LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

Preseason 3 - The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
GOOD -
-Costa - I wouldn't be surprised if they cut/traded Dawson due to his salary - Baalke is thinking 2016 anyway it seems
-Bowman - superman
-Bush - still the flash
-Secondary - Acker / Reed / Johnson - Keep in mind they were playing Johnson out of position in the slot b/c there was no Brock or Ward playing. My only concern with Johnson is that he seems to take plays off - or not seriously sometimes. McCray is a keeper as well.

i disagree. johnson doesn't take plays off. he's just not a slot corner. he shouldn't be made to play the slot he is a big long corner. remember sherman used to play the slot and then he'd get abused.. and they stopped putting him there?

yea.

I like Jonhson - I agree he is not a slot guy. But watch him closely, when a play goes away from him, or his guy gets away from him, he lets off the gas in pursuit earlier than other guys.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Am I not the only one that thinks he knows what is best for the OL???

LT-staley
LG- Brandon Thomas
C- Looney/Kilgore
RG- Marcus Martin
RT Boone

This would seem ideal!

I'd really like to see more of Devey. He seemed to fit right in and play well as little action he had.

Marcus Martin is horrible, this guy is not ready

RG is the problem - Pears isn't the best, he doesn't stone guys, but he rides his guy wide and lets him turn the corner deep. If the RG blocked, the pocket would be okay. But the Center - RG gap is a major problem right now. I thought Thomas was going to be the big body RG or LG. He must be struggling with the play book. When healthy and maybe mid-season I expect:

LT - Staley
LG - Thomas
C - Kilgore (When healthy)
RG - Pears or Devey
RT - Boone

I am puzzled why Boone is at LG instead of RT. He seems a natural power tackle. Maybe with the zone, they are looking for better mobility in the middle? But Pears certainly doesn't seem mobile.

Exasperating!
The Bad - How can we get a read on Kap with the right side of this OL? May as well go 5 wide and let them through and throw hots all year.
Originally posted by jbeale49:
The Bad - How can we get a read on Kap with the right side of this OL? May as well go 5 wide and let them through and throw hots all year.

Kind of my thought. It wouldn't be fair to evaluate any QB with this line. No QB in the league should expect to have a defensive lineman in their face right when they complete a 5 step drop.
Good) NaVorro Bowman... It's Preseason (That is all.)

Solid) RBs... Bush would've been good, but the left punt was kinda meh! Ellington debut.

Bad) All the rest, got whooped big time... (Maybe that reporter everyone was dogging in the Kap thread was on to something.)

Ugly) The game like the last two 49ers preseason games, stunk... It was a beat down, with a flattering score line.
I finally watched the game (was down in LA over the weekend). I am not sure I have seen pass protection any worse than what they showed in the first half. I'll tell you, if Kap was not so athletic, big and strong he would have been injured sometime over the last year. I do think that they purposely tried to keep him in the pocket to see if the line could hold at all (no rollouts, moving pockets, etc), and the answer was not pretty.

On another note, I was shocked at how Peyton Manning looked. He is looking downright geriatric. I am positive I could not only throw a better spiral than him, but could throw it harder and farther. I really think he should have hung them up after last year. It would be a shame to see him go out as a shadow of himself, or worse ... on a stretcher. I know he still gets it done somehow, and folds like a lawnchair before he gets hit, but he just looks old and brittle to me. Watching him try to run is almost painful.
Originally posted by jbeale49:

I think that was the point tho. No one needs a read on Kap, he's our franchise QB with talent too gifted to measure. No one in the FO or coaching staff needs to read Kap, only fans who aren't paying attention. What the coaching staff do need to read is how this OL performs under intense pressure and that gentlemen they have done.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I finally watched the game (was down in LA over the weekend). I am not sure I have seen pass protection any worse than what they showed in the first half. I'll tell you, if Kap was not so athletic, big and strong he would have been injured sometime over the last year. I do think that they purposely tried to keep him in the pocket to see if the line could hold at all (no rollouts, moving pockets, etc), and the answer was not pretty.

On another note, I was shocked at how Peyton Manning looked. He is looking downright geriatric. I am positive I could not only throw a better spiral than him, but could throw it harder and farther. I really think he should have hung them up after last year. It would be a shame to see him go out as a shadow of himself, or worse ... on a stretcher. I know he still gets it done somehow, and folds like a lawnchair before he gets hit, but he just looks old and brittle to me. Watching him try to run is almost painful.

I agree but that D is super stacked. Honestly I think they let Manning play more of a game manager role and use the run more. He can still find the open man, just not the man 40 yards down the field.
Originally posted by awp8912:
I think that was the point tho. No one needs a read on Kap, he's our franchise QB with talent too gifted to measure. No one in the FO or coaching staff needs to read Kap, only fans who aren't paying attention. What the coaching staff do need to read is how this OL performs under intense pressure and that gentlemen they have done.

I can roll with that. The only thing that is a concern is the hot routes. I'm damaged goods because Roman route structure, Kap was looking at the backs of WR and TE instead of a receiver sitting down. I love involving RB a in the passing game to the tune of us not finishing last in that dept but Hyde won't have any presnap reads on who to pick up. Just go to the right and chip the 2 guys who came through the turnstile.
What we learned:
  • No audibles yet. As a result, it appeared to me that both coaches had worked out a deal to bring some heat this game to work on line calls, adjustments and blitz pick-up. Broncos in many case were bringing 5+ defenders to rush and with no audibles, CK was running for his life (he's used to that). We ran one blown-up screen all game as an example.
  • The coaches were certainly looking at bubble players this game and used it to evaluate other players such as Martin, Silberman, Brown, TJE, Skov, Carradine & Doclkett on base downs, etc.
  • This was also an opportunity to see how we fared against another good ZBS OL. This is still an area we need to work on esp. going up against Seattle. This is why we saw Carradine & Dockett in there starting at RDE & LDE respectively, in base downs to evaluate them more. Their 'real' positions will be inside pass rushers.
  • Clearly, the coaches wanted to knock off some rust on players such as well in Wilhoite, Hunter, Dockett and Bush in live action. I wouldn't rush to too much judgement on these guys just yet (positive or negative).

The Good:
  • No injuries!
  • Bowman. Jesus, this man really IS 100% back. I only saw him get blocked out one time (he and Wilhoite) for a huge inside gain.
  • Gabbert is legit. How much better does everyone feel about this. His play allows us all to take a deeper breath while also saving a roster spot by not having to have a 3rd QB.
  • Acker & Reaser continue to shine and ease fans fear that "we have no CB's." Sorry Peter King but you're wrong on this one. Acker is just a gamer, plain and simple. Johnson, Brock, Acker and Reaser are all starters in this league. This was another piece we needed answered coming into the game.
  • Brown. It's obvious to me that both Pears and Brown can get beat by excellent speed rushers with quickness off the line BUT Brown is much more athletic and has those extra long arms to swing pass rushers outside the pocket still. Pears does not. I have yet to see Brown beat inside, in part, b/c of his size. We have found something with this guy! I'd hope this becomes a last minute position battle.
  • Reggie Bush, Hayne, White & Ellington - we now have 4 legit threats in the return game.
  • Pinion - struggled with one directional punt but overall continues to boom kicks out of the back of the EZ and gets off huge punts with plenty of time for McCray to decapitate someone.
  • Tartt - this kid already is special and just flashes every game.
  • Ellington - Again, King in wrong here as well. Not only have we solidified the starters in T.Smith (X) - Ellington (Y) - Boldin (Z) but we have legit like-players behind them in Simpson - White - Baby Boldin (after Week 6).
  • Purcell has locked down the backup NT spot.
  • CK on the ground. You just got a snap shot of how much having VD, T.Smith, J.Simpson and others bring to our overall balanced offense. Defenders are SO preoccupied with them, CK is having 20 yard scramble lanes to hit before anyone even realizes it. Expect more of that in the regular season esp. once we add J.Simpson back into the mix. Ellington is another guy who was stretching the field from the slot and could have had a TD. Defenders HAVE to respect that now.
  • Acosta. Dawson is probably a bit nervous knowing what went down with Lee and Pinion. If we're going to start the youth more, is THIS the time to move on from Dawson? Like Lee and Jennings before him, Baalke has the balls to make a change and shock some fans.
  • Mangini isn't a p***y and he certainly isn't passive. That was the most pressure and beat downs Manning has ever faced against us and it was also the fewest points he could muster (6).
  • Run blocking. Hyde and Davis are going to be absolute beasts for us. And with Bush and Hayne out of the backfield, we'll be much more balanced. It seems like the line is really understanding the new ZBS and stretch runs. There were times even the young Silberman and M.Martin shined in the run blocking game.
  • Bell & Celek. These two are legit in the passing game. Has either dropped a pass all off season?
  • AA got a lot more downs against the first string and continues to 'arrow up.'
  • Special teams coverage units for the most part. McCray continues to be an MVP.
  • Ian Williams had a poor game by his standards but still flashed in the backfield several times blowing up running plays.

The Bad:
  • OL in pass protection. While the OL continues to excel at run blocking in the new ZBS and stretch runs, they continue to struggle working out the line calls on blitz pickups esp. when more than 4 are rushing the passer. CK barely has time to hit his backdrop.
  • Johnson in the slot. Naturally, if you put a 6'2" 200 pound CB in the slot on a 5'10" jitterbug, you're going to get beat if you don't jam-press him at the LOS. We gave him a clean release and played vanilla. You won't see that in the regular season either in personnel or technique.
  • Marcus Martin & Ian Silberman. While it was 'good' to start them against a formidable DL, it sort of proved that neither are ready for starting jobs at C and RG, respectively. Lots of blown assignments, mis-snaps on the ground, cement feet at times, etc. They are just too young and need more time to develop IMHO. But Silberman should get consideration for the 53.
  • Did we give any snaps to Okoye? That's not a good sign.
  • TJE and Dahl should not make this team this year and that speaks to our development and talent level now.
  • Wilhoite. He didn't lock down the position just yet. He looked much better in coverage than in run defense. He absolutely got blocked out of the running lane a couple times and that was while playing next to Bowman who had an amazing day. Lots of big runs up the middle. I think this was one spot we didn't get an answer to...yet. He and Moody are still competing in my mind. Whoever is best against the run wins esp. with Tartt's play in nickel and dime.
  • Wright continues to drop down the depth chart IMHO not b/c he sucks (good run defender) but b/c the younger players are playing quicker, faster, stronger and smarter. If I were the coaches, I'd return him to the slot where he has had the most success in his career.
  • Tackling & penalties. Obviously these are two areas that need to be worked on hard and fixed ASAP. Both are coachable. Misses in the run game and punt coverage.
  • Celek sucked in pass protection (better in run blocking).
  • Lemonier & Harold. The 'good' was getting these two LOTS of reps. For better evaluation, they kept Lemonier at the SAM where he's been all off season (this is a good thing) and gave a lot of looks to Harold at the WILL. While neither flashed a ton, both were solid and in the regular season, we'll most likely see Lynch starting at the SAM with a combination of Lemonier/Harold at the WILL. To me, the coaches wanted to see Harold more in run support and sealing that edge. I thought he made quite a few really nice plays there.
  • Dockett and Carradine. Both were washed out a lot in base running downs. To me, this is another answer...both are best served as interior pass rushers which should be their roles once the season starts. Dorsey - Williams - Dial are your base starters.
  • Boldin. WTF? I understand you're a bit frustrated but damn, no need to kill a DB over it! You're a team leader. Act like it!
  • Patton. I don't know if he makes the team if not for the Simpson temporary suspension.

The Ugly:
  • Niner fans in NT in the game day thread. So b/c we don't get the game live down in SoCal, I didn't get to see the game on NFLN until 9PM. BUT, for fun, I read through the game day thread in advance. I was literally laughing so hard at how dramatic we all can get in those threads..."extreme" isn't even the proper word. You'd think we were losing 42-0 at half time. Niner fans REALLY struggle with "context" as it relates to practice games and what the coaches are/were trying to accomplish even though it was relatively obvious esp. this game. As a whole, we need to stop being whiny b!tches and grow a pair and start looking at things in context. The season hasn't even started!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 31, 2015 at 11:00 AM ]

• jimrat
  • Veteran
On point Ncommand
Originally posted by 49ersking:
To win games consistently, a lot of things have to fall in place. Kaep sometimes makes brilliant plays, which get negated because of his dumb plays in other situations. No one really knows if he understands the QB position, or as well as Brady, Manning or Rodgers. Can the 49ers win the SB with the 15th best QB in the league?

Bottom line, it's hard to get a good QB at this time of the year. Let's hope for the best, let's hope that the coaches know something about offense to help him improve, and let's hope Baalke the bum is looking out for other QBs to create a real competition.
The word "hope" was heard a lot during 2001-2010.

Meanwhile, the criticism and praise will continue based on what happens in a given week.
Considering that these guys have been in the league for a decade or more, that would be a negative. That's like expecting someone in your line of work with 4 years of experience to be as good as someone with 20 years of experience. Do you realize that Peyton Manning has been a QB for longer than some 49ers fans have been alive? When Peyton Manning started playing QB in the NFL, Kap was still pissing the bed. And some of our fans expect Kap's decision-making to be just as good?

Man, we really do have some idiotic fans. Good thing the front office doesn't make decisions based off of popular opinion or the 49ers would be just as f**ked up as the US government.
Share 49ersWebzone