LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 180 users in the forums

Trading for an OLB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Are there any 3-4 OLB's out there you guys feel we should make a deal for? ....and what would you trade to get him?

would we trade a 3rd or possibly even a 2nd round pick to acquire an OLB that can come in and start from day one?

IMO we might have to look for a trade partner and deal for an OLB before opening day, or do you feel we should put our trust in Harold, Lemon, Rush and Lemonier?

thoughts?
i say wait till the season starts and let the guys play
Is Lance Briggs still available? At this point, the pickin's are slim. Let's hope Eli Harold blows up and turns into the second coming of Aldon.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

plus it's a possibility some 3-4 teams might be forced to release a talented OLB , because there will be some good players cut loose from teams that are stacked at OLB , hopefully that happens, it would greatly benefit us and save us from having to trade for one and sacrifice a draft pick
Nope. No team will give up a pass rusher of value at this point, maybe the 49ers could get Cam Johnson back from the Colts.

I think their best bet is to bring a veteran FA like Freeney, a guy who can't play a lot of snaps but will be most useful on third down.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

plus it's a possibility some 3-4 teams might be forced to release a talented OLB , because there will be some good players cut loose from teams that are stacked at OLB , hopefully that happens, it would greatly benefit us and save us from having to trade for one and sacrifice a draft pick
everyone is writing us off ,why act like we are an OLB away from the SB
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

of course this is truth. anyone we could sign as a free agent will be there in two weeks. in regards to a trade any talk of trading a player like hunter for a linebacker is a knee jerk panic , will have buyers remorse later ,, kind of move in my opinion. lets see how our guys do in these last two games,. I also note the free agent ,,nick , we signed from the jets got some reps at outside backer and did well last week. he could be a skuta guy,, just do not know. Now we will find out in the next two games. the whole thing with brooks could also just blow over to. to many things at play and it would be foolish to run out and do some trade now.i am amused by the "sky is falling, we are a laughing stock, we are a 4 win team and we just need to break out the cyanide kool aid right now" crowd
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nope. No team will give up a pass rusher of value at this point, maybe the 49ers could get Cam Johnson back from the Colts.

I think their best bet is to bring a veteran FA like Freeney, a guy who can't play a lot of snaps but will be most useful on third down.

Freeney. That's a good idea. Is he still available?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Is Lance Briggs still available? At this point, the pickin's are slim. Let's hope Eli Harold blows up and turns into the second coming of Aldon.

lets see how the last two games play out.. he will be around in two weeks IF that is the way they want to go

Dockett and Freeney rushing the QB on 3rd down would be ideal

Yes.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Yes.

Osi Umenyiora just signed a one day contract with the Giants to retire, maybe we can talk him out of it.
sign that dood that blew his fingers off
No way teams will deal starting caliber pass rushers...you can never have too much of them on the roster...we just have to play with who we got...
Originally posted by Hitman49:
No way teams will deal starting caliber pass rushers...you can never have too much of them on the roster...we just have to play with who we got...

Right! There is no possible way a team like the Chargers would trade a top-flight pass rusher like Fred Dean to the Niners. It just doesn't happen!
Share 49ersWebzone