LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

our jersey number policy...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Ideally we could retire 52, 21, 97, 94 but with only 99 numbers and us having the 3rd most retired at 9 you will run out of numbers. You can't have 2 guys with the same number on the final roster. I don't even think it works if one is offense and one is defense. Preseason doesnt matter though. So yeah it would be nice to retire more numbers but you would run out. Especially because each position has a certain number range you can wear.

why retire numbers? i mean wouldn't seeing someone wearing 97 make u think of BY? or 21 of Gore down the road.. lets say Tartt wears 42... everytime he makes a big play, people be like, wow thats like Ronnie.. in soccer teams don't retire numbers and all sort of superstars play with those numbers.. in the end is just a number..
Originally posted by kazak13:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Ideally we could retire 52, 21, 97, 94 but with only 99 numbers and us having the 3rd most retired at 9 you will run out of numbers. You can't have 2 guys with the same number on the final roster. I don't even think it works if one is offense and one is defense. Preseason doesnt matter though. So yeah it would be nice to retire more numbers but you would run out. Especially because each position has a certain number range you can wear.

why retire numbers? i mean wouldn't seeing someone wearing 97 make u think of BY? or 21 of Gore down the road.. lets say Tartt wears 42... everytime he makes a big play, people be like, wow thats like Ronnie.. in soccer teams don't retire numbers and all sort of superstars play with those numbers.. in the end is just a number..

The whole point is to honor the player by saying "you were so great, nobody else should ever wear your number".

We had this debate before. You only need to use 53 numbers at once. You could technically retire 46 numbers and still have room. It would take over 120 years for us to retire enough numbers to run into problems. There is no legit "were running out of numbers" argument.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Sep 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
The whole point is to honor the player by saying "you were so great, nobody else should ever wear your number".

We had this debate before. You only need to use 53 numbers at once. You could technically retire 46 numbers and still have room. It would take over 120 years for us to retire enough numbers to run into problems. There is no legit "were running out of numbers" argument.

yeah.. not digging this policy.. in soccer maradona wore 10 for Barcelona and Argentina, now its Messi.. a number is a number and i think when players to wearing them, those numbers and the people who wear them are forgotten.. if someone wears 34 or 37 or 39 now, I am sure people would refer back to the players from the past who were so successful wearing those numbers.. how many times do you hear michael irvin's name when dez bryant makes a huge play? anyhow.. just saying... it is what it is... :)
[ Edited by kazak13 on Sep 5, 2015 at 4:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone