LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Trading for an OLB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In a 4-3 system. The 49ers mostly need someone that will be able to get after the QB, Briggs is not that guy.

Didn't say he was....just saying that is why he is listed as an OLB.
Is Joey Porter interested in a comeback? lol
  • cools
  • Veteran
Wheeler was brought in to play ILB,
I didnt have him making the 53 over Belore or Moody,

But if Brooks is let go
I could see Wheeler being moved outside

He was mostly a 4-3 Sam before coming here
He can rush the passer, and solid against the run
Freeney has to be the call if Brooks is gone...if anything it adds depth, a good vet, and someone that can get to the QB on third downs.
My guess is they go with Lynch, Harold, Lemonier, and maybe the rookie Rush as the 4 OLBs if Brooks is on Exempt list, and then sign a FA OLB if needed, as any vet signed for week 1 has their entire salary cap number guaranteed for the season, so I doubt they add someone yet.
someone mentioned Parys Haralson in another thread... If the Saints cut him, we should definitely bring him back.

he was great against the run, and finally started to improve his pass rush skills..but it was too late by then, Brooks took his job.

edit- and yes if for some reason Brooks is suspended or cut...then I'd be willing to trade for Haralson
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:31 AM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
My guess is they go with Lynch, Harold, Lemonier, and maybe the rookie Rush as the 4 OLBs if Brooks is on Exempt list, and then sign a FA OLB if needed, as any vet signed for week 1 has their entire salary cap number guaranteed for the season, so I doubt they add someone yet.

No reason to do anything at all until Brooks is a definite loss, trade, free agency or otherwise.
I think the niners need to put Marcus Rush in with the second and first team to see how he does. I love this michigan state product and hope he makes the team and brooks is cut
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Freeney or a FA after cuts is the only way to go. Nobody is trading a starting ILB for Hinter ir anything less than a 1st or 2nd. We just gotta roll with what we got.
ALdon SMith youve been on time out long enough! COME ON DOWN.

What team in their right mind would be willing to trade a QUALITY OLB? Not a snowballs chance unless we give Kap or Staley...

OLB is arguably they second most important position on field.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
someone mentioned Parys Haralson in another thread... If the Saints cut him, we should definitely bring him back.

he was great against the run, and finally started to improve his pass rush skills..but it was too late by then, Brooks took his job.

edit- and yes if for some reason Brooks is suspended or cut...then I'd be willing to trade for Haralson

Haralson has NOT been getting to the QB down there.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
Freeney or a FA after cuts is the only way to go. Nobody is trading a starting ILB for Hinter ir anything less than a 1st or 2nd. We just gotta roll with what we got.

agree,, and we can wait a week or even two on a free agent, lets see how our guys do and how the brooks thing plays out
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
What team in their right mind would be willing to trade a QUALITY OLB? Not a snowballs chance unless we give Kap or Staley...

well there are some who think gabbert can do the job, there are some who think okoye can play offensive line so i am sure there are a couple people willing to make that type of a trade
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Good question. Answer: The Seahawks. Latest word is that they may trade Irvin to the Falcons.

http://nfltraderumors.co/seahawks-could-trade-olb-bruce-irvin-to-falcons/
Share 49ersWebzone