell the jaguars wouldnt take that deal and its a amazing deal for us since we are gonna be drafting 1:1
problem with Kaepernick he has a mental problem that doesn't allow his muscle memory, body mechanics to perform under pressure. and when his confidence diminishes it just makes it worse and compounds his problem. When you see him throw down field to a receiver and misses by 7 or 8 yards inside it is, just like a pitcher in baseball, he has lost his release point, players like steve sax had to retire from baseball because he lost his ability to throw the ball from his 2nd base position to first, they named a medical condition after him and called it the Steve Sax syndrome and I know it for a fact because I had the same condiition and it is a debilitating condition, tennis players have had it, greg norman, the great aussie golfer had it. He has all of the classic symptoms and Kaepernick doesn't know there is a name to what he's got, it simply means his best throws are behind him with no touch or feel for the game left. The only time he can possibly make a good throw is when he throws the ball as hard as he can, bypassing muscle memory with the sheer force of his throw, it's kind of a f#@$ it throw, everybody can pooh pooh this but in the end it won't matter, and its a shame because he started out with so much promise before it spiraled down out of control, not one person has read what I write about this and said, wow, you might be on to something, doesn't matter what other people think because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I am right, but I wish I wasn't. I can site a bunch of examples
[ Edited by keithhr on Oct 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by SundayTicket:

Pfff id give him to the jaguars for Julius Thomas and then draft a QB round 1 next year, WR in the 2nd, Then all Olineman, and Defense after that.

Aint no well in hell the jaguars wouldnt take that deal and its a amazing deal for us since we are gonna be drafting 1:1

Hahaha Thomas is injuried and getting pay wayyyyy too much cash I'm guessing your joking
Share 49ersWebzone