LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Who are our "core players"?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Like NCommand, I would suggest that despite being an NFL rookie, Jarryd Hayne may well qualify already. I mean, of course he's not gonna be telling the guys what to do in a football sense, but he's a very experienced athlete who's competed at an international level and carried the hopes and dreams of his club on his shoulders almost single handedly. He's been there done that in a lot of ways and if he has a really good season, could easily be seen as a core player in my mind.
No idea. That is why I'm excited for this season.... We will find out who those guys are this season.

I'd say Hyde, Kap, Boone, T. Smith on offense. Reid, Lynch, Brock, Dial, and Bowman on defense.
Lots of young guys that could add to that group.

Add to that our older generation of core players... Staley, Boldin, and VD.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
CORE ??

Kaep

Staley

Boone

Davis

Boldin

Miller

Bowman

Bethea
Pinion.
Originally posted by susweel:
After much thought and consideration I would conclude that Bowman, Boldin, VD, and perhaps Reid are among the "core players". Hopefully in the near future running back Carlos Hyde and quarterback Collin Kaepernick can become truly elite players as well as leaders for the football team.

I would throw in Staley
Kap, Staley, Hyde, Boldin
Bowman, Lynch, Brock, Reid, Bathea
Originally posted by thl408:
My definition of "core" player is someone that team will build around for a good 4 years. This eliminates Staley, Bethea, Boldin, VD. Just my personal definition of "core".

This. Staley, Bethea and VD are elite, but I dont consider them the next generation of Niners.

I didn't add Kap to the list, because he hasn't show me that he'll be able to overcome our current Oline shortcomings. If he can't, he wont even be on the team in two years, imo.
We only have this thread because of retirements to core guys like Justin , Willis, Borland , Davis , and departure of Aldon.

Now suddenly Staley and Vernon no longer count?

That's like saying the Seahawks most important player isn't core because he's most likely retiring in a year or two.
Kap, Hyde, Torrey, Bow, Reid, Lynch. Those are the cornerstone players for the next 5+ years.

Nailed it!
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
We only have this thread because of retirements to core guys like Justin , Willis, Borland , Davis , and departure of Aldon.

Now suddenly Staley and Vernon no longer count?

That's like saying the Seahawks most important player isn't core because he's most likely retiring in a year or two.

I think thats a fair statement about Staley, VD is in the last year of his contract though. We'll see on that one.

Someone brought up Brock. He's definitly a core player. Lynch also looks very promising, but cant say that yet. I'm a little concerned about his lack of discipline going into his sophmore year.

NC brought up Ian Williams, that guy might be core too. If he stays healthy, there is some real promise.

Edit: @ JT - the reason why I'm no longer counting some of the older vets is because its likely (though not set in stone), that they'll be gone or on the downside of their career, once this team really reloads. How good will VD and Staley be two seasons from now? Who knows, but age isn't on their side.

In other words, the vets no longer count because or SB window is closed, at least for a year, probably more.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM ]

Staley and Bowman. That's it. The rest are meh.
Not sure about core but from my limited time watching 49ers games Bowman,Hyde and Staley look like the best players,still learning so my opinion don't really mean much but they look true beasts
[ Edited by BarrySandwich on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM ]
In 2 years I am going to quote this post

Our core players on offense will be Kaepernick, Mike Davis, Torrey Smith, Bruce Ellington, Staley-Boone-Kilgore-Thomas-RT (Our 2016 1st round pick.)
Our core players on defense will be Quinton Dial, Arik Armstead, Aaron Lynch, Bowman, Jaquiski Tartt, Eric Reid.

We will draft a franchise tackle in the first round of the 2016 draft after winning only 6 games in 2015... Even if anthony davis comes back, baalke looks into the future, he will draft our future LT.

Our 2016 2nd round pick will be an OLB who replaces ahmad brooks on the roster, Eli Harold and the new OLB will compete but neither will be "core player" material.

We will also draft another MLB for depth (bowman-wilhoite-skov-draftee), and a CB to develop and take shareece wrights roster spot.

Anquan will retire after this season, the starting WRs will become Torrey Smith and Bruce Ellington, with simpson and smelter competing for the 3rd spot.

Oh and also Tomsula is out after another mediocre season in 2016 (as much as i would love for him to succeed). 2017 york baalke hire a really young (under 40) energetic coach.
Bowman is the only top tier player at his position on our roster currently. We have a lot of potential and we will find some gems. I'm excited about our corners, but am concerned with how much pressure will be put on them without a pass rush.
Kap, Hyde, Torrey, Bow, Reid, Lynch. Those are the cornerstone players for the next 5+ years.

I agree with each of these.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Sep 2, 2015 at 7:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone