LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Preseason 4 - The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hi guys, heading out to dinner w/my sweetheart to Mandalay Bay - late nite dinner in Vegas.

Can only watch the 1st half w/suckbutt coverage.

The GOOD:

Ellington,IMO, will be #3 WR - Man, he's got some after burners.

Thompson won't be picked up from Practice squad

The BAD:

Hunter won't make the cut.

The UGLY

?????

Sorry i couldn't ad more BUT I really rather read what you guys have to say.

Man - Super glad preseason is done.

Let's get ready to rumble - GO NINERS!

Are you from the future?
Good-Ellington & White
Man am i ever glad PS is over. Let's see the real thing. Oh , and we have 4 starting RBs, 4 starting TEs, a slug of DBs, WRs, and we cannot keep them all. Dallas has no #1 RB and too many OL guys to keep. Sigh, how about a trade before cutting them?
White, White, White. Great instincts, great touch hands and great shiftyness.
  • Stud
The good. 4 preseason games, no real significant injuries, unlike last year.
Really like White... and would still like to see Patton make it, don't see any reason at all for Simpson to take a roster spot.

Hayne is making this team... will probably spell the end of the line for Hunter, which I hate to see b/c have always rooted for him, rotten luck with the injuries....

I guess Pinion's numbers look good on paper, but he does not impress at all... at this point he's nothing that they couldn't have got as an UDFA, and certainly not worth using a 5th round pick. But he's got the job, so we'll see how he does when the games start to count.

Would be nice to see a sack once in a while.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Really like White... and would still like to see Patton make it, don't see any reason at all for Simpson to take a roster spot.

Hayne is making this team... will probably spell the end of the line for Hunter, which I hate to see b/c have always rooted for him, rotten luck with the injuries....

I guess Pinion's numbers look good on paper, but he does not impress at all... at this point he's nothing that they couldn't have got as an UDFA, and certainly not worth using a 5th round pick. But he's got the job, so we'll see how he does when the games start to count.

yeah - really missed the target on 0 sacks tonight.

the only "real" pressure i saw was from MLB or S up the middle.
Originally posted by Crown:

I thought Armstead had quite a few hurries. He easily moved their 2-3rd string OL back. He clearly has the best bull rush on the team, kid will be good once he puts it all together
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by Crown:

I thought Armstead had quite a few hurries. He easily moved their 2-3rd string OL back. He clearly has the best bull rush on the team, kid will be good once he puts it all together

I believe thats what he does best and yes he did have some pressure and ate up blocks.

thing we all have to remember is that he isn't really going to be a "sack" guy. he will however be the catalyst to many sacks.

Hey now, that's "Hang em High" Jesus lol
I actually thought a lot of players stood out tonight despite only a 14-12 game.

Good:

ellington and white... not so much on punt returns for white but kick returns he was decent and mostly at wr. he makes it as 4th/5th wr with simpson suspended

farrell, tiller, brown minus a few bad plays (he is going to be a beast when he gets in shape and loses 10-20lbs)

all the cb's basically including ward... db's might be the greatest strength of the team

tartt and the safeties minus the 1 long td cant remember who was on that....

bellore looked good at times but slow on the other (kind of like an older slower borland) but he makes it for st and can play ilb/olb in a pinch...

hayne again....

wheeler and garrison smith late in the game, too bad wheeler got such a late start with his injury... skov might not make it, didnt hear from him tonight

armstead had some battled balls, got a bunch of pressure

special teams coverage, kicking, etc. really good this preseason... returns, return coverage, field goals... top notch this preseason

mangini's defensive blitzes... going to be great this season and our defense will quietly be really good despite losing a ton of talent

Bad:

Thompson's 1 throw and staring down his receivers a lot.

Thomas struggled at RG but I think he's better off at LG.

Hunter probably gets cut due to his 2 injuries but hopefully he can catch on elsewhere

Some of pinion's short punts... some were good, a few were missed. he still can boom it though but has to work on the inside the 10 stuff
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:21 PM ]
HOW ABOUT THE GREAT

Navarro doesn't like like he has missed a beat

I still can't believe Willis just retired. But, having his twin at full form will be huge. We have so many young guys on defense that having #53 leading them all will be huge.

We have two great safeties in Bethea and Reid. I hope Reid's career is not derailed by Borland.

I hope the offense is just waiting to be unwrapped. Gabbert looks like a great #2. He was a top 10 pick when Kaep was picked. Jax almost ruined him. That is why you sit QBs -- Joe with DeBerg, Young with Joe. How about Rodgers and Favre.

I still can't believe that we just cut Aldon. That will come back to doom us, like trading Haley. Mark my words. He will come back and be a beast. I hope it is not in the division.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
HOW ABOUT THE GREAT

Navarro doesn't like like he has missed a beat

I still can't believe Willis just retired. But, having his twin at full form will be huge. We have so many young guys on defense that having #53 leading them all will be huge.

We have two great safeties in Bethea and Reid. I hope Reid's career is not derailed by Borland.

I hope the offense is just waiting to be unwrapped. Gabbert looks like a great #2. He was a top 10 pick when Kaep was picked. Jax almost ruined him. That is why you sit QBs -- Joe with DeBerg, Young with Joe. How about Rodgers and Favre.

I still can't believe that we just cut Aldon. That will come back to doom us, like trading Haley. Mark my words. He will come back and be a beast. I hope it is not in the division.

over 11k posts and you can't believe we cut Aldon?

what alternative did you see at that point?
The Good:

DeAndrew White/Jarrad Hayne - We have the best returners Ive seen for a long time. DeAndrew White is on this team as a #5 receiver. If Hayne wasnt so electric, White would make this team and he wouldn't. Unfortunately for White, Jarrad Hayne has as much lower body power as some of the guys he is trying to block. He is a manchild.

Andrew Tiller - This guy is going to make this team. Ive been trumpeting him for a couple of weeks now, he had a solid game and Ian Silberman can't carry his jock strap.

Dylan Thompson - Im not saying he had a good game, but he has shown as much improvement as anybody on this team.

Kaleb Ramsey/Garrison Smith - Ill be shocked if these guys don't get picked up and we are able to keep them on the practice squad. I thought Ramsey outplayed Tank Carradine. These guys are why Lawrence Okoye is no longer on this team. They are just better. I especially hope Kaleb Ramsey makes the practice squad. He seems versatile and even has a little pass rush in him. Garrison Smith plays Ian Williams and Mike Purcells spot and he is light years ahead of where Purcell was 2 years ago. I really like both of these players.

Trenton Brown - Also didnt play "good" necessarily, but he is improving and I think he can be effective as a right tackle.

Kendall Hunter - He received the message, played much better. I do think he may get cut, as Davis looked just as good.

Rory Anderson - I believe he and Garrett Celek are playing for one spot. I don't think he makes it back to the practice squad. We really do have an embarrassment of riches at tight end. Also I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us keep 4 rb, 0-1 fb, 4-5 te. Tight ends as blockers are going to be a huge part of this offense. Especially as an extra blocker on the right side.

Jimmy Ward - Nice to see him mixing it up again.

Arik Armstead - I am starting to see what Baalke saw in him. He is one powerful dude.

Aaron Lynch - Clearly our best OLB.

Marcus Rush - I wish he had 3 inches and 20 lbs on him. If he did he would take Corey Lemonier's roster spot. The problem is that he just cannot get off blocks because of his size. He is always around the ball.

Bad

Ian Silberman - I took some flak for defending him last week, and while I still think he is a stud run blocker, I just don't know if he will make it in the passing game. I think his problem is that he has lower football awareness than some of the other guys. The strength is there but he takes piss poor blocking angles. He is going to get cut and put on the practice squad. He has the most ability to improve year 1 to year 2 on our whole team. I can see why Baalke drafted him but he is not ready yet.

Brandon Thomas - This guy frustrated me bad because sometimes he looks really good. Andrew Tiller outplays him on almost every play. He is boom or bust, when he misses a block he misses it by 2 feet. I also think he will improve.

Nick Moody - I wouldnt be shocked to see him cut. He's not as athletic as Wilhoite and doesnt have a very good feel for this position. Skov is better at this point.

Ugly

Patrick Miller - Not that he is one of our best 53, but he is just not very good.

A couple of things I noticed in this game;

-Corey Lemonier, in my opinion, outplayed Eli Harold in this game. I wasnt impressed with Harold last game either. One thing is for sure, Harold is no Aldon Smith. Dont be surprised if we sign an OLB off the waiver wire.

-Ellington is the slot receiver we've been missing. I hope they play him there.

-Hayne has shown enough on coverage and rb to make the team.

-Xavier Grimble is not a terrible tight end. This and DLine are our deepest positions

-Trent Brown is improving. I have high hopes for him.

-If they were drafted, Andrew Tiller and Dillon Farrell make this team easy over Joe Looney, Ian Silberman, and, at this point, Brandon Thomas.

-I wouldnt be surprised if we cut Bruce Miller and kept 5 tight ends. Not saying they should do this or that they will, but we have great run blockers everywhere.

-Speaking of which, and quote me on this, Our Running Game is better than it was last year. Chryst and Foerster are using our O-line the way they should be used in this blocking scheme.

-Dylan Thompson will probably not be on our practice squad. I don't see any situation where you could burn a roster spot on this type of qb. He's slight, he has happy feet, and seems to have slower awareness than other 3-4 stringers. I bet we pick up somebody else's cast off.

There you have it, feel free to disagree!

-
Share 49ersWebzone