LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Preseason 3 - The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First – I'm NOT trying to steal Marvin's thread!

2nd – He's an Expert and I'm NOT.

3rd – His take is insightful analysis after re-watching the games.

4th – My thread is to capture first impressions, emotions and opinions – that's why the title - to get quick takes.

Years ago I lived in Squaw Valley and would watch the games in Pete & Peters in Tahoe City drinking Jaegers and beers & cheering Joe, Jerry, Ronnie and Steve with my Buddies.

Now I want to get the same first impressions, emotions and opinions from my new Buddies in the Zone!

If you feel offended – DON'T Read it like I do w/ everything sus writes. Don't give it the time of day.

THE GOOD:

Navarro - Dust off Superman's cape – He's back! WOW

Pinnion

Not a lot else.

THE BAD:

If our coaches are trying to hide what we'll be doing in the regular season – they're doing a great job.

The Oline was a mess. They seemed totally disjointed, and I'm being kind. I'll leave it to the experts like NC, Phoenix, Marvin & others to see exactly what went wrong.

Pears is as slow as old people fornicate. [Solution – Boone]

The DLine got worked over.

THE UGLY:

Plenty!

Go for it!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Man at least let the game end. Lol
The OL is far and away the weak point right now, specifically pass protection. How much of that is simply lessened talent (Kilgore out, Pears having to start with AD retiring late) or them having scheme communication issues (zone blocking) remains to be see.

But the OL pass pro is gonna be the main difference between 4-5 wins and 7-9 (or more) wins.

Defense looks generally good. A few weaker points, but overall I like what I'm seeing.

Run game (Hyde) and ST also look good.

But again.... What does this team have in the passing game? OL issues make it impossible to see Kaep pass, which makes it impossible to see how Boldin/Smith/V.Davis will be as receivers this year.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 29, 2015 at 8:35 PM ]
Kap played scared and when he did throw, it was off the mark.
Personally, I think we got a LOT of answers tonight. Coming in, I was looking at specific things and I found answers to a lot of them (if not all of them). But I'll leave it up to you guys to figure them out (after the emotions wear off).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM ]
Starting O was treated like RayMacs party guests
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Kap played scared and when he did throw, it was off the mark.

Tends to happen when you run for your life.

Real simple, the 9ers need to secure Andy Levitre, move Boone to RG or RT and play either Brown or Thomas depending on where Boone goes. This stuff can't continue in the regular season. Steps need to be taken now.
As Jonesadrian noted in the gameday thread. The coaches were purposefully calling complex passing situations to gauge the right side of the OL. If all people wanted to see was us move up and down the field via our normal gameplan, what would happen when we try to evolve into a more deadly passing attack during the regular season and the OL fails miserably? We need to iron out the kinks now and figure out who is who. We went against on of the elite Defensive fronts and I feel that had a big part in the decision to see our guys tested to the max. I'm 100% sure we will be better because of this.

And I salute Jim Tomsula and the other coaches that prepared for this line of thinking. Unlike our past HC who would have stubbornly accepted mediocrity.
the best:

Navarro Bowman

the good:

Kenneth Acker, Eric Reid and the rest of our young secondary in the first half - will only get better when Brock gets back/ Ward gets healthy
Cornellius Carradine vs starters
Acosta/ Pinion
Skov
Gabbert
Ellington coming back
Mike Davis, Reggie Bush, Carlos Hyde
Blake Bell
Wilhoite
Dontae Johnson outside
Trent Brown

the bad:

the DL as a whole
Carradine against backups in the second half
Lynch against backups*
penalties
overall lack of pass rush*
Kendall Hunter
Harold/Lemonier quiet*
Dontae Johnson at NB

* - may be because of how awful our DL was

the worst:

Silberman and Pears
Shareece Wright
whatever this staff is doing with the OL
[ Edited by Escobar on Aug 29, 2015 at 9:10 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Personally, I think we got a LOT of answers tonight. Coming in, I was looking at specific things and I found answers to a lot of them (if not all of them). But I'll leave it up to you guys to figure them out (after the emotions wear off).

tonight was a lot of people's shot to show they can do it or they don't belong.

we learned that the right side of the line doesn't belong. they won't be the right side of the line.

we learned that dontae and acker are starting cornerbacks in this league.

we learned that lemoneir has had every opportunity to flash any sort of impact on the game and he is simply not an impact player.

we learned that magini is a genius. lol. i never doubted it but i hope people see it now. he rotated in backups and 3rd string players and still kept peyton manning out of the end zone. he put the defenders in positions to make plays regularly. i mean. it was amazing he was manipulating peyton manning. they missed tackles but the coach can't make the tackle for you.

im only worried about the right side of the offensive line. tonight they just wanted to see if they could block and they can't.

people will try and stir up mess with gabbert but with gabbert they were trying to evaluate the other players. so they moved the pocket. ran option reads, ran other stuff so those guys could get opportunities. everything they didn't do and could've easily done with the 1st team.

i believe we see the final line that includes boone and staley at the tackles. thomas at guard

we're going to be alright

Not sure how anyone can not have the OL as ugly.
Originally posted by captveg:
The OL is far and away the weak point right now, specifically pass protection. How much of that is simply lessened talent (Kilgore out, Pears having to start with AD retiring late) or them having scheme communication issues (zone blocking) remains to be see.

But the OL pass pro is gonna be the main difference between 4-5 wins and 7-9 (or more) wins.

Defense looks generally good. A few weaker points, but overall I like what I'm seeing.

Run game (Hyde) and ST also look good.

But again.... What does this team have in the passing game? OL issues make it impossible to see Kaep pass, which makes it impossible to see how Boldin/Smith/V.Davis will be as receivers this year.

we see what they will be. take the things gabbert ran with blake bell and celek and patton and put those people you mentioned in their place.
Originally posted by awp8912:
As Jonesadrian noted in the gameday thread. The coaches were purposefully calling complex passing situations to gauge the right side of the OL. If all people wanted to see was us move up and down the field via our normal gameplan, what would happen when we try to evolve into a more deadly passing attack during the regular season and the OL fails miserably? We need to iron out the kinks now and figure out who is who. We went against on of the elite Defensive fronts and I feel that had a big part in the decision to see our guys tested to the max. I'm 100% sure we will be better because of this.

And I salute Jim Tomsula and the other coaches that prepared for this line of thinking. Unlike our past HC who would have stubbornly accepted mediocrity.

It'll be very interesting to see how they approach the final PS game on Thur with such a short week.
Good

1. NaVorro Bowman

2. Kenneth Acker, minus the ball flip when he channeled his inner Quinton Patton

3. Running game early was decent. Hyde is a stud, Bush still has some juice.

Bad

1. O-line

2. Kap. To be clear, he had ZERO time on most dropbacks. He was still skittish and I felt there were a few plays he could have gotten the ball out.

3. The f**king o-line

4. D-line got pushed around

5. 3rd down defense

Ugly

1. Pears
2. Silberman
3. Martin
4. The whole f**king o-line
5. You get the picture.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM ]
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by NCommand:

tonight was a lot of people's shot to show they can do it or they don't belong.

we learned that the right side of the line doesn't belong. they won't be the right side of the line.

we learned that dontae and acker are starting cornerbacks in this league.

we learned that lemoneir has had every opportunity to flash any sort of impact on the game and he is simply not an impact player.

we learned that magini is a genius. lol. i never doubted it but i hope people see it now. he rotated in backups and 3rd string players and still kept peyton manning out of the end zone. he put the defenders in positions to make plays regularly. i mean. it was amazing he was manipulating peyton manning. they missed tackles but the coach can't make the tackle for you.

im only worried about the right side of the offensive line. tonight they just wanted to see if they could block and they can't.

people will try and stir up mess with gabbert but with gabbert they were trying to evaluate the other players. so they moved the pocket. ran option reads, ran other stuff so those guys could get opportunities. everything they didn't do and could've easily done with the 1st team.

i believe we see the final line that includes boone and staley at the tackles. thomas at guard

we're going to be alright

You sir, are on the right path!
Share 49ersWebzone