LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

2015 Preseason Game 2: Thoughts on the second preseason game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gbniner:
What is the best 49er sport talk radio? I'm not from the area, I'm stuck in the Green Bay area, so I'm not familiar with the radio in SF. I enjoy sport talk radio but not when it's all Packers. Any suggestions? 95.7 the game seems to be more Raiders

KNBR 680/1050 is the other local radio station. They mainly cover the 49ers, very little on the Raiders. Good weekly interviews with Tomsula, Greg Cosell, Brent Jones, Matt Barrows, Matt Maiocco.

Also check out the Better Rivals podcast on Niners Nation. They do a great job.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
What is the best 49er sport talk radio? I'm not from the area, I'm stuck in the Green Bay area, so I'm not familiar with the radio in SF. I enjoy sport talk radio but not when it's all Packers. Any suggestions? 95.7 the game seems to be more Raiders

KNBR 680/1050 is the other local radio station. They mainly cover the 49ers, very little on the Raiders. Good weekly interviews with Tomsula, Greg Cosell, Brent Jones, Matt Barrows, Matt Maiocco.

When Greg Cosell gives his input on 680 its a good listen, Murph and mac usually have him on Wednesdays to go over the most recent game and the next upcoming match up.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
When Greg Cosell gives his input on 680 its a good listen, Murph and mac usually have him on Wednesdays to go over the most recent game and the next upcoming match up.

Yup. He's my favorite national guy covering the 49ers. Usually very insightful in his analysis of the team.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out

np
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SoCold:
you mean thought from the second pre season game lol

Kapacino did ok, could have done some better things. I would like him to look DB off and not stare down receivers.

People have to stop thinking Hayne will ever run the ball as a RB in the regular season. He should make the team as a STer, that's it. He's real and he's good.

Thought Mike Davis looked decent against backups.

I think Armsteads knock is that he was a high draft pick but looks more like a 3rd round talent. Hope he pans out. Looks good vs the 2/3rd team OL. High draft picks like that should be dominating starters is where a lot of people are coming from on where he's at.

Patton has good skills but his mental game is where my questions are.

OL is a problem. Looney is not a starter. Kilgore's setback hurts.

I heard the Cowboys starters like Romo only played one series cause they didn't trust the grass, lol.

Roboman is a beast, we need him to stay healthy all year.

AA looked pretty good yesterday IMO, he's a rookie plan and simple. He was the 17th pick not the 1st and missed a good chunk of camp...I saw improvement from the first game which is what you want to see...I'm not comparing him to watt but he wasn't a rookie monster either, he had 5.5 sacks and 40 tackles, year two he blew up! Not sure what everyone is looking for out of him?

Looney didn't look bad at all, Kilgore is better but center isn't gonna be the issue on the line. I hope Thomas takes the RG spot.

No one said he was the first overall, a first rounder. First round picks should make a contributing in some way the first year. Think the main point is that people are upset with the pick based on what was available. AA prob won't contribute to the team this year. The team had a chance to take a CB or OL that would have helped this team more. The value of the pick overall was a question. Sure he could be good down the road but for a team that lost so much the pick has got to be questioned.

Still don't see Looney has anything but a backup. I think the OL could be an issue all year.

Yeah, I pick them up on my internet radio. I am not sure when they do their program. Seemed like some thoughtful commentators. As of last night their most recent program didn't cover the Dallas game.
[ Edited by Geckko on Aug 25, 2015 at 5:41 AM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
No one said he was the first overall, a first rounder. First round picks should make a contributing in some way the first year. Think the main point is that people are upset with the pick based on what was available. AA prob won't contribute to the team this year. The team had a chance to take a CB or OL that would have helped this team more. The value of the pick overall was a question. Sure he could be good down the road but for a team that lost so much the pick has got to be questioned.

Still don't see Looney has anything but a backup. I think the OL could be an issue all year.

Not sure on the CB part of your statement, I think the 3 guys we drafted last year+ Brock are all solid to very good. I'm kind of torn on the OLine part as I don't think the draft was strong on tackle/guard from my memory.

My only critique is that we should have taken a shot at La'el Collins as a UDFA.

Martin and Thomas were both drafted pretty high for Oline so why not give them a chance to replace the guys we lost? . 49ers thought Kilgore would be back by now and no one knew Davis was going to retire. So the 49ers actually thought they had a line of Staley, Boone, Kilgore, Davis, Martin and Thomas before the draft so why would they draft Oline high?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
its a raider station, Raiders cant do no wrong and 9ers can't do no right

Soon the Raiders will be in LA so there's that

Originally posted by Sourball:
I thought as a whole the team played pretty inspired. My only negative coming out of this game was settling for 3 points when they get in to the red zone.
As for Patton, if he breaks that one after losing yards everyone would be all over him. He tried, he failed, it's preseason. He made up for it with a TD on special teams later on. The guy has talent. I'd like to see him get some passes and get in to the flow of the game and see how he fares if he doesn't have to try to over-compensate for his lack of opportunities.

The sample size for the starting offense is too small to really know if this was a problem. With the backups it was quite obvious that the 2nd-3rd string line couldn't pass block to save their lives. Who knows what the starting offense would have done in subsequent drives with the full playbook at their disposal.

3 pts is better than the 3 and out that Romo orchestrated.

At any rate, preseason is a better time to see individual talent than team talent.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Sims84:

Martin and Thomas were both drafted pretty high for Oline so why not give them a chance to replace the guys we lost? . 49ers thought Kilgore would be back by now and no one knew Davis was going to retire. So the 49ers actually thought they had a line of Staley, Boone, Kilgore, Davis, Martin and Thomas before the draft so why would they draft Oline high?

pretty sure three OL were taken after us in the first round, think have a solid backup at an OL spot is more important than a project DL (in the first round)

I wanted them to take the best CB on the board when they drafted.

oh well
Originally posted by Sims84:

pretty sure three OL were taken after us in the first round, think have a solid backup at an OL spot is more important than a project DL (in the first round)

I wanted them to take the best CB on the board when they drafted.

oh well

What is aa doing wrong in the games so far ?
Originally posted by eastie:
I'm telling ya, if we put AA on one side and the Brit on the other during passing situations with some speed on the outside (Lynch, Harold) they will destroy the offense...

Agree!
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Kap hasn't shown much in terms off passing but I like the leadership he's shown.

Gabbert has made some positive steps. Still not convinced he's a #2 QB in this league.

Thompson looked better than last week but thats not saying much.

Carlos Hyde looks in regular season form. I hope he can stay healthy...we'll need him.

Mike Davis doesn't remind me of Garrison Hearst AT ALL lol ..... he looks to me like Travis Henry.

Gaskins did some good things in pass protection.

Bruce Miller is ready to rock again.

Nothing from Trey Millard.

Vance looks slimmer but still moves the same.

Celek has been playing with poor technique.

Grimble has size but haven't seen him block anyone.

Blake Bell looks average.

Joe Staley is ready for Week 1

Boone looks better on the left side than the right.

Looney is impressing me with his awareness.

Marcus Martin has a lot of growing up to do. He's not ready to start yet IMO.

Pears is quiet but solid, that's what you want from your tackle.

Trent Brown had some ups n downs but more ups.

Silberman looks really crappy. Slow feet.

Andrew Tiller plays strong but his technique is sloppy.

Patrick Miller is garbage.

Anquan is ready...obviously

I want to see Torrey Smith find his groove...right now he's playing robotic....typical for any receiver in a new system.

Patton plays silly. Hasn't shown enough improvement IMO. People rave that he's playing quick...he always played quick. The area he needed to get better was his release off the line and situational awareness...both areas dont appear to have improved.

Bruce Ellington needs to get healthy.

Jerome Simpson looks like the player he's always been. Good athlete who has decent hands and can make big catches if need be. Too bad he'll be gone for nearly two months.

DeAndrew White has looked explosive but not overly amazing. I want to see him beat press coverage some more. Last game he got jammed easily at the line.
Share 49ersWebzone