There are 167 users in the forums

Week 2 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
I understood the desire for to get the ground game going. That seems like the bread and butter for the 49ers. But they had to know that PIT was going to key the run in a big way after seeing what Hyde did to the Vikings. So it's safe to say that the 49ers already had the run game established before their first offensive snap. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the 49ers could have come out slinging it around using playaction. That doesn't fix the real problem yesterday though.

The defensive game plan was garbage. I would have put the onus on the front 7 to do its job versus DeAngelo Williams, and put two safeties back at all times. Force the dink and dunk game. It might have been a slow death, but watching DHB and ABrown catch nearly every single long bomb was frustrating. Although PIT capitalized on every deep throw, they did have to methodically move down the field on a drive or two so maybe this was done and I couldn't see it.

About putting the safeties up at the line of scrimmage at the snap, then having them run back to the deep zone. When a standard 4 man rush can't get pressure, try to confuse the protection scheme so that perhaps there's a free rusher at the QB. We saw the downside as the safeties couldn't get back quickly enough to help the CBs. Should have just double covered ABrown all the time, who cares if it's obvious. Force DHB/Wheaton/TEs to beat them. To say the defense was swiss cheese is inaccurate because even swiss cheese has some parts where there are no holes. Ben averaged a ridiculous 13+ yards per attempt.

The two bright spots is the fight from the team in the 2nd half, and Kap. He was quick to take what was given and showed good accuracy when given time.

That was really shocking.
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:
They have to sort out this RB depth chart thingy ASAP,Hyde won't make it to week 5 with this workload sadly.

As much as I like Hayne, he just is not an NFL-level RB (yet). He's too slow/hesitant getting through the hole...and don't confuse patience to let the blocks set up with just being slow. Too bad that Hunter ended up being the odd man out, even though he was only "okay" in preseason, still think he could've brought a nice change of pace to the table.

Reggie Bush is good for a couple games until the next injury...Davis, I dunno, nothing about him stands out to me...not that he's bad, just not overly-impressive either.
But if Hayne is going to be allowed OJT, then seemed like yesterday would've been a good day for it.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:28 AM ]
so after a win in week 1 temper everything
after a loss in week 2 you've got all the answers you needed?
lol
Originally posted by lamontb:
I understood the desire for to get the ground game going. That seems like the bread and butter for the 49ers. But they had to know that PIT was going to key the run in a big way after seeing what Hyde did to the Vikings. So it's safe to say that the 49ers already had the run game established before their first offensive snap. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the 49ers could have come out slinging it around using playaction. That doesn't fix the real problem yesterday though.

The defensive game plan was garbage. I would have put the onus on the front 7 to do its job versus DeAngelo Williams, and put two safeties back at all times. Force the dink and dunk game. It might have been a slow death, but watching DHB and ABrown catch nearly every single long bomb was frustrating. Although PIT capitalized on every deep throw, they did have to methodically move down the field on a drive or two so maybe this was done and I couldn't see it.

About putting the safeties up at the line of scrimmage at the snap, then having them run back to the deep zone. When a standard 4 man rush can't get pressure, try to confuse the protection scheme so that perhaps there's a free rusher at the QB. We saw the downside as the safeties couldn't get back quickly enough to help the CBs. Should have just double covered ABrown all the time, who cares if it's obvious. Force DHB/Wheaton/TEs to beat them. To say the defense was swiss cheese is inaccurate because even swiss cheese has some parts where there are no holes. Ben averaged a ridiculous 13+ yards per attempt.

The two bright spots is the fight from the team in the 2nd half, and Kap. He was quick to take what was given and showed good accuracy when given time.

yup sometimes just mess with the front and not the back end. steelers max protected and then took deep shots.
just double cover the best wr in the nfl and force everyone else to beat you
Originally posted by All22:
Neither does Ward... I'd like to see Ward and Reid swap positions.

Yes--This to me is what is missing.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the RBs aren't the ones to blame here, we couldn't get our running game going because the defense kept giving points after points.. Barry, Bo and Jim Brown in their best years couldn't helped out on offense yesterday..,

The better team with the veteran coaching staff won yesterday, plain and simple..
Coaching and the game plans put together by the coaching staff sums up this game..just wow

we came out w/ the same exact defense and blitz schemes that we used on teddy and that pathetic offense and tried to use them on big ben and this prolific offense...that's ridiculously stupid

on top of that we also came out and ran power formations and passed from power formations against this crappy pittsburgh secondary....

we have a coaching problem

that was my main fear about this team...the talent is there but the coaches are the question mark and they let the team down on sundaythat was terrible game plans on both sides of the ball

steelers were in max protect and we continued to blitz instead of dropping everyone back and steelers were selling out to stop the run and we didn't use torrey smith until it was too late
Originally posted by 9moon:
the RBs aren't the ones to blame here, we couldn't get our running game going because the defense kept giving points after points.. Barry, Bo and Jim Brown in their best years couldn't helped out on offense yesterday..,

The better team with the veteran coaching staff won yesterday, plain and simple..

Who said the RBs are to blame?
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM ]
There were 5 passes 30yds or more in one game. It hadn't been done in a few NFL seasons (10?) or something like that. Wow.

The 49ers will still win some games, but with this OLine and secondary, more blowouts on the horizon? I hope not.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by 9moon:

Who said the RBs are to blame?

Well, someone posted about how HAYNE is too slow to get to the whole, how Davis is this and that, how Carlos was droppin the ball too soon.. . those aren't the facts on how and why we lost the game..

that's all I'm saying..

• thl408
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by lamontb:

yup sometimes just mess with the front and not the back end. steelers max protected and then took deep shots.
just double cover the best wr in the nfl and force everyone else to beat you

Saw the mention of Tomlin saying that's what happened. If the Steelers are going to max protect after seeing a bunch of 49ers at the LoS, then the purpose of crowding the LoS is done. Them keeping in 2 additional blockers means they have only 3 routes going out. Drop 6 or 7 and play coverage. Don't continue to blitz into max protection. Not sure if any of that was actually done or not, just saying.
Unless we get pressure on Carson Palmer there could be a replay of the Steeler game. Arizona will go for the jugular early. Their D is better than Pittsburgh's. The best take on the loss was Kap's maturity and hard work seems to be paying off.

I agree about starting the game off with more of a WCO profile in terms of passing to set up the run. Like you said though, the run game really was always established with Monday nights performance. It was primed to get the short hitting passing game going. My hope is, with the way they passed the ball in the 2nd half it gives them confidence that they can pass to set up the run and not always just pound away early. Now, I'm not talking about an entire philosophy change, but it would be nice to go against some tells/trends that we have had for the last 4-5 years.

Kap has me really excited. I've always believed in him as a QB and defended his performances and it great to see he is making noticeable strides in elevating his game from the pocket. We as a team are gonna be the better for it. A QB playing at high level over the course of a season can hide a lot of ills. This season is all about kap.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I seen one pass play where Marcus Martin snapped the ball and went to his left to help Boone and the NT? in front of Martin runs in untouched to either sack or get pressure on Kaepernick..........how does this happen
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
I seen one pass play where Marcus Martin snapped the ball and went to his left to help Boone and the NT? in front of Martin runs in untouched to either sack or get pressure on Kaepernick..........how does this happen

I figure swapping Martin with Kilgore is worth at least 6-10 points per game (2-3 fgs). Martin's weak pass protection and penalties kill a lot of drives.
Share 49ersWebzone