LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Glaring problem with 9ers defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eman:
We all knew this year would be a year full of rocky bumps and some surprising moments,
I for one am not worried about all the yards we gave up, it is a young team, and you knew sooner or later a smart offensive team would take advantage of communication breakdowns. hopefully it can be fixed and we can right the ship.. last week we got saved from the PI call on Bethea (or what should have been) when he was playing shallow. we don't have safeties with 4.3 speed so we may need to play them back a bit. We have not given up this many 40+ yard completion in several games, let alone in one game.. today there were 4 or 5!!!!

What I am really worried about is Eric Reid's ability to play deep centerfield. He is one of the famous 9ers to be drafted last 4 years by baalke (including Armstead, Ward, Aj Jenkins, Reid). When he came out, I read how he takes wrong steps and gets himself out of position. then there was the seattle seahawk game in conference championship where he inexcusably allowed Lynch to Juke him for 40 yard touchdown. Past few years, I watched how he comes up strong in run support and stopping short passes, but gravely misjudges long passes and does not seem to place himself well for success on deep passes. today i almost wanted to vomit to see the play where Antonio Brown almost scored on him... he made Reid look stupid twice.

I just hope we can have him close to LOS and use him as safety/ LB combo defender guarding TEs and RBs than depending on him to help cover speedy WRs on deep passes. Should we look at moving on and using Ward ???

Reid is a good player. Not a star by any means, but solid. We could do A LOT worse than him, and I don't think he is a glaring problem.

Although I do agree he's not really a centerfielder type FS. He also hasn't played as well as his rookie year, when he seemed to play faster and more physical. Not sure if the concussions have altered his style of play.

The glaring problem on defense is the lack of a 4-man rush. I have no problem with Mangini wanting to blitz. It's a big problem when the only way you can get pressure is via blitz. That's where we are right now. Today, the blitz didn't even work, easily snuffed out by max protection scheme.

Heading into the off-season, pass rush is the biggest need on the team. Even bigger than o-line IMO. We can find quality lineman on Day 2 and Day 3. But impact pass rushers need to be taken 1st rd.
Sometimes your best defense is a good offense...(offensive line) that is.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Sometimes your best defense is a good offense...(offensive line) that is.

The offense sputtered early, but that doesn't excuse the defensive performance today.
  • eman
  • Veteran
I agree with you that we need OLB, RT then RG in this order for next year.

I am just fed up seeing reid making critical mistakes time and time again. I know he is only 3rd year player, but when we gave up a lot to trade up for him, and he was supposed to be Mr dependable back there, we can't afford to cringe anytime opposing teams pass deep on us

I remember few years back anytime we were thrown to deep, I was looking for INT when we had Dashon and Whitner. Now anytime I see deep pass, I am thinking how bad is our safety getting burned.
[ Edited by eman on Sep 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM ]
I was at the game in Pitt. Reid was one of the only DBs to actually try to tackle. Acker was Antonio Brown's biotch all game.
Reid is a gambler. Never really get anything in the middle from him. It's usually a turnover/monster hit, or he gives up a big play. At least he doesn't get flagged too much.
Not having a pass rusher like aldon smith.....besides that, not much. Not getting a sack is bad enough but only getting ONE HIT on a qb playing with a BACKUP center is inexcusable. Today was horrible pass rush coupled with horrible safety play. Cb play was bad but I have never seen a game like this on defense since before harbaugh.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Reid is a gambler. Never really get anything in the middle from him. It's usually a turnover/monster hit, or he gives up a big play. At least he doesn't get flagged too much.

That sounds more like Dashon Goldson than Eric Reid. He's more steady than that. I agree he doesn't get flagged much.
The secondary didn't have a good day. I think the safeties being so close to the line of scrimmage was a mistake. They clearly didn't have enough time to recover. Especially with these receivers. Pitt has the fastest group of them in the NFL. Hopefully they can make an adjustment from this lesson. We'll see if that's the case since we got the AZ, GB, and ATL coming up. Julio Jones could offer the same trouble.
Originally posted by Rambo49er:
The secondary didn't have a good day. I think the safeties being so close to the line of scrimmage was a mistake. They clearly didn't have enough time to recover. Especially with these receivers. Pitt has the fastest group of them in the NFL. Hopefully they can make an adjustment from this lesson. We'll see if that's the case since we got the AZ, GB, and ATL coming up. Julio Jones could offer the same trouble.

that's coaching and game plan

I really wish Aldon hadn't messed up. Those types of players are hard to find. We would be in much better shape with him on the field. As far as the game plan we should have been better prepared for that speed. We've been torched before by Julio Jones. I think watching the Patriots having trouble with the run while playing mostly nickel and dime had an influence on them. The plan was still to have those guys deep, but it wasn't good enough and we got burnt in the air instead. It was a bad position to put our guys in.
Originally posted by Rambo49er:
I really wish Aldon hadn't messed up. Those types of players are hard to find. We would be in much better shape with him on the field. As far as the game plan we should have been better prepared for that speed. We've been torched before by Julio Jones. I think watching the Patriots having trouble with the run while playing mostly nickel and dime had an influence on them. The plan was still to have those guys deep, but it wasn't good enough and we got burnt in the air instead. It was a bad position to put our guys in.

you're not missing much with aldon. he hasn't done anything with the raiders
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kujon11:

Yeah, going back to last year, he has 2 sacks in 9 games.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 21, 2015 at 1:49 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

sacks are one thing. he's not even getting pressures on one on one matchups
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

sacks are one thing. he's not even getting pressures on one on one matchups

He really hasn't done s**t in 3 years.
Share 49ersWebzone