LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 148 users in the forums

2015 Preseason Game 3: Thoughts on the third preseason game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Notice Dial the RDE take a wide path to make the LG step out. The RB is supposed to pick up Bow, freeing up Wilhoite as the trailing blitzer. Bow so fast he beat the RB to the spot. Check out the timing Bow has. Showing the blitz too early can be costly against a vet QB.

Ian Williams #93 attacks the Center's right shoulder. This makes a nice big lane for Bow. The LG (#73) will follow Dial.
  • thl408
Here's an example of busted blitz execution. Bow is going to blitz the A gap to the Center's right shoulder. Dockett is #90.

TJE shoots the other A gap to occupy the Center. Dockett goes for a swim move to the inside, where Bow is supposed to go. Lemonier takes two steps upfield then acts as thought he supposed to loop inside.

Docket and Bow collide. This makes it an easy block for the RB on Bow.

3rd & 5 converted.
Mangini is doing a nice job with the defense so far. Love his blitzing style. I hate conservative coaching and Mangini isnt conservative.
  • Stud
Originally posted by NCommand

The Ugly:
  • Niner fans in NT in the game day thread. So b/c we don't get the game live down in SoCal, I didn't get to see the game on NFLN until 9PM. BUT, for fun, I read through the game day thread in advance. I was literally laughing so hard at how dramatic we all can get in those threads..."extreme" isn't even the proper word. You'd think we were losing 42-0 at half time. Niner fans REALLY struggle with "context" as it relates to practice games and what the coaches are/were trying to accomplish even though it was relatively obvious esp. this game. As a whole, we need to stop being whiny b!tches and grow a pair and start looking at things in context. The season hasn't even started!

You're right. Kinda like last year when the 49ers offense sucked in the preseason, but ended up being a top 10.....oh wait, no, the preseason offensive problems carried over into the regular season. 49ers were in the bottom 4 in terms of total offensive touchdowns last year. I thought this BS "it's only preseason" was squashed last year? I guess not.
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks for putting these gifs and images up and giving excellent explanations.

I noticed that Wilhoit (I think it's Wilhoit) followed Bow through the gap. My first thought is that having him follow Bow into the gap may carry more risk than reward since it leaves the shallow middle of the field open. Can't tell from these images, but I suppose either Reid or Bethea may have moved into that area, so maybe it isn't as risky as it initially looks.
Originally posted by Stud:
Originally posted by NCommand

The Ugly:
  • Niner fans in NT in the game day thread. So b/c we don't get the game live down in SoCal, I didn't get to see the game on NFLN until 9PM. BUT, for fun, I read through the game day thread in advance. I was literally laughing so hard at how dramatic we all can get in those threads..."extreme" isn't even the proper word. You'd think we were losing 42-0 at half time. Niner fans REALLY struggle with "context" as it relates to practice games and what the coaches are/were trying to accomplish even though it was relatively obvious esp. this game. As a whole, we need to stop being whiny b!tches and grow a pair and start looking at things in context. The season hasn't even started!

You're right. Kinda like last year when the 49ers offense sucked in the preseason, but ended up being a top 10.....oh wait, no, the preseason offensive problems carried over into the regular season. 49ers were in the bottom 4 in terms of total offensive touchdowns last year. I thought this BS "it's only preseason" was squashed last year? I guess not.

I think you slightly missed the point on this one.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Thanks for putting these gifs and images up and giving excellent explanations.

I noticed that Wilhoit (I think it's Wilhoit) followed Bow through the gap. My first thought is that having him follow Bow into the gap may carry more risk than reward since it leaves the shallow middle of the field open. Can't tell from these images, but I suppose either Reid or Bethea may have moved into that area, so maybe it isn't as risky as it initially looks.

I noticed that as well...if the RB takes Bowman, Wilhoite is there to clean up. But yeah, it would be interesting to see how the back end played that.

Also, you can see the inexperience of Dockett. Clearly, he was to occupy and push those two OL to his left not only freeing up Bowman inside but potentially, Lemonier as well on a loop. This is another example of this team defense. And this is why neither he nor Carradine will be on many base running downs. Dial and Dorsey are just stronger and can not only occupy two but move them to create space for the pass rushers. That's a DC using his personnel properly. In addition, keeping Carradine and Dockett rested, it affords Mangini to dial up additional pressure inside and outside with these two on passing downs IMO.

PS; Kubiak calls a mean ZBS. I think this was a good lesson for the DL this game about gap responsibilities, patience and team defense/pursuit and fundamental tackling.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 1, 2015 at 7:58 AM ]

Difference was the offense from last year we saw in preseason was all HaRoman had to offer in the regular season. They weren't using preseason to try and get answers about the team. If Chryst is going to call only deep routes that force Kap to hold onto the ball all season then yah 9ers are in trouble.
we need an OL , our OL were bad last year to begin with , we did not have a good C , now C , RG & RT . Kap won't make it past 2nd game !
If the team does well in preseason, it's a positive. If the team struggles in preseason, well... "it's only preseason".

If Gabbert does well, he's "showing legitimate improvement, has grown into a respectable backup". If Kap struggles, it's "only preseason, nothing to be worried about".

It's double standards. Happens every year. In all likelihood, we're going to be a mediocre team. That's just the reality of it.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 1, 2015 at 8:15 AM ]

Thanks Marvin, must give Hunter more time to see if he is anywhere near the player he was. Only problem, time is running out. It seems Tomsula is holding some secret about the OL, or is it really that bad. I don't know if Vance McDonald has any trade value but he's constantly injured and Bell will only get better.
Originally posted by theduke85:
If the team does well in preseason, it's a positive. If the team struggles in preseason, well... "it's only preseason".

If Gabbert does well, he's "showing legitimate improvement, has grown into a respectable backup". If Kap struggles, it's "only preseason, nothing to be worried about".

It's double standards. Happens every year. In all likelihood, we're going to be a mediocre team. That's just the reality of it.

The only thing there is to take away from the preseason is 1) knock of wood there were no significant injuries, 2) Bowman looks healthy, and 3) in a few hours we'll know what the starting lineup looks like.

I mean, do you think this is how the season is going to turn out, based on the preseason?

Originally posted by ubaisore:
Great post as usual Marvin.. I am confused on the comparison between Armistead and Haynes tho. I thought it would be more like Okoye and Hayne. Armistead has had much less time than anyone to prepare due to Oregon school schedule... can you elaborate? (I missed what the guys on the radio said)

Essentially, his argument is that he doesn't accept that Armstead is a project. His reasoning is that if Hayne can come over and play well after having never played the game then its not an excuse for Armstead. Its ludicrous. It would basically mean that no player at any position could ever be a project player because Hayne can return a few punts.
Originally posted by thl408:
Marvin, hope you don't mind me using your thread for these cut ups.

One question asked last season was 'why is Reid not used as the deep safety in single high looks and instead it's Bethea'. Since Reid is the more athletic of the two, shouldn't he be tasked to cover the deep middle?

Cover 1 Robber
Can't see Bethea from this view, but I am guessing that the 49ers are showing a cover2 shell since Reid is not in the middle of the field. Reid will come down to rob the middle zone. Man coverage all around. Notice the split by the WR that DJohnson is lined up across from - outside the numbers (wide). Also notice where the ball is on the hash marks.

All the pass defenders take outside leverage to funnel towards the middle of the field where Reid is shallow, and Bethea is deep. I think DJohnson should be taking inside leverage, using the sideline as a help defender, because of the wide split by the WR. This is how Fangio's CBs played and how CBs in man coverage normally play a WR split wide outside the numbers.
Tough to say since Tim Lewis/Mangini may want a wider split before applying this rule (use sideline as help defender). I'll be sure to look for this when the season starts. Just something I found interesting. Acker also takes outside leverage, but he is the boundary CB so it makes more sense.

Reid reading the QB's eyes.

Reid uses every inch of his length to tip the pass away. This is why Reid is often used as the robber, and not Bethea. Bethea has a couple traits that make up for his athletic deficiencies when it comes to playing as a cover1 safety - ability to recognize route combinations, and good angles. Reid's length allows him to cover good space and height.

Don't mind at all. :D
After watching the game again last night on NFL network Kap really had no chance to do anything. No time AND Denver held the ball for long stretches. All offensive rhythm was thwarted. Had that been a regular season game I wouldve felt very fortunate to only be trailing 8-3 at halftime. Which points to the Niners maybe having a pretty solid defense. Top 5 probably not but top 10-12 defensively is realistic. I just hope they can muster a pass rush without blitzing all game.

The o-line play was so brutal its almost hard to believe it will be that bad during the regular season. Tomsula, Chryst, Balke someone would have intervened by now if these players were truly that awful. Thomas and Martin were fairly high draft picks. I know they have talent. This appears to be a case of a new scheme really tripping them up. When your out there over thinking each play its hard to compete. I think thats whats happening our young lineman. I'm hopeful that after 3-4 games they will start to gel. I truly hope the team can go 2-2 to start the first quarter of the season. I think that would be positive.
Share 49ersWebzone