LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Coaches

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Dudes, we got the LEFTOVERS. Nobody wanted to come here especially when they see the Dorks Jeb and Baalke fire a WINNING COACH?

I agree. These two fools were trying to spin it, but most knew that reality would eventually hit them hard.
Meanwhile, a season lost.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Our Offensive and Defensive coordinates were not the first choice from what I've read and understand. I believe coach T was but not many were happy with it. I think we have enough talent not to get blown out two games in a row. I do believe our coaching sucks all across the board. But some were happy with coaches that couldn't find a job else ware

Full disclosure...I was (am) a Harbaugh guy...wanted him when he was at Stanford and did not want him to leave. That said, I also believe Baalke is a good GM, so I wanted them to get along but understood Harbaugh is not the easiest person to get along with. When it became obvious he was going to be let go after last season and the coaching "search" ensued and ended with the 49ers on the brink of naming Gase but having that fall apart because Gase wanted to pick his own DC And would not take Tomsula on as his DC, I was willing to give the 49ers the benefit of the doubt that they knew more than I did and Baalke and York had, at least in the short term, picked the right coach with Harbaugh 4 years earlier. I was skeptical as Tomsula had to pull up coaches from his days in NFL Europe and have coaches in positions that they may not have been able to get with any other team, but, again, I trusted the 49ers knew what they were doing.

Whatever this season might have been has been complicated by the sudden, unexpected retirements and/or loss of players. Nonetheless, this was the 49ers plan and no one said they intended to rebuild. Everything they told us was that it was going to be better because Harbaugh being difficult to deal with was the real problem. So, now that we are here...my hopes for the season are exactly what they were the day Tomsula was named as HC...Either....

(1) The 49ers turn out to be right and the 2015 49ers improve under Tomsula. Given the player losses, I'm willing to call it a success if they're around 8-8, playing their best football at the end of the year, the young players are showing promise and improvement, Kaep has progressed. So, essentially, the boat has at least been steadied with the arrow clearly pointing up....or...

(2) It's a complete train wreck, grease fire of Dennis Erickson proportions...either they have to be surprisingly good, showing Tomsula can be a good HC or they need to be monumentally bad to show how flawed the post-Harbaugh plan was and the need to scrap it immediately. If its not going to be (1), it needs to be historically bad to force a significant change in the approach (which might include Baalke leaving).

Anything in between (1) and (2) is just prolonging the agony for another year or two.
I think if this season continues to to implode...we should fire JT and Baalke. Hire Sean Payton (probably last year in NOLA) and a well known GM
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I think if this season continues to to implode...we should fire JT and Baalke. Hire Sean Payton (probably last year in NOLA) and a well known GM

Hey, this might not be as crazy as it sounds. I think Sean Payton could well become available at the end of this season. He needs to go to a new place to reboot. Everything is stale right now in NO, he has tried high powered offense, he has tried to run the ball more, nothing works for the Saints.
Is this the right thread for throwing out names of coaches we would like to be candidates for new coach next year? Well just in case it is I am going to throw in a name.

Art Briles - Baylor.
If I'm just throwing out a name for a potential head coach, I'd say Kyle Shanahan. The offense in Atlanta looks good right now with him at the helm.
Kyle Shanahan would be an interesting choice. I like Hugh Jackson personally. I expect Tomsula to last beyond the season though. Right or wrong.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Oct 16, 2015 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Kyle Shanahan would be an interesting choice. I like Hugh Jackson personally. I expect Tomsula to last beyond the season though. Right or wrong.

I hope you are WRONG. Tomsula is a hot mess as a Head Coach. He's not qualified.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I hope you are WRONG. Tomsula is a hot mess as a Head Coach. He's not qualified.

I'm underwhelmed by him so far as well. Depends on how the team finishes what happens to him, but I see the Yorks going cheap with this decision given the circumstances. They'll have some justification for his performance even though anyone can see that the game plans and personnel decisions have been questionable at best. If they plan on sticking with Baalke long term I can see them also using him to get another high pick in the future while we seriously reload our talent levels. It's not like the team is seriously lacking in talent currently as is. Not ideal but a better coaching staff could probably get quite a bit more out of them - especially on defense.
These coaches may be "qualified" - knowledge, game planning, etc - but that is only 50% of the job. A HC (leader) and his top lieutenants (OC and DC) have to establish an ethos where players hold themselves to an almost impossibly high standard of performance for their coaches and teammates at the NFL level. This is why "players coaches" rarely succeed.

That is the hardest thing to create and it is created in different ways by different coaches. The players don't have to like the coach per se, but they have to deeply desire to perform and not them them down. In many cases this has been compared to a "hard father" figure - you may not like them, but you absolutely dread letting them down. Walsh was not "liked" by players - Tom Landry was not "liked" - Parcels was not liked - it goes on and on and on. Pete Carroll has one likeable persona, but he is also super competitive and hard on his players to perform. JH was kinda liked - and guys for 4 years would run through a wall for him - then it seemed to wear them out.

The irony is that MANY players that didn't like playing for above coaches - or maybe had falling outs with them - later say they "loved him like a father" after he or they left the team.

With all the blown assignments and less than stellar performances - the players may like Tomsula - maybe they like Chryst - but at this point it looks like they don't fear letting them down. Mangini is rumored to not be that "likeable" - but he has also never gotten players to perform at the highest level.

Share 49ersWebzone