LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 380 users in the forums

Glaring problem with 9ers defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I had a feeling the Steelers sensed the 49ers defense was tired and flat out there today,i mean they went for the 2 point conversion right off the bat,49ers players looked lethargic and sluggish probably due to the awful schedule,,im sure veterans like Big Ben are good at reading body language of opposing players, he went in for the kill on that defense on that 2 point conversion.
[ Edited by BarrySandwich on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:46 AM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
49ers defense is in trouble because in the past we could bring pressure with the front four Ray Mac Justin Aldon and Ahmad, well only Ahmad is left and he's washed up so there is ZERO pressure without blitzing. i.e. 6-10 here we come and a new REGIME HC/GM please.
Aldon was cut quite late thx to him, we prepared for Justin's retirement but u cannot replace a future HOFer that easily though. RayMac was the only guy who could have replaced in time, however he wasnt never ever a pass-rushing threat anyway.

a new hc and gm could not stop this bleeding at all.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
No, dont cut them, they have no hope with no pass rush. Shoulda kept Aldon til something better came along.
sorry but the regime would become incredible if it had kept Aldon.
1. Passrush
2. No one seemed 100% sure they knew what their assignments were
3. Passrush
Glaring problem on the defense?? The guy who got roasted by Brown repeatedly. Lol was he ever in the neighborhood on some of those deep balls? Hell, was anyone in position to make a play on the ball on any of his catches??
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Sep 21, 2015 at 4:25 AM ]
As far as the pass rush goes I still have hope for Lynch.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Reid is a good player. Not a star by any means, but solid. We could do A LOT worse than him, and I don't think he is a glaring problem.

Although I do agree he's not really a centerfielder type FS. He also hasn't played as well as his rookie year, when he seemed to play faster and more physical. Not sure if the concussions have altered his style of play.

The glaring problem on defense is the lack of a 4-man rush. I have no problem with Mangini wanting to blitz. It's a big problem when the only way you can get pressure is via blitz. That's where we are right now. Today, the blitz didn't even work, easily snuffed out by max protection scheme.

Heading into the off-season, pass rush is the biggest need on the team. Even bigger than o-line IMO. We can find quality lineman on Day 2 and Day 3. But impact pass rushers need to be taken 1st rd.

its been problem last 2.5 years. why are we talking about it now?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Reid didn't even look like he was trying today. Running, er, jogging half speed at most.

this right here. I noticed so many times too that he was out of position on a ton of plays, and just didn't seem to hustle to make up for it, but I have never seen him so timid in his life.

Also lol i haven't seen so many blown assignments since a High School game.
Young guys, low rest and lack of prep time account for a lot of the secondary issues. I view Acker's day a lot like a good rookie pitcher facing his first elite batter..kid was going to have a rough day no matter what....the pass rush is a problem that wont be going away though. We lost too much over the last two to three years at that spot and hadn't refilled it because we always thought those guys were coming back eventually. I think we will be very up and down on D this year. Elite QB's who can read even the most well disguised blitz and or great lines that can easily pick up the extra free rusher are going to be trouble for us.
Spend at least 2 draft picks on pass rushers and hope they hit

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eman:
True, his timed speed on the 40 does not translate to the field.
there were three deep passes for instance tonight that went Abrown's way, where reid was not even looking for the ball but was hoping to make contact with body. One time was late and Abrown caught first down, second time Reid jarred ball loose (if he had gone for the interception and had good field positioning, could have probably had it), and the third pass was caught by Brown and tackled at the 2 yard line. one other play that Brown caught TD, Reid was in quarters where he was supposed to defend corner area but completely let Brown get wide open. Could see his body language that he played that wrong.

these are just 4 plays today, but demonstrate that Reid may become liability. He is not getting younger or faster either...
I think you're overreacting big time. We didn't exactly have a great gameplan for Brown or any pass rush to help out the secondary.
Originally posted by znk916:
no pass rush anymore

No pass rush and getting beat by every WR deep
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
As far as the pass rush goes I still have hope for Lynch.

Sure, he's good,Bowman is good, but you lose 2 line starters,3 LBs,the cornerbacks.......obviously that's too much to replace on short notice. Likewise lost 2 starters on O Line. Niners were not GOOD last year. No way they figure to be as good.
i honestly think they should take the 2011 aproach ....& have eli harold come in on passing downs
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by eman:
True, his timed speed on the 40 does not translate to the field.
there were three deep passes for instance tonight that went Abrown's way, where reid was not even looking for the ball but was hoping to make contact with body. One time was late and Abrown caught first down, second time Reid jarred ball loose (if he had gone for the interception and had good field positioning, could have probably had it), and the third pass was caught by Brown and tackled at the 2 yard line. one other play that Brown caught TD, Reid was in quarters where he was supposed to defend corner area but completely let Brown get wide open. Could see his body language that he played that wrong.

these are just 4 plays today, but demonstrate that Reid may become liability. He is not getting younger or faster either...
I think you're overreacting big time. We didn't exactly have a great gameplan for Brown or any pass rush to help out the secondary.

I do blame Ried's woes on the game plan. I don't think you are doing anyone a favor by trying to disguise the double coverage on Brown. He is too good for that, you are putting your safety behind the 8 ball by making him hustle over post snap instead of lining up where he should be to have a good line on the guy. For some reason people don't think Brown is elite..when his stats the last 3 years say anything but.
Share 49ersWebzone