LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 196 users in the forums

Week 2 Pittsburg Steelers coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Thanks, as always, for the analysis. You mentioned Antonio Brown running past our CBs and expressed some concern about being able to stop top-tier receivers. I'm curious what happened on the long touchdown to Heyward-Bey (someone I don't consider a top-tier receiver by any means...just a guy with speed). Did he flat-out beat his man? Or did we shift our coverage to try to account for Brown, leaving a weakness elsewhere on the field?

Going off memory, I put this on Brock as well as Bethea. Brock did a poor job with his re-direct as he passes off coverage to Bethea. As the CB, Brock needs to impede the path of the WR. Instead, Brock gave a half ass pat to DHB's shoulder which does nothing to slow down DHB's momentum. With a WR coming full speed at Bethea, Bethea was behind the 8ball and lost.
I'll breakdown that play in a hour or so, Pitt caught us napping on a no-huddle play and both Brock and Bethea got flat out-ran. It was frustrating to watch. Plus, Ben led his receiver away from the defenders on his deep throw, so it made them look even further out of position.

Thanks a lot, fellas. That sounds very disappointing...two of the top guys in our secondary getting smoked by someone who is generally considered a bust. Can't wait for the breakdown.
[ Edited by VinculumJuris on Sep 22, 2015 at 12:56 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's the first big chunk play of the game. 28 yd pass to A. Brown. 3rd and 7

here, we're going to run this odd version of cover-2 that we ran against Minn. You might remember this defense. We're going to play man-coverage underneath with 3 deep zone defenders. Pitt is expecting a blitz, so they keep both a TE and RB to help protect. We will drop 7 into coverage against 3 receivers, no way should they get anything on us. One key here is, Reid is playing very up close to the LOS to try and help sell this all out-blitz look.

At the snap you see Tartt fire out deep, same with Reid. Bowman is just clued in on the RB, he's not coming on a blitz. It's a 4 man rush, including: Lynch, Wilhoite, Carradine, and Brooks. And Wilhoite is only coming because the TE stayed in to block. So, Mangini was trying to call a 3 man rush with 8 in coverage.

You see Reid is trying to make it back for over-the-top help. Acker is in really good position, however, he tries to guess the route from the WR and thinks Brown is going to do a comeback route and stutters for just a half second.

he quickly realizes Brown is just running a "go" route and tries to recover, but you see the separation he already allowed.

It creates just enough of a hole to drop the ball right in, that's a really, really good throw by a QB. However, that's what the elite guys do.

Reid gets there just .1 seconds too late. Also a good job by Brown to hang on to the ball.

Here you see how we tried to show heavy pressure.

You see the 4 man rush and how Pitt kept the TE and RB in to block. 7-4 blocking.
Nice illustration of how the pressure front got PIT to call max protect then just rush 4.
I had some pics to show on this play and wanted to add on a bit, while focusing on ABrown.

pic1: Acker aligned in press with half a step inside shading.
pic2: Brown squares up to Acker to give the threat that Brown may break inside or outside.
pic3: Brown breaks to the outside and as Acker goes for the jam, Brown swim moves while getting his left arm on Acker's outside shoulder. Brown throws his right shoulder back so that Acker doesn't get good contact. All very fluid.
pic4: This is the main keyframe. Notice Brown dipping his shoulder. This is no different than an edge pass rusher dipping his shoulder to gain the edge, body positioning, and getting around an offensive tackle.
pic5: Brown finishes Acker off with an arm bar.

It doesn't help that Reid takes a curved path to the ball (blue). It's not that Reid should know where the ball is thrown to. It's that he could have done better finding the point of intersection as he meets Brown along the sideline. It's knowing his speed and how it compares to Brown's speed. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Vital in safety play. Still early in the game so it's understandable that Reid has yet to gauge Brown's speed. This is the first time they've met. But on this play, that was the difference.

Notice how quickly Brown gets separation.

Perfect illustration on poor press technique and an even better illustration on how to defeat press. This is where Jerry Rice made a living; defeating press within the first three steps. Acker is defeated on the second move here. Press is an art and while size and strength (Johnson) can help a lot, it's really the technique that is critical here...right at the LOS.

As much as I cringe watching this, now there is GREAT film for all of our CB's to learn from. I can't wait to see if they've learned from this.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Perfect illustration on poor press technique and an even better illustration on how to defeat press. This is where Jerry Rice made a living; defeating press within the first three steps. Brock is defeated on the second move here. Press is an art and while size and strength (Johnson) can help a lot, it's really the technique that is critical here...right at the LOS.

As much as I cringe watching this, now there is GREAT film for all of our CB's to learn from. I can't wait to see if they've learned from this.

That's Acker, and he was essentially already beat off the LOS like he was pretty much most of the game.
Thanks a lot, fellas. That sounds very disappointing...two of the top guys in our secondary getting smoked by someone who is generally considered a bust. Can't wait for the breakdown.

He may be a bust but he's still got legit speed, if you let him run right through the coverage, he can toast you....assuming he holds on to the football.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
That's Acker, and he was essentially already beat off the LOS like he was pretty much most of the game.

Thanks...didn't look close enough (I'll edit). It was also in the back of my mind that Brock got beat as well in press a few times too (IIRC).
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He may be a bust but he's still got legit speed, if you let him run right through the coverage, he can toast you....assuming he holds on to the football.

Yeah....legit 4.3 guys are a pain regardless if they've lived up to their draft position. We don't have that speed in our secondary.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Perfect illustration on poor press technique and an even better illustration on how to defeat press. This is where Jerry Rice made a living; defeating press within the first three steps. Brock is defeated on the second move here. Press is an art and while size and strength (Johnson) can help a lot, it's really the technique that is critical here...right at the LOS.

That is good coaching. A big reason why Pittsburgh has had so much success with their WR's. Randy Fichtner who is their QB's coach and someone I really wanted as OC with the 49ers, was formerly the WR coach and helped to tutor up guys like Wallace and Brown. Richard Mann took over when he got bumped up to QB coach and has kept it going.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Yeah....legit 4.3 guys are a pain regardless if they've lived up to their draft position. We don't have that speed in our secondary.

Seattle doesn't have that speed either in their secondary other than Thomas. The key is to get a bump on these guys, pass them off appropriately to the safeties which this team really struggled with.
  • thl408
It's been awhile since the 49ers have completed a pass on a Deep Curl route. Only a WR with speed is going to get this done and this is the first completed pass to Torrey, as a 49er, that puts his deep speed threat on display.

The colors mean nothing. Just to differentiate between the routes.
Torrey running a Deep curl (yellow) versus a CB giving him cushion. Torrey needs to quickly eat up that cushion, and as soon as the CB flips his hips to turn upfield, curl the route.
Hyde with a nice blitz pickup (black)
versus Cover1 blitz

CB turns to run upfield, Torrey starts his curl, Kap already mid windup.

+14 yards.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
thl, what did you think of Kap's performance? He really seemed to come on late in the game.

Seattle doesn't have that speed either in their secondary other than Thomas. The key is to get a bump on these guys, pass them off appropriately to the safeties which this team really struggled with.

That's very true...I'm also envious of the the pass rush they can generate with 4 guys, that also covers up a lot of ills in the secondary.
  • thl408
Guys, I snipped the slow mo GIF of Acker vs Brown and replaced it with pictures. That was a very large gif.

They get to square up, jam them and then subsequently hold and mug them down the field. Someone should do some gifs of Dick and Carry last game just so you can see how much b******t they get away with compared to the rest of the NFL who tries to play within the rules. They had ONE holding call all night long. Unbelievable.
It's been awhile since the 49ers have completed a pass on a Deep Curl route. Only a WR with speed is going to get this done and this is the first completed pass to Torrey, as a 49er, that puts his deep speed threat on display.

The colors mean nothing. Just to differentiate between the routes.
Torrey running a Deep curl (yellow) versus a CB giving him cushion. Torrey needs to quickly eat up that cushion, and as soon as the CB flips his hips to turn upfield, curl the route.
Hyde with a nice blitz pickup (black)
versus Cover1 blitz

CB turns to run upfield, Torrey starts his curl, Kap already mid windup.

]

Like the triangle formed on the concept side. Nice rope by kap and you are dead on about needing speed to get the deep curls.
Share 49ersWebzone