There are 219 users in the forums

2015 Preseason Game 3: Thoughts on the third preseason game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the play where Kap throws off his back foot and short hops it to Torrey, or overthrew VD, can't tell. Ref called 12 men on the field, 5 yard penalty. The rule should be 5 yard penalty per extra man.

The ole 5-3-5 defense......bold strategy Denver. Eight in the box and still nickel in the secondary.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:15 PM ]
I'm guessing Boldin's hit was payback for Talib trying to body slam Bush. I took note of that, and I'm sure the team did, too.

Blah blah, first blood and all that.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I'm guessing Boldin's hit was payback for Talib trying to body slam Bush. I took note of that, and I'm sure the team did, too.

yup, there was a reason
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by NCommand:
The Ugly:
  • Niner fans in NT in the game day thread. So b/c we don't get the game live down in SoCal, I didn't get to see the game on NFLN until 9PM. BUT, for fun, I read through the game day thread in advance. I was literally laughing so hard at how dramatic we all can get in those threads..."extreme" isn't even the proper word. You'd think we were losing 42-0 at half time. Niner fans REALLY struggle with "context" as it relates to practice games and what the coaches are/were trying to accomplish even though it was relatively obvious esp. this game. As a whole, we need to stop being whiny b!tches and grow a pair and start looking at things in context. The season hasn't even started!

NCommand with the

Hahaha. I just had to do it! So funny!!!!

You know, that MAY have been it. They body slammed him and then continued to drive him into the ground and no call. You notice too after Boldin was sitting down, players were coming up to congratulate them. Hmmm.
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the play where Kap throws off his back foot and short hops it to Torrey, or overthrew VD, can't tell. Ref called 12 men on the field, 5 yard penalty. The rule should be 5 yard penalty per extra man.

Great post as usual Marvin.. I am confused on the comparison between Armistead and Haynes tho. I thought it would be more like Okoye and Hayne. Armistead has had much less time than anyone to prepare due to Oregon school schedule... can you elaborate? (I missed what the guys on the radio said)

kinda what i thought. Boldin is the kind of guy who would probably be looking for payback after that
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

kinda what i thought. Boldin is the kind of guy who would probably be looking for payback after that

Good call, I didn't even think of that. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was.

Of course I'm biased, but I had no problem with the hit. If it's an INT return, and a defender blasts an offensive player the same exact way, it's not a penalty. On a punt return, it's not a penalty. It wasn't helmet to helmet, just a grown man hit. Maybe Omar Bolden needs to be more aware of his surroundings.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:43 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Good call, I didn't even think of that. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was.

Of course I'm biased, but I had no problem with the hit. If it's an INT return, and a defender blasts an offensive player the same exact way, it's not a penalty. On a punt return, it's not a penalty. It wasn't helmet to helmet, just a grown man hit. Maybe Omar Bolden needs to be more aware of his surroundings.

play ain't dead until the whistle blows...got him sleeping

Originally posted by socalniner:
play ain't dead until the whistle blows...got him sleeping

Yup, b******t penalty call.
  • thl408
Marvin, hope you don't mind me using your thread for these cut ups.

One question asked last season was 'why is Reid not used as the deep safety in single high looks and instead it's Bethea'. Since Reid is the more athletic of the two, shouldn't he be tasked to cover the deep middle?

Cover 1 Robber
Can't see Bethea from this view, but I am guessing that the 49ers are showing a cover2 shell since Reid is not in the middle of the field. Reid will come down to rob the middle zone. Man coverage all around. Notice the split by the WR that DJohnson is lined up across from - outside the numbers (wide). Also notice where the ball is on the hash marks.

All the pass defenders take outside leverage to funnel towards the middle of the field where Reid is shallow, and Bethea is deep. I think DJohnson should be taking inside leverage, using the sideline as a help defender, because of the wide split by the WR. This is how Fangio's CBs played and how CBs in man coverage normally play a WR split wide outside the numbers.
Tough to say since Tim Lewis/Mangini may want a wider split before applying this rule (use sideline as help defender). I'll be sure to look for this when the season starts. Just something I found interesting. Acker also takes outside leverage, but he is the boundary CB so it makes more sense.

Reid reading the QB's eyes.

Reid uses every inch of his length to tip the pass away. This is why Reid is often used as the robber, and not Bethea. Bethea has a couple traits that make up for his athletic deficiencies when it comes to playing as a cover1 safety - ability to recognize route combinations, and good angles. Reid's length allows him to cover good space and height.
I find it funny that some people's narrative on Kap's back-shoulder throw in the RZ to Smith vs Dallas was: a really good pass but the defender made a better play. Then some of these same people act like Manning's RZ incomplete pass to Thomas was due to being under-thrown or behind him. Not because DJ made an excellent play on the PBU. Johnson deserves credit for an excellent defensive play just like the Dallas cornerback did. Some people's narratives on certain things really suck.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Aug 31, 2015 at 9:58 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by ninerjok:
I find it funny that some people's narrative on Kap's back-shoulder throw in the RZ to Smith vs Dallas was: a really good pass but the defender made a better play. Then some of these same people act like Manning's RZ incomplete pass to Thomas was due to being under-thrown or behind him. Not because DJ made an excellent play on the PBU. Johnson deserves credit for an excellent defensive play just like the Dallas cornerback did. Some people's narratives on certain things really suck.
Yeah, I think it's a good play by DJ. Gives DThomas the inside release because he knows Reid is to the inside. Faces the play, sees the ball and prevents the catch.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Marvin49:
10) Bowman: Man that was nice to see. He still seems a bit off to me and sometimes the turf monster gets him, but he seems like a better player than he was in terms of his diagnosis of the play. He's not flying around but always seems to put himself in the right spot to make the play. He's not all the way back physically, but he's just constantly around the ball. Just imagine how good he'll be when he's more confident in that knee. :)

Mangini is going to be featuring Bow in the blitz game. This was sorely lacking from Fangio's defense, using the ILBs to blitz creatively. Eli, the ROLB will drop in coverage. Bow is the 5th rusher.

Two blockers on Dial. Bow versus a RB. This is Bow being schemed to get this matchup. Notice his team mates have given him a wide lane to attack the RB. This forces the RB to block in space.

RB takes the wrong gap.
Share 49ersWebzone