Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Really like White... and would still like to see Patton make it, don't see any reason at all for Simpson to take a roster spot.

Hayne is making this team... will probably spell the end of the line for Hunter, which I hate to see b/c have always rooted for him, rotten luck with the injuries....

I guess Pinion's numbers look good on paper, but he does not impress at all... at this point he's nothing that they couldn't have got as an UDFA, and certainly not worth using a 5th round pick. But he's got the job, so we'll see how he does when the games start to count.

Would be nice to see a sack once in a while.

Pinion is young and still developing at the position, he just turned 21. He showed enough in OTA's and minicamps that the team felt good enough to part ways with Lee. He has had some good punts in preseason (and some not so good or average at best) and like you the numbers are fine but he still has a lot of room to grow.

Don't know about you but I was not expecting him to be an all pro or a top 3 punter as a rookie.

No, but enough to justify actually using a 5th round draft pick on him and imo he hasn't shown that....yet. I get that players need to "develop", but c'mon, he's a punter, it's not like he's having to study moves and counter-moves to use against a DE, or the tendencies of a WR, etc. Catch snap, kick ball. Like I said though, it's his job and he might improve, and my bet is that he does...with as inept as the Niners' offense is he'll have no shortage of opportunities.

So what's been wrong with his play? Any facts? How did all the punters do this off season in comparison? I saw him improvement from one game to another on a directional punt (his one weakness) and he dropped it inside the 10. The punt coverage units have all looked great b/c of his hang time. I'm curious how you define "value" of a punter. Kicks have been out of the back of the EZ when asked.

Have you checked out Lee's stats over in Brown's country as a good little gauge?

35th in Avg, 23rd Net Avg...if you love him, great. Like I said, I think he'll get better.