There are 247 users in the forums

RedZone Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
If Ck can get down a good "fade" throw in the endzone, we'd be money a lot. Think of how many times that throw is what gets the TD - you saw Tom do it to Pitt twice. We see it 100 times a year. Often, because if you condense the set, and split one guy out wide, you're 1-1. We tried this 3-4 times with Boldin and didn't hit on any of them. One play in particular, reminded me WAY too much of the 2012 SB. Pitt brought an all out blitz, 1-1's across the board, and CK threw the fade, but it was no where close to catchable. We have got to start hitting this play, or our redzone offense will continue to smell like a compost pile. This is where having a tall, big bodied receiver who can go "high point" the ball would be extremely valuable. VD isn't like Gronk, in that, Gronk is taller and has gorilla arms, his standing reach is nearly 10 ft, so VD aint the guy. It'd be interested to see if they let DeAndrew White give it a try. I don't have his measureables, but on film, he looks like he's taller with good length.

I do agree that the fade is his most inconsistent throw, but he's never had a Gronk, or anything close to Gronk. Who can he trust to win the majority of those toss ups? Until we have that kind of receiver or TE that he can build "fade chemistry" with, i think he'll continue to be inconsistent.
When you have elite running abilities at the QB position, you should spread the defense out on the goal line. That way if no one is open he'll be able to easily run it in for the TD.
When you have elite running abilities at the QB position, you should spread the defense out on the goal line. That way if no one is open he'll be able to easily run it in for the TD.
  • buck
  • Veteran
"The 49ers are bad in the red zone because of Kaepernick "

That is the narrative being written.

Here are Kaepernick's overall quarterback ratings and his red zone quarterback ratings for the last three years.

In those three years Kaepernick threw 50 touchdowns; 31 of those came in the Redzdone---62%.

I am not sure that the 49er woes in the red zone, despite what the narrative asserts, can be placed on Kaepernick.

Hopefully, the 49ers, and I include Kaepernick in this, will improve in the red zone this year. In the first two games, the red zone play has been poor to say the least---and again that includes the play of Kaepernick.

Originally posted by thl408:
Score touchdowns from the 21 yard line. Problem solved.

I actually agree with this. The closer you get to the goal line the more the field spacing is compacted. This leads to smaller passing lanes and tougher runs. The more space a defender has to cover the easier the TD. This is why I HATE HATE HATE when we go shotgun spread inside the 20. It just makes defending the play easier not harder.
I prefer we ran plays out of a 12 or 21 personel grouping from under center. Bring the formation in tight and make the defense react and cover. This would allow for play action, boots, curls, drags, etc.
I prefer we ran plays out of a 12 or 21 personel grouping from under center. Bring the formation in tight and make the defense react and cover. This would allow for play action, boots, curls, drags, etc.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Our executiin goes to s**t in the RZ. Its not on one player. Theres always a penalty, dropped passes, missed blocks and missed throws. We could do things like spread them out more which I thonk is good, but our players play like crap in the RZ.
Originally posted by Antix:
Our executiin goes to s**t in the RZ. Its not on one player. Theres always a penalty, dropped passes, missed blocks and missed throws. We could do things like spread them out more which I thonk is good, but our players play like crap in the RZ.

My observations precisely. There's always SOMEone who completely blows it and ruins the entire RZ possession. Pears penalty. Martin penalty. Bruce Miller drop. Boldin drop. Vernon drop. CK overthrow.

How you counteract that, I don't know. You'd just have to practice until reaching perfection. The Bill Walsh way.
I've asked before , but will do so again. Why... when we got Anquan..., and he was the best jump ball receiver on the OOB marker, in the middle of the field, in the RZ and in the EZ....did we not continue to use him like that? OK, harbaw I can understand. Guy had a head as hard as rocks, and any ideas had to be his. But JT, Geep, logan...why aren't they utilizing the most awesome weapon we had ever seen in the SB...except there it was against us. Here we should be doing the same thing. Why not? And talk about RZ...with the jump ball, fade to outside on OOB marker...the guy was just MONEY. Never dropped one I recall, and also is a gimme 3rd down weapon. Why haven't we seen him doing that now? My guess would be nobody thot of it, but they should. Kap can make that throw...but to my knowledge that pass has never been thrown. Is this just gross oversight?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Here are Kaepernick's overall quarterback ratings and his red zone quarterback ratings for the last three years.

In those three years Kaepernick threw 50 touchdowns; 31 of those came in the Redzdone---62%.

I am not sure that the 49er woes in the red zone, despite what the narrative asserts, can be placed on Kaepernick.

Hopefully, the 49ers, and I include Kaepernick in this, will improve in the red zone this year. In the first two games, the red zone play has been poor to say the least---and again that includes the play of Kaepernick.

How about 2015?

The stat I got is ranked 27th with a QBR of 67.2.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-rating-in-red-zone/2015/
Originally posted by Rascal:

How about 2015?

Numbers look good so you cherry pick stats from 2 games. Yea, you don't hate Kap....
  • buck
  • Veteran

How about 2015?

This year does look really bad---as I said in my post.

The narrative I complained about was that the redzone offense is bad bedcause of Kaepernick.

Clearly, the red zone offense, and Kaepernick's play in the red zone this year, as I said has been very poor.

But, Kaepernick's performance in these two games does not negate his numbers from last year or the year before. He has performed well in the past and is capable of doing so this year.

Kaepernick simply was not "the problem" in the past.

Clearly, he needs to do much better than he has done in the first two games.

Nevertheless, it is too early to decide that these two games justify the sweeping claim put forward in the narrative.

[ Edited by buck on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:32 PM ]
We are struggling in red zone like last year.

Play calling is lacks creativity. Let's get some TE mismatches going on.

Or is the coaching staff running it to please the FO?
  • buck
  • Veteran
How about 2015?

That rating that you cite is not a QBR rating---it is the quarterback rating from the NFL.

The quarterback rating uses pass attempts, completed passes, passing yards, touchdowns, and interceptions

You can get the quarterback ratings in the redzone if you go to splits page at ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14001/colin-kaepernick

The QBR is a different ball of wax. You look at what goes into the QBR at http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

And if you look closely the differences between the quarterback rating and the QBR should be obvious.

Also, ESPN does give a QBR for the work in the red zone.

[ Edited by buck on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone