There are 177 users in the forums

Week 2 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kilgore would make the OL only 40% rooks not 60%. Three guys lined up next to one another, and one guy on the team only 14 days....wow, a lot of bad can come from that. Yes, Kilgore would make an outsize advantage to what it looks like superificially. That said, he isn't out there...and there is no guarantee when he will be ...so why not insert brown, when most acknowledge he will be starting for us before too long? At least he is more difficult to get around, in that the guy is sort of like a walking mountain.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I don't think I could rewatch that...

The thing that stood out for me during the game though was that we seemed flat and lacking energy. The Steelers were really fired up and keying on Hyde but we didn't seem to respond with aggression in return and up our physicality to match. Our game plan was too obvious, we looked like the plan was to go out and do what we did vs Minnesota as if they hadn't watched the tape and seen how good Hyde was. We needed to open the PA and passing game much earlier.

1) Kap is looking really good, if we can get an OLine that can consistently give good protection then he will deliver and grow into a real star.

2) I agree that he looks like he's feeling the hits, the Steelers really went after him and I thought there were a couple of pretty dirty hits from them - especially that one to the knee of his planted leg that you mention.

3) Thl broke down one of the plays in regards to the Oline and it seemed like Martin had the wrong snap count a couple of times which led to one of the sacks. What worries me is we seem to have a lack of talent and a lack of execution on the right side of the line.

4) I'm worried on this as well, we need to shop in the draft for an outstanding pass rusher. Brooks seemed non existent and he's supposed to have taken over from Aldon. Lynch needs development still but I wonder if we'd be better using him to pin his ears back rather than set the edge.

5) Looks like lots of execution errors in the secondary, I can live with that though and take our learning lumps in a non-conference/division game.

6) Hayne it seems is to be a backup to Bush and take the screen passes etc. He needs the reps so I've no issues with him getting more in a game like this.

7) Hopefully we'll use this game, take a leaf from Big Ben's book and take many more deep shots to Torrey.

8) Vernon is just not physical enough for me at TE, he's playing like a 180lb WR and after he catches he's not seeking to make the hit and take contact to the defenders. I would rather we developed Bell at this point as I don't think Vernon comes back next year, he seems to have lost his fight.

9) Yeah the drops were horrible - that reminded me a bit too much of last season where we went through the same thing. Time for juggs machine and ball security drills.

10) I'm glad we got a rude awakening to let us take it to Arizona. Hopefully we will play with some fire and correct those game plan and execution issues. Main thing for me is no serious injuries reported (fingers crossed). That game was the toughest we were going to play all year in terms of schedule, travel, rest and time to game plan. We've got it out of the way and with some major lessons and coaching points to learn.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I completely agree with all of this. We miss Aldon BAD. Lynch needs to play wolb and stay there. Kaep mentioned in his presser that they played two-deep safety most of the game, why didn't we? I'm REALLY curious to know if the lack of safety help was by design or was it blown assignments. Eric Reid looked awful and slow. IMO he has never looked like a first rounder.

I think Reid will be fine. Over-reacting a bit there. Entire D had a bad day.

I'm not so sure how "fine" Reid will be. Since his great rookie season in 2013 he hasn't sniffed that level of play. This is a guy who has admitted he considered retirement due to concussions, so whether it's that or something else the fact is the Niners are in trouble if he can't regain that PB level of play.
They have to sort out this RB depth chart thingy ASAP,Hyde won't make it to week 5 with this workload sadly.
  • thl408
I understood the desire for to get the ground game going. That seems like the bread and butter for the 49ers. But they had to know that PIT was going to key the run in a big way after seeing what Hyde did to the Vikings. So it's safe to say that the 49ers already had the run game established before their first offensive snap. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the 49ers could have come out slinging it around using playaction. That doesn't fix the real problem yesterday though.

The defensive game plan was garbage. I would have put the onus on the front 7 to do its job versus DeAngelo Williams, and put two safeties back at all times. Force the dink and dunk game. It might have been a slow death, but watching DHB and ABrown catch nearly every single long bomb was frustrating. Although PIT capitalized on every deep throw, they did have to methodically move down the field on a drive or two so maybe this was done and I couldn't see it.

About putting the safeties up at the line of scrimmage at the snap, then having them run back to the deep zone. When a standard 4 man rush can't get pressure, try to confuse the protection scheme so that perhaps there's a free rusher at the QB. We saw the downside as the safeties couldn't get back quickly enough to help the CBs. Should have just double covered ABrown all the time, who cares if it's obvious. Force DHB/Wheaton/TEs to beat them. To say the defense was swiss cheese is inaccurate because even swiss cheese has some parts where there are no holes. Ben averaged a ridiculous 13+ yards per attempt.

The two bright spots is the fight from the team in the 2nd half, and Kap. He was quick to take what was given and showed good accuracy when given time.
I completely agree with all of this. We miss Aldon BAD. Lynch needs to play wolb and stay there. Kaep mentioned in his presser that they played two-deep safety most of the game, why didn't we? I'm REALLY curious to know if the lack of safety help was by design or was it blown assignments. Eric Reid looked awful and slow. IMO he has never looked like a first rounder.

We didn't play two deep safety because one of our safeties would always be pretending to blitz near the box do to lack of pressure. We need a fat lineman who can collapse the pocket. IMO Purcell needs to be activated and our rotations need to be NASCAR like.

Legggo!!
[ Edited by NikeSBHead on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:05 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
After last week I was very happy we won but I knew the team would be pumped up and ready to play especially since the game being on MNF and we got those new black uniforms. This game this week revealed what I wanted to see from our coaches and mostly coach Tomsula. Short week and traveling to the east coast I wanted to see if the coaching staff had these guys ready to play and it was evident from the beginning that coach Tomsula and his staff failed miserably. The team was not ready to play a football game. Not form a mental standpoint or a game planning standpoint, say want you about former coach Harbaugh but he pretty much always had the mentally prepared to play football and especially on the early 10am east coast games.

Kap wasn't the problem out there he looked okay considering the Oline is probably the worst in the league.

Hyde I knew it was gonna happen I love the kid but he just takes way too many hits. Also it looks like Baalke failed miserably at providing RB depth. Bush is always injury prone, Davis is a rook and nothing special and Hayne should not even be on the roster he needs a year on the practice squad.

Receivers looked good especially Torry but the game was out of hand at that point. VD I love the dude but I dont think he is the same mentally and physically because of age.

Defense was awful the Mangenious was easily exposed by a vet QB and expect that to be the norm all season. Secondary is bad a certain CB we passed in the draft may have helped. The Dline was invisible all game as I said the team was not ready to play a football game.

Overall not a good sign for coach Tomsula that game looked like the Singletary/Nolan era 49ers.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I think Reid will be fine. Over-reacting a bit there. Entire D had a bad day.

I'm not so sure how "fine" Reid will be. Since his great rookie season in 2013 he hasn't sniffed that level of play. This is a guy who has admitted he considered retirement due to concussions, so whether it's that or something else the fact is the Niners are in trouble if he can't regain that PB level of play.

Exactly. Marvin49 I'm not overreacting, my observations aren't just from yesterday, they're from his entire career. I've watched him overrun plays, get beat deep, be out of position on big plays way to often for a 1st rounder.
Kilgore needs to get healthy. I think adding him will really help solidify that line. Anthony davis not being here, as much as you guys dont like him, is biting us in the ass. I think the scheduling screwed us, but this is not acceptable. Big ben looked like he was playing 7on7. The running gamewas terrible once hyde got hurt. They need to get their s**t together.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
After last week I was very happy we won but I knew the team would be pumped up and ready to play especially since the game being on MNF and we got those new black uniforms. This game this week revealed what I wanted to see from our coaches and mostly coach Tomsula. Short week and traveling to the east coast I wanted to see if the coaching staff had these guys ready to play and it was evident from the beginning that coach Tomsula and his staff failed miserably. The team was not ready to play a football game. Not form a mental standpoint or a game planning standpoint, say want you about former coach Harbaugh but he pretty much always had the mentally prepared to play football and especially on the early 10am east coast games.

Kap wasn't the problem out there he looked okay considering the Oline is probably the worst in the league.

Hyde I knew it was gonna happen I love the kid but he just takes way too many hits. Also it looks like Baalke failed miserably at providing RB depth. Bush is always injury prone, Davis is a rook and nothing special and Hayne should not even be on the roster he needs a year on the practice squad.

Receivers looked good especially Torry but the game was out of hand at that point. VD I love the dude but I dont think he is the same mentally and physically because of age.

Defense was awful the Mangenious was easily exposed by a vet QB and expect that to be the norm all season. Secondary is bad a certain CB we passed in the draft may have helped. The Dline was invisible all game as I said the team was not ready to play a football game.

Overall not a good sign for coach Tomsula that game looked like the Singletary/Nolan era 49ers.

Agree. Coach tomsula looks weird during the game, like if he doesn't know wtf is going on

Originally posted by All22:
Agreed. We can't forget that PIT had 10 days vs our short week and it was an 11am east coast game. That's a lot of situational advantage to give up before the game even starts. The real test is what they do against the Cards.

Although that is also an away game with a day lost to travel (not including the travel back from the East Coast).
Originally posted by thl408:
I understood the desire for to get the ground game going. That seems like the bread and butter for the 49ers. But they had to know that PIT was going to key the run in a big way after seeing what Hyde did to the Vikings. So it's safe to say that the 49ers already had the run game established before their first offensive snap. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the 49ers could have come out slinging it around using playaction. That doesn't fix the real problem yesterday though.

The defensive game plan was garbage. I would have put the onus on the front 7 to do its job versus DeAngelo Williams, and put two safeties back at all times. Force the dink and dunk game. It might have been a slow death, but watching DHB and ABrown catch nearly every single long bomb was frustrating. Although PIT capitalized on every deep throw, they did have to methodically move down the field on a drive or two so maybe this was done and I couldn't see it.

About putting the safeties up at the line of scrimmage at the snap, then having them run back to the deep zone. When a standard 4 man rush can't get pressure, try to confuse the protection scheme so that perhaps there's a free rusher at the QB. We saw the downside as the safeties couldn't get back quickly enough to help the CBs. Should have just double covered ABrown all the time, who cares if it's obvious. Force DHB/Wheaton/TEs to beat them. To say the defense was swiss cheese is inaccurate because even swiss cheese has some parts where there are no holes. Ben averaged a ridiculous 13+ yards per attempt.

The two bright spots is the fight from the team in the 2nd half, and Kap. He was quick to take what was given and showed good accuracy when given time.

Exactly. D'Angelo Williams is a journeyman at best, if our front 7 couldn't stop him then the season is over anyways. The defensive and offensive game plans were AWFUL, it's like they saw what the Pats did and said 'let's do the opposite'. Completely over thought it. All in all I think we will be fine, better to find out week 2 than week 12.
Lost a lot of confidence in the coaching yesterday. Kilgore probably won't really help this team til next year. Can't expect him to come off this injury and immediately be in great form.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:

Agree. Coach tomsula looks weird during the game, like if he doesn't know wtf is going on

Yes that game gave me answers I was looking for.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Blake Bell should be added to the positives. The catch he made, while taking a shot to the back and one to the head, showed better hands than Vernon ever has. I think Blake Bell is going to be a great security blanket TE like Witten or Daniels,
[ Edited by All22 on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone