LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

ESPN NFL Rank does not look good for 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Maybe im just optimistic, but I can see this time next year Carlos Hyde being a top 3 pick in fantasy leagues because of the year he is about to have.

Not with the current offensive line. We lost Iupati and Davis. Even if we have no injuries on the offensive line this year, it won't be much improved from last season which was terrible. At least Jonathan Martin won't be playing this season. I've been avoiding Hyde at his current ADP (30's) and picking Gore ahead of him. Still think Hyde is a good player, but I think our line needs to improve before he becomes an elite fantasy player.

Run blocking is not the problem with our oline.
The NINERS win their first two games they are top 10. They win their first 4 games they are top 5, win their first 10 games they will be mentioned as one of the great teams of all time. These polls are meaningless.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Thats way I don't pay attention to ESPN anymore. I stick to local media only if I wanna get updates. All we can do is hope that Kaep is improved and can carry this team, although the preseason didn't help that.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Thats way I don't pay attention to ESPN anymore. I stick to local media only if I wanna get updates. All we can do is hope that Kaep is improved and can carry this team, although the preseason didn't help that.

I would lose hope too if it weren't for the fact that he wasn't using audibles and there was no gameplan.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by Baldie:

I would lose hope too if it weren't for the fact that he wasn't using audibles and there was no gameplan.

Thats thing thing we, as fans, still have to evaluate about the 49ers. 1) Has Kaep improved? and 2) Can the coaching staff gameplan each week to each opponents weaknesses?
Power rankings are flimsy BS when the team is a known quantity...when you are this years 9ers, a team that nobody knows a damn thing about they are virtually useless. We could be horrible for sure, then again this could all come together at the right time and we could be amazing. Giants and Ravens for example have a way of starting out bad, winning just enough games to get in the playoffs right near the end of the season and then catching fire in the playoffs.
who f**king cares
This is a transition year for us. We have lots of unproven talent. That is what is exciting about the upcoming season! We finally get to see the younger guys show what they can do.

Here is where I think we will see the most talent develop on our roster:

- Carlos Hyde: By the end of the season, I bet the farm that he will be widely viewed as one of the top 3 RBs in the league.

- Bruce Ellington: I'm hesitant to call out any WRs here simply because I doubt that our OL will provide for a lot of passing opportunities. But Ellington has the quickness and speed to be a great target for screens and quick hitters that our passing offense will have to rely on.

- Marcus Martin: I know that nobody is excited about our OL, but I think Martin is poised for a big jump this season. He's healthy, has great experience from last year to rely on, and has been given a vote of confidence with the starting job.

- Kenneth Acker and Jaquiski Tart: You could throw D. Johnson into this group to. With these guys and vets like Reid and T. Brock, we could have one of the best secondaries we've had in a long time. Lots of youth. Lots of talent in this position group. We will see multiple studs emerge from this group this season.

- Aaron Lynch and Eli Harold: These guys are legit pass rushers poised for big seasons thanks to our quality depth at DL and DB.

(Note: I would love to put Kaepernick on this list, but I just don't see any big jumps from him until we shore up the OL)
  • Chico
  • Veteran
We have a lot of young talent on this team & a lot of potential. I'm worried about continuity, learning a new system & rookie mistakes...
the first half of our season will be a struggle & the 2nd half should start to come together just in time to make the playoffs and win the SB!
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/NFLRANK2015/top-100-players

With Aldon Smith gone, the 49ers have no top 50 players (at least according to this ranking) and their only top 100 players are Joe Staley (31 years old) and Navarro Bowman (27, but coming off a severe injury). On the other hand, the Seahawks have 7 players in the top 50 and 9 in the top 100. If Bowman stays healthy, he may ascend in next season's rankings, but this is one of the least talented 49ers teams in a long time. This may be the least talented roster since 2007, but I felt a lot better about that roster with talented young players like Willis, Gore, Davis, and Staley who we could build a team around.

It took 4 year for that team to make the playoffs and the division has only gotten stronger. How long do you think it will take for the 49ers to make the playoffs again?

Its still a team sport right? Last spring, Kentucky, a team filled with blue chip players was supposed to win it all but got beat in the final four by a good "team". ESPN take their poll and shove it. It means nothing.

Originally posted by blm7754:
This is a transition year for us. We have lots of unproven talent. That is what is exciting about the upcoming season! We finally get to see the younger guys show what they can do.

- Carlos Hyde: By the end of the season, I bet the farm that he will be widely viewed as one of the top 3 RBs in the league.

- Bruce Ellington: I'm hesitant to call out any WRs here simply because I doubt that our OL will provide for a lot of passing opportunities. But Ellington has the quickness and speed to be a great target for screens and quick hitters that our passing offense will have to rely on.

- Marcus Martin: I know that nobody is excited about our OL, but I think Martin is poised for a big jump this season. He's healthy, has great experience from last year to rely on, and has been given a vote of confidence with the starting job.

- Kenneth Acker and Jaquiski Tart: You could throw D. Johnson into this group to. With these guys and vets like Reid and T. Brock, we could have one of the best secondaries we've had in a long time. Lots of youth. Lots of talent in this position group. We will see multiple studs emerge from this group this season.

- Aaron Lynch and Eli Harold: These guys are legit pass rushers poised for big seasons thanks to our quality depth at DL and DB.

(Note: I would love to put Kaepernick on this list, but I just don't see any big jumps from him until we shore up the OL)

Great thoughts here. I agree and it will keep changing with a huge influx of talent next year with all the picks (12?). Seattle is going to get old and top heavy. They actually already are. Couple that with three poor drafts in a row and it doesn't bode well for them. One can see a lack of depth during the preseason games. Its all part of the cycle. Many knock Baalke, but the guy could see he didn't have a roster that could get it done and chose to start reloading. You have to appreciate that.
Best 49ers 2015 Aquisition: Eric Mangenius Mangini. Love his style of DCing. No more soft coverage and rush 3 drop 8 nonsense. Love the blitz approach wish Fangio did it more but Glad Mangenius is the DC. So long as Kap has some time to throw and no other major castastropic injuries.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Best 49ers 2015 Aquisition: Eric Mangenius Mangini. Love his style of DCing. No more soft coverage and rush 3 drop 8 nonsense. Love the blitz approach wish Fangio did it more but Glad Mangenius is the DC. So long as Kap has some time to throw and no other major castastropic injuries.

Now this is something we can agree on!
It's all good. The Hayne Plane will lift the team, and the non-believers will eventually believe
Originally posted by blm7754:

Nice post man!

Here are our first & second year starters (the rest are veteran starters and most with playoff experience) and my analysis:

Ward, Jimmie (2) - Second Year Starter - Reports are he's flying around and showing speed Reid has never seen before. But we've yet to see him. The good news? We don't 'need' him to play Slot CB. The defense is moving to many 3 and 4 S-looks under Mangini and this fits Ward's strengths to a T. We now have others who can slide into the slot depending on the personnel we face (i.e. big & RZ = Johnson, Epic Speed = Reaser, Solid #3 WR = Brock).
Hyde, Carlos (2) - First Year Starter - This dude just has 'it' to me every time he touches the ball in between the tackles, off tackle in the ZBS, pass protection and in the passing game.
Ellington, Bruce (2) - First Year Starter - Here is a slot WR who can be used in various packages out of the backfield, from the slot, etc. Great short-area quickness and has some top end speed as well. So many ways we can use him!
Martin, Marcus (2) - First Year Starter - Natural born C. Now that he's in better shape, playing in a ZBS he loves himself, we may see a big year from him. That experience he got last year did more for him than we'll ever know!
Devey, Jordan (2) - First Year Starter - Older, 27 year old "calm" RG; that is, unless you take a shot at his QB. Martin loves his nastiness and demeanor. Like Martin, the experience he got last year with the Superbowl Champs could pay off dividends but it may take a minute. Also, he'll be playing in a new ZBS as well and early reports via film work and coaches meetings, he's picking things up very quickly. We'll see. If not we have Looney, Thomas, Tiller and maybe Farrell behind him. Also, Kilgore may be back mid-season as well.
Dial, Quinton (2) - First Year Starter - The dude played LDE all TC and then d/t injuries, had to play NT at 6'6". . He had an outstanding year despite constant shuffling around him on the line and behind him at ILB/OLB. That experience is already paying off as he's slated to be the RDE given his strength and leverage (he learned playing NT). Expect him to be a base down starter with Carradine/AA playing in rotation with him.
Lynch, Aaron (2) - First Year Starter - Just a perfect, natural SAM in the 3-4. Health and conditioning are his only issues. But it sounds like after surgery, he's almost there to his required weight. He's young.
Johnson, Dontae (2) - First Year Starter - How has this outside Giant NOT earned a starting spot even with epic competition with Acker & Reaser and even the veteran-privileged Wright.
Hayne, Jarryd (0) - First Year Starter - Dynamic returner who can also be transformed into a receiving back, short yardage back and perhaps, that H-Back who can learn to crack-back block as needed ala the old Delanie Walker-role.
Pinion, Bradley (0) - First Year Starter - This kid has a chance to be special right out of the gate!

Anyone have any concerns about these first/second year starters with us?

PS: You could consider Carradine a rotational inside pass rushing "starter" as well...like Tartt in the Robber-role in the DIME/NICKEL defense.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 2, 2015 at 1:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone