There are 280 users in the forums

Niners D will keep us in games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
no pass rush = torched.

3-13

Certainly was very encouraging to hear Maiocco say this morning that his bet is Armstead will start the season as an inactive...I guess this whole thing of 1st round draft picks contributing right away is totally overrated.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
no pass rush = torched.

3-13

Certainly was very encouraging to hear Maiocco say this morning that his bet is Armstead will start the season as an inactive...I guess this whole thing of 1st round draft picks contributing right away is totally overrated.

Well the DL has depth anyway.
The new regime will play it conservatively also. Rely on the defense, even though on paper, the defense should regress. I think that the offensive philosophy will be run first (and rightfully so because this o line cannot pass protect), play conservative and don't make mistakes. Unfortunately, I think we'll settle for a lot of FGs.

The burden remains on the defense.
Lots of 3 and outs on offense this year. I think 3 goals for the offense this year should be:

A. Kaep to find another WR target he likes as much as Q. (Hopefully Smith)
B. Minimal delay of game penalties and wasted Time OUts.
C. Get Vernon back to his old self making plays.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
all teams will have to do is run it right up our gut

We're just not very good against zone schemes, it's been that way for years (and why Seattle always has the edge vs us, they consistently run on us every game) and I'm pretty sure it has to do with how our guys are coached to play. Our D has typically been more focused on integrity than aggression. Basically we play responsible football so we generally don't give up big runs, however the flip side is that we don't make that many TFL.
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
Kap didn't play in the playoffs in 2011, Smith did. And Smith also played half the 2012 season, giving us a W/L record on track to make the playoffs.

I never said Kap played in the playoffs in 2011. I was comparing the 2 playoff runs and how our defense carried in 2011, while the offense carried in 2012. Smith is irrelevant to what we were discussing; we were discussing each year's defense and the differences.

Kap's passing stats in 2012. (the Avg. is what i'm pointing out)

he not only beat teams with his legs but he DID legitimately with his arm too. that average was a huge boost to the offense. so to say that our passing offense didn't have any legitimacy in 2012 and our defense was the primary reason for that superbowl run is a bunch of b******t.

also for comparison (just looking at AVG)

Drew Brees

Arod

Brady

Originally posted by the_dynasty:

so there is no question that the offensive boost we had passing from Kap in 2012 was the reason (along with his legs, that's a given) we were able to come back from being behind multiple times and look like a legitimate passing offense for the first time in ages. Kap's average that year was better than the 3 quarterbacks I listed that I said I wanted to exemplify
[ Edited by defenderDX on Aug 31, 2015 at 10:11 AM ]
Also if anyone wants to make a big deal about completion % i'd watch or find steve logan's comments on the metric
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article23819341.html
Man-genius better have something up his sleeve
This offense is going to be explosive. Kap,Torrey Smith,Vernon,Boldin,Hyde,Bush. It's only preseason we're playing vanilla. I think a lot of you will be shocked come week 1
Is it just me or does Bowman look better than he did before? He just seems like he's mentally two steps ahead.

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
This offense is going to be explosive. Kap,Torrey Smith,Vernon,Boldin,Hyde,Bush. It's only preseason we're playing vanilla. I think a lot of you will be shocked come week 1

Won't matter if we can't give Kap time...just won't matter
Originally posted by socalniner:

I have confidence that the o line will gel together just might take a couple games
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Also if anyone wants to make a big deal about completion % i'd watch or find steve logan's comments on the metric
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article23819341.html

If I saw one team that SEA seemed afraid of, it was ARI. Those dudes attack downfield like crazy.
Originally posted by socalniner:

I don't know. It's on Kap to hit the checkdown on a lot of those and get the ball out quick. It's one thing if the rusher comes in 1 second but it's another if he comes in 2.5 seconds. Kap takes a little longer to diagnose a deeper play that will not work and then move to the checkdown. I don't know if it is because he feels he can eventually scramble and buy time or run with it but he needs to hit that checkdown.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Is it just me or does Bowman look better than he did before? He just seems like he's mentally two steps ahead.

yeah his play recognition has leveled up for sure
Share 49ersWebzone