LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Peter King MMQB Camp Review of the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fropwns:
For everything you have said, I agree. But I do think it takes time to gain that experience as a team. To go through that fire. I really will be pleased with a 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 season--to me that is not giving up, it is just tempering expectations. Surely, I would love for more. One thing is for sure, I am glad they are confident. Whether overly or not.

For sure...new schemes, new philosophies, using ALL of the 46 players now (not just burning out the same 22), lots of personnel movements, new coaching staff learning cohesion, player cohesion, game management, etc.

I just felt it's important to remember that individually, we have a ton of playoff experience on this team (battle tested), the veterans are the ones starting these games and b/c of the 19 players we had on I.R. last year, we essentially had a free year to try out a ton of players (6 of them will now be 'starters' and have earned those roles outright).

Like you said, it's good to temper expectations b/c they still have to come together as a team...as a unit...but these two points could very well help to exceed these tempered expectations and I don't think many fans would be surprised if indeed, that did happen.

It's going to be a fun ride!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM ]
Pretty fair national assessment. I feel differently about some of the younger players than King does, but he's not paid to get into deep analysis in regards to the roster. He's paid to provide an outsider's view of one day of practice. The fact that the team optimism stood out to him is a very good thing. If nothing else it shows that the idea of this team being a disaster is unlikely, because teams that have a truly doomed outlook can be discerned in short order.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:

There's only one major claim that I disagree with that King argues; the team will be a run-heavy team (again) like under Harbaugh. I don't see this happening. I really believe it will be a lot more balanced with the return of true WCO concepts. The backs as receivers are going to totally transform what we've seen in the passing game. Given that King was watching a practice prior to the 2nd PS game, I'm not sure if Chryst has the entire offense installed at this point. Look for the backs to be the 3rd receiver in this offense behind Davis and Boldin.

Really? After Baalke's "somewhere in there, he said we're gonna run the football" comment I've always assumed we're gonna run lots. And I'm cool with that. Between our new look OL and ZBS our running attack should be good. Get some easy, high percentage passes with Kap and the occasional rocket to Torrey, and call it a day.

If guys like Dial, Lynch, and Carradine step up it could be a nice recipe.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So he says we won't suck we'll just be average or little below. That's pretty much what I've been saying all off season. The 10-12 win projections are probably not likely.
Originally posted by susweel:
So he says we won't suck we'll just be average or little below. That's pretty much what I've been saying all off season. The 10-12 win projections are probably not likely.

You and everyone else outside San Francisco. It's easy following the majority.

He doesn't know our rostor though! And its better then everyone else's cause Baalke.
Peter King is not a hater. This was a well thought and reasonable article with more analysis than Paul G at ESPN or Pete Prisco. This wasn't Tim Kawakami dig at Baalke or Jed. See that's the difference between this article an many who claim to "disagree" with some here; explain why you feel the way you do. This wasn't 10 paragraphs of "The Yorks" have destroyed...... or Baalke needs to be fired ..... Peter King points out his concerns that we ALL have.

I just don't understand for some why everything needs to be painted in big absolute strokes; you can't feel positive about the teams chances and hope for the best despite concerns you have. The argument can never be nuanced here - like King's. It always has to be "this team is the worst" or "Trent has never done anything" or "The Yorks have always". King says they should feel good about a .500 season but he's NOT saying it's 2-12 with the top 3 pick in the draft next year. He says it's pretty much on Kaeps shoulders no one will disagree with that assessment on either side - I certainly don't disagree with that.

The team has lost a lot and there are chances things won't turn out well. We've all said that. BUT - I and many others here know a lot more goes into a season than what's projected. One thing King said is "they have a lot more confidence then they probably should." King is probably right, but that's why they play the games. A couple bounces here, a couple of lucky turnovers there, a big return here/there and you're in the play-offs. That's what I'm hoping for, but don't expect it. This is very different from not listening to any of your well thought out concerns. The key term here is well thought-out.

it would be 2-14, It would be pretty strange if we went 2-12
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by judodono:

You and everyone else outside San Francisco. It's easy following the majority.

Well not too many in san fran watch the niners, it's more of a baseball town and football is too violent and mean.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Sus you have not been saying that all off season. You have not at all been saying what King is saying. Your and other posts like "unless you're giving Jed and Baalke a blowjob..." is not even in the same universe as King's article. Not one single sentence was about the front office or organization. It was about the team - the roster - an honest rational attempt to evaluate the players. I've not see you write one post recently that was anything but a hyperbolic dig at the team or the season. If you've been saying something different, I'm more than willing to be corrected by examples of posts you've provided.

Look here on the projections. The others stuff is about different topics.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182351-pymwymi-2015-2016-edition-year/search=pymwymi
Peter King could be right and he could be wrong. Dont let a little article get us antsy. Recall the year Harbaugh arrived. Expectations were not real high then the Niners won 13 games. Nobody predicted that!!!

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Sus you have not been saying that all off season. You have not at all been saying what King is saying. Your and other posts like "unless you're giving Jed and Baalke a blowjob..." is not even in the same universe as King's article. Not one single sentence was about the front office or organization. It was about the team - the roster - an honest rational attempt to evaluate the players. I've not see you write one post recently that was anything but a hyperbolic dig at the team or the season. If you've been saying something different, I'm more than willing to be corrected by examples of posts you've provided.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182351-pymwymi-2015-2016-edition-year/search=pymwymi
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Sorry bud but ONE projection statement doesn't do it ....

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/183018-eric-davis-hits-bulleye/page5/
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182853-positive-49er-talk/
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182704-2015-49ers-training-camp-thread/page347/search=susweel

Those were found withing 2 minutes and I didn't even do a search...

Originally posted by NCommand:
For sure...new schemes, new philosophies, using ALL of the 46 players now (not just burning out the same 22), lots of personnel movements, new coaching staff learning cohesion, player cohesion, game management, etc.

I just felt it's important to remember that individually, we have a ton of playoff experience on this team (battle tested), the veterans are the ones starting these games and b/c of the 19 players we had on I.R. last year, we essentially had a free year to try out a ton of players (6 of them will now be 'starters' and have earned those roles outright).

Like you said, it's good to temper expectations b/c they still have to come together as a team...as a unit...but these two points could very well help to exceed these tempered expectations and I don't think many fans would be surprised if indeed, that did happen.

It's going to be a fun ride!

Not according to some! ROFL - Football is not fun.

Hahaha. Truth. NT is therapy for many...win or lose...positive or negative.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Don't have the right to feel that confident?

No can compute.
King is alright for a national guy. Though I don't agree with another poster who mentioned he seems to support the niners, in the past I have always thought he basically takes the temperature of how the team is felt about nationally and then gives his opinion about that consensus. He bashed the niners in 2011, fondled them in 2012 & 2013, then kind of just went luke warm in 2014. He always talks positively about the east coast teams he likes like the patriots, but when it comes to the west he just kind of rides the local writers then adds his experience and thoughts.
Share 49ersWebzone