LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 170 users in the forums

2015 Preseason Game 3: Thoughts on the third preseason game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
I noticed that as well...if the RB takes Bowman, Wilhoite is there to clean up. But yeah, it would be interesting to see how the back end played that.

Also, you can see the inexperience of Dockett. Clearly, he was to occupy and push those two OL to his left not only freeing up Bowman inside but potentially, Lemonier as well on a loop. This is another example of this team defense. And this is why neither he nor Carradine will be on many base running downs. Dial and Dorsey are just stronger and can not only occupy two but move them to create space for the pass rushers. That's a DC using his personnel properly. In addition, keeping Carradine and Dockett rested, it affords Mangini to dial up additional pressure inside and outside with these two on passing downs IMO.

PS; Kubiak calls a mean ZBS. I think this was a good lesson for the DL this game about gap responsibilities, patience and team defense/pursuit and fundamental tackling.

Re: bolded above - yeah, I'm sure that's the idea. I guess that defensive call is sort of "all or nothing" in the sense that the inside linebackers either get to the quarterback quick (at least enough to really disrupt the play) or the quarterback will have the opportunity to pass into the opening left behind - if they call a play with a receiver coming across the shallow middle.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by hubbyt:
After watching the game again last night on NFL network Kap really had no chance to do anything. No time AND Denver held the ball for long stretches. All offensive rhythm was thwarted. Had that been a regular season game I wouldve felt very fortunate to only be trailing 8-3 at halftime. Which points to the Niners maybe having a pretty solid defense. Top 5 probably not but top 10-12 defensively is realistic. I just hope they can muster a pass rush without blitzing all game.

The o-line play was so brutal its almost hard to believe it will be that bad during the regular season. Tomsula, Chryst, Balke someone would have intervened by now if these players were truly that awful. Thomas and Martin were fairly high draft picks. I know they have talent. This appears to be a case of a new scheme really tripping them up. When your out there over thinking each play its hard to compete. I think thats whats happening our young lineman. I'm hopeful that after 3-4 games they will start to gel. I truly hope the team can go 2-2 to start the first quarter of the season. I think that would be positive.
If they can get to 3-5 by midseason I think that would not be all that bad given everything that has happened and the tough schedule in the first half of the season. I wouldn't be terribly upset if they were 2-6 by midseason but were hanging in tough in games because I think with the lighter schedule in the second half and the team as a whole hopefully gelling (the o-line in particular), they could still have a good chance at getting to at least 8-8 by the end of the season.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
If they can get to 3-5 by midseason I think that would not be all that bad given everything that has happened and the tough schedule in the first half of the season. I wouldn't be terribly upset if they were 2-6 by midseason but were hanging in tough in games because I think with the lighter schedule in the second half and the team as a whole hopefully gelling (the o-line in particular), they could still have a good chance at getting to at least 8-8 by the end of the season.

8-8 is basically where I see them landing when its all said and done. Which on the surface sounds bad but should keep "us" in the wild card race the whole season. Maybe somethings go better than expected ..some good luck HAS to come our way soon
[ Edited by hubbyt on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:49 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks for putting these gifs and images up and giving excellent explanations.

I noticed that Wilhoit (I think it's Wilhoit) followed Bow through the gap. My first thought is that having him follow Bow into the gap may carry more risk than reward since it leaves the shallow middle of the field open. Can't tell from these images, but I suppose either Reid or Bethea may have moved into that area, so maybe it isn't as risky as it initially looks.

Designed to have two blitzers into the same gap. It was cover0 so everyone was manned up including the safeties.
Thanks for putting these gifs and images up and giving excellent explanations.

I noticed that Wilhoit (I think it's Wilhoit) followed Bow through the gap. My first thought is that having him follow Bow into the gap may carry more risk than reward since it leaves the shallow middle of the field open. Can't tell from these images, but I suppose either Reid or Bethea may have moved into that area, so maybe it isn't as risky as it initially looks.

Designed to have two blitzers into the same gap. It was cover0 so everyone was manned up including the safeties.

Thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone